Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Projects > Fortress Forever > Bug

Snipers can't shoot through grates Issue Tools
issueid=66 01-06-2009 03:51 AM
Snipers can't shoot through grates

I don't know if this is a bug or intentional, but the sniper rifle is the only hitscan weapon that won't shoot through grates, chainlink fences, etc. AC, autorifle, and shotguns all shoot through, while projectiles like nails and rockets hit. For consistency's sake shouldn't sniper shots act like other hitscan weapons?
Issue Details
Project Fortress Forever
Category General Game
Status Awaiting Feedback
Priority 10 - Lowest
Affected Version 2.1
Fixed Version (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 2
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-06-2009 07:02 AM
FF Whiner

Shouldn't all the weapons be blocked by the gate just as the player is blocked by it?

Look at ff_avanti_classic for example. The 30 seconds waiting time before the gates at the start of the attacking team open have the same issue. I always thought this was a problem with gates only on that map.

You also have the thing with maps that have rosters placed on area's to walk over, like balconies (Take 2nd cap point on Anticitizen for example). If you place a turret on top of those rosters and an enemy walk underneath it, the turret will be able to lock on and shoot, through the roster if needed. "Luckily", players like scouts and medics can shoot back with nailguns and shotguns to "clear" the turret.

So I'm getting the idea it's a global property of a gate / roster which allows this to happen, regardless of the sniper being able or not able to do it...
01-06-2009 01:38 PM
Stupid Idea Mill

What is a Roster?
01-06-2009 04:57 PM
FF Whiner

oh, meant a grate of course :)
01-06-2009 05:46 PM

I'm not talking about starting gates--those should of course block everything and it's easily fixed. Any material that uses the surface property "metalgrate" or "chainlink" is supposed to let bullets pass through.
01-07-2009 04:53 PM
Gets tickled by FF

I also do believe that they should go through
01-08-2009 07:39 AM
German fag since 80´s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycarl
I'm not talking about starting gates--those should of course block everything and it's easily fixed. Any material that uses the surface property "metalgrate" or "chainlink" is supposed to let bullets pass through.
So a gate is not a wall.... the most gates are open for real.... but only half of the classes can shoot through..... close it or open it.. my opinion... and in real life most gates can shoot through
03-07-2009 04:41 AM
FFapper

There are certain other odd places spread among the maps sniper rifles cant shoot through as well. The open area between pipes on some hand rails, the big vertical bars that make up the sewer grates on dropdown when closed... the fenced vent where the flag is on the same map just a couple of examples.
03-08-2009 02:08 PM
Exceedingly Correct.

Snipers can't shoot into water either.
03-08-2009 03:12 PM

?

IIRC, I've killed plenty of underwater enemies from 2fort's battlements.
03-08-2009 05:02 PM
Exceedingly Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox11
?

IIRC, I've killed plenty of underwater enemies from 2fort's battlements.
Then it's a Well thing because I can never damage anyone underwater on Well and I've shot so many people in that situation.
03-09-2009 07:51 AM
FF Whiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by xks
Then it's a Well thing because I can never damage anyone underwater on Well and I've shot so many people in that situation.
No problem with that here. Was playing ff_well yesterday and shot Bully a few times with the sniper through the water, near that room with the water and bridge in it.

Might be a graphic setting?
03-12-2009 01:35 PM
Exceedingly Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawh
No problem with that here. Was playing ff_well yesterday and shot Bully a few times with the sniper through the water, near that room with the water and bridge in it.

Might be a graphic setting?
I run all the graphics on max but I would be surprised if the graphics did this.

If I'm outside the water, say at the spawn exit on well and a demoman comes to blow the grate and drops into the water. I am genuinely unable to damage him the moment he goes beneath the surface and I am really not missing this shot often.

I will have to get it on demo when I play FF again.
03-20-2009 09:07 PM

I've killed tons of players in the water on Well...

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue