Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Projects > Fortress Forever > Feature

Fixing the Jump Pad Issue Tools
issueid=369 08-23-2011 07:04 PM
Fixing the Jump Pad
Suggestion to improve the Jumppad for public play.

As we all know, the jumppad is almost worthless in public games. It can be destroyed extremely easily, and is destroyed almost every run on CTF maps.

My suggestion is to add an adjustable time limit to the jumppad before it will take damage. Lets say 15 seconds. It would reward players for placing a jump pad in a contested area and would make the jump pad more effective imo.
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature
Project Fortress Forever
Category Classes (Scout/Engineer/etc)
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version Undefined
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 2
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

08-24-2011 06:38 PM
Slayer of humans

Ya I think somewhere between 10 to 15 seconds would be good for something like this.
08-24-2011 09:15 PM

Give it the invulnerability it had in 2.42 for its lifetime in 2.42 but only on your own side of the base. Doubt its codeble but that would be nice
09-01-2011 05:27 AM
sKeeD

Maybe Engy's could upgrade it with armor?
09-01-2011 07:57 PM
Everyones favorite FreaK

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper18
Maybe Engy's could upgrade it with armor?
The idea is that when attacking, a scout can throw up a jump pad somewhere strategic, such as half way in the yard, or at the front / inside of the enemy base, and generally speaking Engineers don't hang out with friendly scouts, and most of the time they don't even leave the base, so it wouldn't be very useful if an engineer could "upgrade" it in any way considering there's rarely an Engineer around the scout.

I like to put one up at the Security/Enemy Cap Point on Openfire, so I can quickly jump to the flag and time a conc to bolt out of the base, I can succeed at it currently sometimes, but a nice 15 seconds of indestructibility would come in handy.
09-02-2011 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreaK367
I like to put one up at the Security/Enemy Cap Point on Openfire, so I can quickly jump to the flag and time a conc to bolt out of the base, I can succeed at it currently sometimes, but a nice 15 seconds of indestructibility would come in handy.
That's exactly the problem that caused them to be destructible in the first place. Well, at least one of the problems.
09-02-2011 02:18 AM
Everyones favorite FreaK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynian
That's exactly the problem that caused them to be destructible in the first place. Well, at least one of the problems.
What?, trying to use the tools you've got to get an edge over the enemy as the weakest class in the game against many of the strongest classes in the game in a small awkward flagroom?, CTF is often played as OvD, so you're attacking a full team of defenders. Which almost ALWAYS on Openfire means atleast 1 demo sitting back with pipes on the flag, multiple engineers with SG's up and dispensers ready to use as mines, and the rest as Soldiers. And made worse by the fact the flag is in it's own little enclosure in the wall protected by security which needs to be triggered first. And it's a similar story on most maps.

I think Offense is just going to get more and more nerfed over time because the majority of players just defend, and hate it when a good attacker betters them, I wouldn't be surprised if eventually the conc got nerfed -_-. Then again, that's exactly what offensive players are doing to the sniper because they can't handle someone being good at it.
09-02-2011 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreaK367
What?, trying to use the tools you've got to get an edge over the enemy as the weakest class in the game against many of the strongest classes in the game in a small awkward flagroom?, CTF is often played as OvD, so you're attacking a full team of defenders. Which almost ALWAYS on Openfire means atleast 1 demo sitting back with pipes on the flag, multiple engineers with SG's up and dispensers ready to use as mines, and the rest as Soldiers. And made worse by the fact the flag is in it's own little enclosure in the wall protected by security which needs to be triggered first. And it's a aimilar story on most maps.

I think Offense is just going to get more and more nerfed over time because the majority of players just defend, and hate it when a good attacker betters them. Then again, that's exactly what offensive players are doing to the sniper because they can't handle someone being good at it.
>scout
>weakest class in the game
>wellokay

It takes a fraction of a second to get the flag out of a defendable location in FF. Either spam dropitems, conc out, or, in previous patches, use a jump pad. Get the flag out of dest/ofire security? Good job, you have 60 seconds where security is now worthless, and if you have another option beyond concing (via jumppads), you can now do a conc + jp + conc to at least move the flag another few meters. Since you can't return flags in fortress games, that means a lot. Scouts being able to fly in at supersonic speeds with concs and hold 600 movespeed while bhopping is plenty.

I love the second paragraph, too. Go, strawmanning!
09-02-2011 04:13 AM
sKeeD

Please note that changing anything, even something seemingly small like the jump pad, will have an adverse effect on the game in its entirety.
There is nothing wrong with the jump pad as it is. There was everything wrong with it while it was invulnerable. The ability to place an invulnerable boost pad in front of a flag is not only lame, its borderline spam. That is, if you could do it, but even then; especially in games with smaller numbers of players.
What i was suggesting was aimed at pubs. An armor upgrade would increase the jump pad's survivability while its closer to the base. You argue that the friendly engineers wouldnt notice it, but if the ability was known to players, then they could actively seek them out to upgrade.
This armor could even be a function, like invulnerable to bullets, but not explosives or melee weapons.
Honestly, the jp is fine, but if your going to change it, lets not resort to changes that offer a great advantage without a consequence. The current jp accomplishes this. It essentially gives the scout a conc, but in return, it takes time to build, and can be destroyed. Meaning you cant place it anywhere and spam with it. This, ladies and gentlemen, is called BALANCE
09-02-2011 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper18
Please note that changing anything, even something seemingly small like the jump pad, will have an adverse effect on the game in its entirety.
There is nothing wrong with the jump pad as it is. There was everything wrong with it while it was invulnerable. The ability to place an invulnerable boost pad in front of a flag is not only lame, its borderline spam. That is, if you could do it, but even then; especially in games with smaller numbers of players.
What i was suggesting was aimed at pubs. An armor upgrade would increase the jump pad's survivability while its closer to the base. You argue that the friendly engineers wouldnt notice it, but if the ability was known to players, then they could actively seek them out to upgrade.
This armor could even be a function, like invulnerable to bullets, but not explosives or melee weapons.
Honestly, the jp is fine, but if your going to change it, lets not resort to changes that offer a great advantage without a consequence. The current jp accomplishes this. It essentially gives the scout a conc, but in return, it takes time to build, and can be destroyed. Meaning you cant place it anywhere and spam with it. This, ladies and gentlemen, is called BALANCE
This.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue