Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Projects > Fortress Forever > Feature

ff_dustbowl not finishing when 3rd cp is capped Issue Tools
issueid=310 09-09-2010 07:00 PM
Pew pew ze beams
ff_dustbowl not finishing when 3rd cp is capped

ff_dustbowl is a great fun map, but would be even better if it didnt ended when the 3rd cp was caped, and just switched teams over and restarted the round, i also defend this because all the map votes plugins out there work based on time remaining so if a map ends after 10 minutes you will not have any option to vote for the nextmap, it will just change map to the next one in the maprotation wich sucks, to play always the same 2 same maps.
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature
Project Fortress Forever
Category Mapping
Status Rejected
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version 2.4
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

09-09-2010 07:55 PM

I'm kind of against this. The whole point of dustbowl is that it's AvD and not I/D in that it's a played out game of attrition, so getting down to the last cap used to have some significance. In TFC and FF 1.0 you had close games like this all time. Now due to changes in FF it's over in a fraction of the time and the map is basically ruined, thus dustbowl only gets a fraction of playtime.

I'd rather see the game get balanced so that AvD maps work again rather than just turn everything into a capfest. I enjoy close games, not simply taking turns to be on the winning team (which is what most AvD and I/D games are now). Here's to hoping 2.5 will correct the AvD balance that's been destroyed from previous versions.
09-10-2010 06:39 PM
Pew pew ze beams

cap the 3rd point will still have significance cuse its hard :p and you can play it longer and dont play always the same map next in map rotation.
09-10-2010 07:06 PM

It may be a little tricky, but the 3rd cap is easier than it's ever been now. You can now fire rockets at the sg's from the back corner of the gate without getting targetted, sg's won't stop you with push, you can lay jump pads on the bridge before the the final stretch, sending you flying at the cap, and people get blindsided by spies all the time through the tunnel. It's been very rare when I've seen D actually hold dustbowl since the progressive changes.
09-12-2010 01:54 AM
Pew pew ze beams

i dunno what server you usually play but i see a lot of times holding it untill the time ends D :
09-13-2010 03:05 AM

I'd like to see both teams get at least one chance to attack or defend. It's not easy to balance a map so that matches come right up to the time limit and either team can win.

I've been messing around with the scoring for I/D maps to try and make it fair and intuitive. However, my solution also ends the map before the time limit is up and yes, it interferes with voting. There's no good way to avoid this situation and still give both teams an equal chance attacking.

For example, if there's one minute left in the map, it's not fair to start a new round, because that team won't have much time to cap. In that case we can either extend the map by raising mp_timelimit, or call a function to end the map early.

It would seem to me a better solution to do voting when the map ends, not while the match is still going on.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue