Thread: O_o
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 11:35 PM   #61
uBeR
Not ****** Yet
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
What great philosophies did 1910 bring us? I mean, yeah, classical philosophy came out of ancient times, but that's a fairly irrelevant point. Take a look at almost any branch of philosophy. It's improved significantly over time. Let's take a relevant example of political philosophy, which took a radical shift in the seventeenth century: the Age of Enlightenment. It was around this time that people began to question "who the rules applied to," much to chagrin of those in positions of power and authority. This is when ideas of modern democracy began to sprout, though they were often chided for "complicating" things and otherwise "causing drama." Political philosophy has certainly improved since then, though that is not to say there have not been people trying as hard as possible to revert to these bygone days were it was merely accepted that we not question "who the rules apply to," because we're suppose to acquiesce. People who prefer these old ways to new ideas are called conservatives. I also don't mean to imply we're currently in some kind of utopia, "the end of history," especially considering those who do wish to revert to these bygones days are very resolute. But I wouldn't say the 1970s were some high point in free and independent thought. I don't see any evidence for that. But how did free and independent thinkers even get there in the 1970s? It was previous struggles against the very perverse culture that adheres to principles of discipline and obedience to certain power structures. The culture is still there, as we've witnessed, but I believe it be slowly fading, even since, say, the 1970s.

One would think a simple task would be, well, simple. Maybe not for simpletons.
uBeR is offline   Reply With Quote