Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Projects > Fortress Forever > Bug

Detdispenser command causing buffer overflow in some situations Issue Tools
issueid=295 05-22-2010 01:55 AM
Detdispenser command causing buffer overflow in some situations
Ruins some script functionality for me, may catch others by surprise.

Edit: I have since redacted this entry. As it turns out, this bug was caused by an alias in my script having the same name as an actual command. Here is the corrected script:

Code:
//Simplified build/destroy interface
alias Rsentry "detsentry; wait 20; sentrygun ;bind mouse2 +melee2"
alias Rdispenser "detdispenser; wait 20; dispenser; bind mouse2 +melee2"
//Dismantle commands
alias salvagesentry "dismantlesentry; wait 20; sentrygun; bind mouse2 +melee2"
alias salvagedispenser "dismantledispenser; wait 20; dispenser; bind mouse2 +melee2"
//Bind setup
Alias destsent "bind 1 Rsentry"
Alias destdisp "bind 2 Rdispenser"
//Shift mode bind setup
Alias shiftsent "bind 1 salvagesentry"
Alias shiftdisp "bind 2 salvagedispenser"
//Shift binds
Alias +destructoff "shiftsent; shiftdisp"
Alias -destructoff "destsent; destdisp"
Bind mouse4 +destructoff
-destructoff
Issue Details
Project Fortress Forever
Category General Game
Status Not a Bug
Priority 10 - Lowest
Affected Version 2.4
Fixed Version (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 1
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

05-22-2010 02:10 AM
Stuff Do-er

It's likely something with your script. Just doing detdispenser without a dispenser built doesn't normally crash the game.

By the way, you might want to just use the built-in commands "detdismantlesentry" and "detdismantledispenser". They will give you roughly the same results as your script.
05-22-2010 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek.
It's likely something with your script. Just doing detdispenser without a dispenser built doesn't normally crash the game.

By the way, you might want to just use the built-in commands "detdismantlesentry" and "detdismantledispenser". They will give you roughly the same results as your script.
Didn't know there was a detdismantle for dispenser, too. I guess it makes sense. While that won't come close to replacing my script, it may simplify it.
05-23-2010 05:03 AM
internet user

Why do you rebind mouse2 to melee in the aliases, am I missing something?
err, is melee2 the menu? heh
05-23-2010 09:49 AM

I have a whole scripting system set up, and what I posted was only a fragment. You can get rid of that part if you just want something that autodestroys and rebuilds or dismantles.

If you're curious I guess I could upload my .cfgs to mediafire or something. Bugs are ironed out, and I like the rebinds much better. Every weapon (not nades) is on the mouse somehow, and it's designed around 5 buttons, but could easily be modified for 3 if you were so inclined.

The "melee2" referred to is a melee 'mode' i invented for tf2, which would work here as well if i were to replace the built dispenser command with the "blueprint" thing. Basically, it executes the attack command a split second before selecting the wrench so that the weapon switch doesn't interfere with the blueprint before you can execute it. Great for tf2, select the blueprint, execute it, and you already have your wrench out and are wacking it a split second after you put it down. That whole script section is awesome for putting up a gun fast in tf2.

Here it's better than the radial, but the commands make the melee function obsolete for the most part, and since there are no modded servers that let you built multiple buildings, there's really no need for the 'shift' mode either.