Go Back   Fortress Forever > Projects > Fortress Forever > Feature

Gas Grenades and Snipers Issue Tools
issueid=2 01-04-2009 02:21 AM
Gas Grenades and Snipers
Snipers can make Gas Grenades explode

Example Suggested Feature:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~kev~
Spy drops gas grenade - as its spewing the cloud of green toxic gas everywhere, a sniper shoots the grenade. Grenade goes "boom" damaging anyone that happens to be standing near by, regardless of team.
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature
Project Fortress Forever
Category General Game
Status Rejected
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 4
Votes against this feature 10
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-04-2009 07:49 AM
Pub Allstar!

This would be interesting to test. I do not think it would have much affect on gameplay inherently. Possibility of being abused.

Extras: Perhaps make it a physics object that can be destroyed by any class.
01-04-2009 07:52 AM
Useless

Aside from not making sense, are you really expected to be able to see the grenade within the gas cloud, and/or the people inside of it?

Impractical, nonsensical, just plain weird.
01-04-2009 02:46 PM
Comic Artist

It seems.... impractical to me.
01-04-2009 02:49 PM
pmagnvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
Aside from not making sense, are you really expected to be able to see the grenade within the gas cloud, and/or the people inside of it?

Impractical, nonsensical, just plain weird.
????? What are you taking about?

What happens when you take an object that has something compressed inside of it, and the contents are suddenly released? Have you ever popped a balloon? Have you ever set off a fire cracker or bottle rocket?

The gas grenade is the same principle. The grenade has compressed gas inside of it. Instead of the gas being released slowly, the shot from the sniper allows the gas to escape all at one time.

Its like the difference between a slow leak in your car tire and having a blow out while driving.
01-04-2009 03:11 PM

explosive decompression and explode are two different things.

What would the point be if you just forced out all the gas faster and in a wider surface area. Other than infecting more people more quickly for the spy (so hopefully he's on your team.)

For it to "Explode" (fire and all that jazz) the gas would have to be flammable. I agree with Circ here. There's not much of a point to it, and it appears to make no sense at all.
01-04-2009 03:19 PM

first it would be cool, anytime you add more detail it adds replay value and fun for the hardcore player.

but the average new guy would prob never even think to shoot it, and or not even zoom in on it cause hes too busy learning how to play.

as a regular sniper, i have and do zoom in on wierd things such as grenades and have thought of this just to end the gas and move by (especially when they gas respawn)

ultimately id say it comes down to-> is there someone who can do this with out wasting too much time. since this could be categorized as an easter egg or trick
01-04-2009 03:33 PM
Banned

The gas grenade is open when it's spewing its contents, so I don't see how it could explode to begin with. Nonetheless, even if it were closed, the resulting explosion would be mechanical as opposed to chemical or nuclear or anything. Now, if shooting it spewed shrapnel, then it would make sense, but for it to explode and produce something akin to the frag grenade.. No. EDIT: I see you suggested all the gas be released quickly. This makes no sense, either. You'd just be doing the spy a favor. :/
01-04-2009 03:39 PM
Heartless Threadkiller

Why? Is it made of cheap plastic? No, it's metal(or at least, it looks like metal to me, as well as bounces like it's made of metal).... ergo, if it were to explode, there would be shrapnel.

I'd consider it a skill shot, and let it happen.
01-04-2009 04:22 PM
Time Lord, Doctor

IMO I would rather see burnable gas which does radius damage in the area. And pyros immune to the toxic gas effects but still be damaged by the explosion.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue