View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 05:20 AM   #13
Kiastral

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barronofhellion
you havent thought about satalite ???!? serious man i was a 56k gamer up to hl1 and then when road runner came along i thought i would try it, omg ill kill myself before going back ;p.. serious though theres all kinds of broadband and there probably the same price as the dial up connect !

Satalite has good download speeds, but a horrible *latency* which is your ping. Most have a ping of around 1 second (1000ms) due to the time it takes the signal to travel from your pc to the sat. and back to your pc. Anything above 400 or so is really unplayable.

I played on 56k up til about a year ago. I tried every possible tweak, fix and voodoo ritual possible to get my connection down. On a *hardware* modem, not a software modem (Winmodem) I have gotten under 100 ping with a well tweaked out network stack, good phone cables, etc. Having 56k isnt a death sentence for gamers, more like a life sentence without parole. There are several sites out that gives great tweaking guides, www.dslreports.com being the best I have found.
Kiastral is offline   Reply With Quote