Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Projects > Fortress Forever > Feature

Spare ammo dropping mechanic Issue Tools
issueid=329 12-14-2010 07:23 PM
Flamer of Worlds
Spare ammo dropping mechanic
Essentially giving fixed values in the config or a few cvars for the user to input.

The "dropping spare ammo" mechanic didn't sit well with me considering that people can still get pwned with a few well placed emps and a few shotgun blasts to the face.

Therefor why not put in a cvar or two that allows a player to drop a percentage (or fixed values) of their ammo supply?

Pros: It means less of an overpowered defense in the enemy base (emps don't do as much damage, or no damage at all to light/medium classes) and improves over all skill...

Cons: None that I see, other than engineers spamming the cvar to blow up the bag against the enemy, but that mechanic already exists.
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature
Project Fortress Forever
Category Classes (Scout/Engineer/etc)
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version Undefined
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 2
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-15-2010 03:02 AM

As the game stands now I'm in favor of it. Just a command to drop a certain number of each ammo would be good.

EMP will probably get replaced with something else eventually. The ammo system is kind of weird. Why are scouts ever able to carry rockets?
12-15-2010 11:20 AM
Flamer of Worlds

Your guess is as good as mine. Multible cvars wouldn't be a bad idea either.

The purists would still want the classic way of it, so by default why not make it drop the spare ammo the player has. Then if the user chooses, drop user defined values with nails, rockets, etc.

And/or a cvar that allows the player to drop a percentage.
12-15-2010 02:52 PM
NeoNL

There should be bars in the fortress options to determine how much of each ammo you drop (which of course can be changed by command if needed). Take a look at ETF as an example
12-15-2010 05:40 PM
Slayer of humans

what annoys me most about the ammo drop system is when I play sniper and I ask for ammo and someone drops a bag next to me as they are running past and it doesn't have ammo for the sniper. It doesn't matter what class it is, there is never ammo for the sniper.

Only time a sniper gets ammo for his gun is if he picks up a bag from a dead person.

I also wish the emp would take out the pyros again no matter how much ammo they have on them and this is coming from someone who plays pyro.
12-15-2010 05:57 PM
NeoNL

It drops whatever ammo you don't use as that class, and just about every class uses bullets so.. the specify what ammo you want to drop should be implemented. It's not like your REALLY need 100 shotgun shells/bullets same with rockets.
12-16-2010 11:02 PM

I guess? I honestly don't think this is too bad, the only problem I see is that EMPs are spotty as hell. I can drop two bags + emp a medic and it'll do nothing, then I'll get instagibbed as a scout on offense when I know for a FACT I dropped my bag and there was nothing near me when I blew up.

Same kinda thing with dispensers, although they're usually somewhat better, although I can det a half filled disp two yards away from someone and they're fine.

</threadjack>

But yeah do this if you want, I suppose, but to me it just seems like another confusing mechanic that might throw off newbies.
12-17-2010 02:07 AM

Configuring how much of each type to ammo to drop? By class..? Ugh...talk about pointless complexity.

Some stupid ideas:

- Getting hit with an EMP causes no initial damage, but effects all the ammo you are currently carrying: grenades have a X percent chance to be duds, bullets have a Y percent chance of misfiring, rockets/pipes have a Z percent chance of firing but not exploding.
- Not sure about pyros, perhaps the flamethrower keeps working, but with a percent chance of exploding the tank for big damage.
- Resupply bags of any size restore all ammo to normal
- Discard button works as normal, but now is only useful for sharing ammo with teammates who are low, or contributing found metal to an engy. Or eliminate it altogether as no one ever does those things anyway.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue