Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Projects > Fortress Forever > Bug

Cloaked spies "drawn" Issue Tools
issueid=76 01-18-2009 09:16 PM
Cloaked spies "drawn"
Sniper laser can reveal spies

As much as I like this as Sniper, I believe it's not fair for the Spies. Also, I don't really would classify it as a bug, but I guess it's the most aproximate thing.

When playing as Sniper, you can "know" the position of a cloaked Spy nearby thanks to the laser dot, because even though the Spy is invisible, the laser still "hits" him. You can then know where the Spy is and shot him by dot size comparision - you crouch, and aim perpendicularly to the ground, like "scanning" the area; if the dot suddenly appears bigger than it should, the Spy is there. It's not much and not really important, but enough if you know that a Spy is wandering around in a specific room or area.

Listed it as a bug because I would assume that if you can't see the Spy, the laser dot shouldn't be able to hit him either.
Issue Details
Project Fortress Forever
Category Classes (Scout/Engineer/etc)
Status Not a Bug
Priority 10 - Lowest
Affected Version 2.1
Fixed Version (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 2
Users unable to reproduce bug 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-18-2009 11:38 PM

I completely disagree. It makes sense for the laser to "hit" the spy as his cloak is not engineered to make him completely invisible. It's supposed to make him more difficult to see, but not disappear.

That said, if it is bending light as most science fiction conceptions of "cloak" go then when the laser hits him it would change as well. Have you ever played hunted? The laser in that changes as well.

That's all just opinion of conceptually driven stuff. But in terms of game play, I also think that being able to avoid being sniped would make the spy too powerful. That is basically all you can argue for. Because if you can still see him with your own plain eyes, then why does the laser not see him? (a reverse of your questions)
01-19-2009 12:44 AM
Official FF Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryLife
I completely disagree. It makes sense for the laser to "hit" the spy as his cloak is not engineered to make him completely invisible. It's supposed to make him more difficult to see, but not disappear.

That said, if it is bending light as most science fiction conceptions of "cloak" go then when the laser hits him it would change as well. Have you ever played hunted? The laser in that changes as well.

That's all just opinion of conceptually driven stuff. But in terms of game play, I also think that being able to avoid being sniped would make the spy too powerful. That is basically all you can argue for. Because if you can still see him with your own plain eyes, then why does the laser not see him? (a reverse of your questions)
I don't understand your second question.

From what I gather there's two possible ways to make something invisible; you can bend the light around an object, thus rendering it near invisible, or you can do what they did in that one Bond movie and have tiny cameras and tiny projectors. If it's the first one, then it would make sense for the laser to bend around him, with some possible distortion, and if it's the second then it would make sense for the laser to hit him since the light isn't being affected at all. With the way the laser acts now, it's like the second option, but it could still be possible to do the first one with some distortion of the dot. But I do think we should leave it as it is now for the sake of balance. It'll probably only really come into play in Hunted type maps for the time being anyways.
01-19-2009 01:46 AM
Banned

if you want to get technical, the laser should go through him as its a cloak, in other words his suit is bending the light around him making it appear he isnt there. alas! the science channel! although this isnt possible for the devs to do.
01-19-2009 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demasu
I don't understand your second question.

From what I gather there's two possible ways to make something invisible; you can bend the light around an object, thus rendering it near invisible, or you can do what they did in that one Bond movie and have tiny cameras and tiny projectors. If it's the first one, then it would make sense for the laser to bend around him, with some possible distortion, and if it's the second then it would make sense for the laser to hit him since the light isn't being affected at all. With the way the laser acts now, it's like the second option, but it could still be possible to do the first one with some distortion of the dot. But I do think we should leave it as it is now for the sake of balance. It'll probably only really come into play in Hunted type maps for the time being anyways.
You didn't understand it... but you got the point perfectly haha. I have been rather inarticulate lately.

But the point is that the "technicality" of it doesn't matter as much as the impact on game play. However, the technicality favors the dot being visible. Laser's are not like normal light. Normal light moves forward in many directions whereas a laser moves in only one direction. It's also a different frequency. These things change its properties and how it reacts to certain objects. This means that anything made to bend light wouldn't "Bend" the laser in the same way. The laser may very likely be distorted, but again it's a perfectly straight line so as soon as it gets distorted it would give away the spy just as easily if not more so.

Again, I remind everyone that the technicality is of little importance. We're talking fiction here, so in essence it doesn't matter. In the way that this impacts gameplay, it makes the spies capable of being seen, however still more difficult than not being cloaked. This results in a balanced advantage. It's still possible for a good sniper to find you, but they have to work harder than normal which gives you an edge if you're a good player. Talent becomes the equalizer not the feature. I think it's fine the way it is.
01-25-2009 07:43 PM

The snipers on both teams actually have a sempirian laser that is used in their sights, this is a physical laser that isn't bent by a cloak and it's why it scatters on contact. Congrats the engineers of both red and blue for coming up with the idea. (Although I have heard that blue stole the plans from red).

Scuzzy
01-25-2009 10:19 PM

Well I actually designed it for the Red team but when I found out they were using it as a weapon I got together with Val Kilmer and took the technology to the Blue team as to balance the battle and thus, nullifying our impact on the great war.
01-26-2009 12:06 PM
Pub Allstar!

Action confirmed. If this works as intended it needs to be documented and added to the hints for both spy and sniper. Hidden features might as well be bugs.
03-07-2009 04:22 AM
FFapper

laser should shine in your eyes if its aimed there.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue