Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Projects > Fortress Forever > Feature

Sentry View + Spah Control. Issue Tools
issueid=264 01-30-2010 11:19 PM
Ambassador of Everything.
Sentry View + Spah Control.
Combining two ideas I've seen so far into one pretty awesome one.

I've seen two ideas, one where the Engineer has the option of taking control of his own Sentry and the second where the Spy can change the direction of the sapped sentry.

The Engineer should have a feature where he can control his sentry directly and even have its perspective to look through. A balance can be set on it by giving the Engineer a limited time of control on it before the 'control chip' depletes and he has to smack it with the wrench to replace it. I think it's balanced already because when he controls it, he's gotta have freaking amazing aim to shoot at scouts going 140MPH through the base. The main advantage here is being able to spot Spies and spy check as well from a distance.

The Spy can sabotage the Sentry and gain perspective control as well. His shots will only hurt the opposing team. The moment he turns it on, he has control of the sentry for one 'duration'. He can fire a burst then act like a natural sentry, or many other things. Then after one or more of four things can happen:
1. It goes back to normal, allowing the spy to go back and sabotage it again.
2. It goes into regular sabotage mode where it attacks automatically and explodes.
3. It explodes, either by itself or because the Spy decides to shoot too close to a surrounding wall or floor, and the rockets launched cause damage to the sentry itself.
4. The Engineer can hit the sentry with his wrench to disable control before or during the Spy's control.
5. The ammo is depleted.

Addition:
"Player fires bullets with mouse1; rockets with mouse2" -Moosh.
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature
Project Fortress Forever
Category Classes (Scout/Engineer/etc)
Status Rejected
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version Undefined
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 2
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-31-2010 09:53 AM
WhenNailGrenWillOut?

I really like the sentry idea. Being able to shoot bullets w/ Mouse1 rockets w/ Mouse2 sounds hella fun.
07-09-2010 10:18 AM
WhenNailGrenWillOut?

Are you Paul the Octopus? Fucking hell tf2 totally stole the idea and you foresaw it.
07-09-2010 04:41 PM
Stuff Do-er

It's been an idea thrown around since forever on the FF forums. I'm pretty sure it was even in the "don't suggest this because we're not doing it and it's been suggested too many times thread" in the old Ideas and Suggestions forums.

Auto aim is better in all aspects than manual aim (except maybe for rockets).
07-09-2010 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosh
http://i27.tinypic.com/2el6yrc.png

Are you Paul the Octopus? Fucking hell tf2 totally stole the idea and you foresaw it.

THEY STOLE MY IDEA. LET'S PRESS CHARGES.
07-09-2010 08:17 PM
Banned

TF2 is always 'stealing ideas' because their community wants about the same stuff our community wants. The only difference is that their community actually gets the stuff they want. The development team over there manages to act as a middle man, the filter that allows the community to drive the game, taking suggestions that would otherwise be overpowered or out of place and trying to at-least make them work before writing them off. Many other games have development teams that overestimate their power — teams that still think they know what's good for a game despite the fact that it hasn't been working for some time at the expense of their fan-base.

... KINDA LIKE THIS ONE.

By the way, there's more than one reason why manual aim is better than automatic aim:
  • No longer limited by detection range. Can fire outside of it.
  • Can attack enemies who use 'edging' to negate automatic lockon speeds.
  • Can manuever the SG faster, if turn speed is relative to mouse speed.
  • Can prioritize targets instead of shooting the closer or first one.
  • Can shoot on disguised or cloaked spies
  • Can predict with the rocket launcher
07-10-2010 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget
Many other games have development teams that overestimate their power — teams that still think they know what's good for a game despite the fact that it hasn't been working for some time at the expense of their fan-base.
... KINDA LIKE THIS ONE.
Kinda like Communism? Hmmm.
That's some food for thought. I won't lie.
07-12-2010 08:55 PM

The wrangler is very powerful. Too bad I can't try it out because I haven't found it yet. The most game-changing part of the engy update is the ability to pick up buildings and move them. That combined with the mini-sentry makes offensive engineer possible, and potentially really annoying.

Remember what Valve has that we don't have: Great programming/art/testing resources. They can prototype stuff easily and quickly eliminate what won't work. We can't test every idea that comes along because our time is precious. If Valve wants to poll the community for ideas, they have a huge player base which will give good results. Here, three or four people with a certain opinion can skew things their way just by being louder. Some people want TFC:Source. Some people want classes removed. Some people like what we have now but want AAA graphics. Some people want a lot of off-the wall features which may or may not work. So we can't listen to the community when they don't have a coherent voice.

The goal of the original dev team (of which only a few are still around) was to re-create TFC, and then improve upon it. After the initial release, they started leaving, until the current crop of devs came along about two years ago. It's taken a long time for us newbies to become willing to cut the work that was done before. Our philosophy now is: identify what we like about TFC/FF (and we are a pretty diverse bunch--pretty representative of the community, imo), and to accentuate that. We have huge threads in the dev forums where we hash that out.

If we decide that a feature runs counter to our design goals, we may cut it out. That's what happened with the gas grenade. It ran counter to the spy class, and the game as a whole. As I recall, nobody on the team at that time was opposed to removing it, so it was done. Putting it to a community vote would not have really influenced our decision. That may seem autocratic, and it is. Somebody has to design the game, and it's us, for better or worse.
07-12-2010 10:40 PM
Gets tickled by FF

so... damn.. beautiful

it brought a tear to my eye *sniffs*
07-13-2010 01:18 AM
Banned

I have heard the argument time and time over that the development team has limited resources and time available to test community suggestions. I originally considered that and could understand it. However, since joining the beta, I don't anymore. Without revealing anything (I know how secretive you guys like to be. You apparently do this to combat rumors and to prevent confusion, yet that's the exact opposite of what it does. It just fuels rumors and creates confusion, because there's no reliable source telling the community what's true and false and in the works or being tested.) the stuff you guys are testing in the current beta isn't even top priority or necessary. If you have limited time, why are you not trying to iron out the huge problems or adding the stuff people want?
07-13-2010 01:28 AM
internet user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget
I have heard the argument time and time over that the development team has limited resources and time available to test community suggestions. I originally considered that and could understand it. However, since joining the beta, I don't anymore. Without revealing anything (I know how secretive you guys like to be. You apparently do this to combat rumors and to prevent confusion, yet that's the exact opposite of what it does. It just fuels rumors and creates confusion, because there's no reliable source telling the community what's true and false and in the works or being tested.) the stuff you guys are testing in the current beta isn't even top priority or necessary. If you have limited time, why are you not trying to iron out the huge problems or adding the stuff people want?
What do you think is top priority? I'm working on what is top priority. What you think is top priority is entirely subjective and irrelevant. I think you don't even know "what we're testing". There is goofy shit in the beta. Does that mean it's our current priority? No
07-13-2010 01:37 AM
Stuff Do-er

Take this conversation to the beta forums if you want to continue it, Bridget.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue