Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Projects > Fortress Forever > Bug

No fire visible on people in Crossover Issue Tools
issueid=287 05-04-2010 05:17 PM
Slayer of humans
No fire visible on people in Crossover
If you catch someone on fire in Crossover they flames don't show up.

Its been mentioned before and its a long standing bug. But when a pyro catches someone on fire, no flames show up. This can be very annoying for a pyro who is spy hunting because while they still are burning they can only go by the sounds the cloaked spy is making.
Issue Details
Project Fortress Forever
Category Visuals
Status Fixed
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version 2.4
Fixed Version (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 1
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

05-04-2010 06:35 PM

It's not just crossover, I've seen this happen in a lot of maps, probably the most in waterpolo.
05-12-2010 03:58 AM

So do we have any idea what causes this? I remember hearing that it had to do with the number of particles in the map, and we took the snow out of crossover to try and fix it.
05-12-2010 07:16 PM
Slayer of humans

No idea. Also not sure if this is related or not but there are no location tags or what ever they are called for the flag when its dropped.
05-12-2010 08:59 PM

Yeah, I know. They were there, but for some reason whoever did the last update hid the location triggers before compiling. Hopefully I can fix all these issues in one shot.

Does the flame bug happen every time, or is it semi-random? Can it be consistently reproduced?
05-12-2010 11:40 PM
Slayer of humans

ya it happens every time. Right from the start. Be a pyro, find an enemy, burn then, no flame, though they are taking damage and you can hear the pain sound.

One time someone suggested that it might have something to do with the stuff not taking as much damage because of the snow in the court yards or something like that. I don't know if thats true that sgs take less damage because of the snow, that could have something to do with it.
05-13-2010 02:08 AM

The snow thing sounds like a pure myth. I think it's probably a bug, similar to how sometimes explosion sprites for detonating pipes will disappear.

EDIT:

The particle limit thing might make sense. Waterpolo has the rain going on, which could interfere with the flame sprites.
05-13-2010 03:03 AM

snow is just a texture/effect. It has no effect on the game.

I think it's caused by the center of the coordinate space being underwater. I moved the entire map down and it seems to work.
05-13-2010 05:20 AM
Slayer of humans

Cool thanks :)
05-14-2010 04:58 PM
internet user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycarl
I think it's caused by the center of the coordinate space being underwater. I moved the entire map down and it seems to work.
Is it the same issue on waterpolo? The two inches of water etc. Could use lua to remove falling dmg instead of the water if thats how it is setup
05-14-2010 08:35 PM

I bet it is water-related, but the center of waterpolo is above the water.

I think it's something like the game thinking they are underwater and so the fire shouldn't show. Remember crossover used to have that bug where it sounded like you were underwater all the time.

It might also have to do with the fact that there's no info_intermission entity. I put one in crossover and that might be what fixed it. ...If it's fixed. I spawned some bots and set them on fire, and I saw flames.
02-22-2012 12:00 PM
Gets tickled by FF

Did we fix this or anything?
02-22-2012 08:56 PM
Stuff Do-er

Crazycarl fixed this a while ago. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVN log
Crossover:
-hopefully invisible fire is fixed for good

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue