Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Weapon slots suggestion (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=23320)

harmonyofchaos3514 03-22-2012 06:59 PM

Weapon slots suggestion

Hi All,

this is my second post, after playing this game again recently, I had a neat idea. for the weapon slots, 1) Primary 2) secondary 3) tertiary 4) melee being last in this, then 5, 6, etc.... buildables? maybe get rid of the shotgun when they have a super shotgun. In reality the crowbar is a novelty item, with that said, although a staple representation of half-life could be ditched in all honesty. My idea is to simplify this game, because coming back to it after all this time, it is a pretty confusing game. I don't see this game ever really becoming popular to more than the community itself, but there should still be an attempt to better it for incoming players.

Scout:
1) Nailgun 2) shotgun 3) .......... 4) crowbar 5) jump pad
Sniper:
1) sniper gun 2) AR gun 3) nailgun 4) crowbar
Soldier:
1) RPG 2) super shotgun 3) shotgun 4) crowbar
Demoman:
1) pipegun 2) det gun 3) shotgun 4) crowbar 5) detbomb
Medic: (rename combat medic? so people dont think its like tf2 medic)
1) Super nail gun 2) super shot gun 3) shotgun 4) medic pack
HWGuy:
1) big gun 2) super shotgun 3) shotgun 4) crowbar
Pyro:
1) flame thrower 2) napalm launcher 3)shotgun 4) crowbar
Spy:
1) tranq 2) super shotgun 3) shotgun 4) knife
engi:
1) railgun 2) super shotgun shotgun 3) shotgun 4) wrench 5) buildable 1 6) buildable 2

aleXtric 03-22-2012 07:00 PM

unnecessary, people can figure it out. the weapons are in the right spots now.

Elmo 03-22-2012 07:17 PM

well... I don't think that's all such a bad idea to be honest.

For everyone who's in the game already knows about config not hard to put "bind 1 slot2" for the old config set.

I'm not saying we'd change it but I see the sense behind what he's suggested.

harmonyofchaos3514 03-22-2012 09:18 PM

I can tell the staff isnt afraid to make this game its own identity, I like the idea of separating from the staple TFC design, I like the idea of getting away from tfc, I like the slow grenade and the force push, and the laser grenade, it give the game its own identity and I think the further this game develops away from the TFC, the greater it will become. TFC was an imperfect game, fun, but flawed, I like the games roots came from TFC, and I like its becoming its own man, and not the child of TFC. :) I like what the staff is doing with the game, innovating instead of replicating.

squeek. 03-22-2012 10:10 PM

Making the weapon slots more intuitive is something that's been talked about for a while but never acted upon. I think if we had an option to keep the TFC-style weapon slots it could be a decent change.

Ricey 03-22-2012 10:21 PM

The only thing I dislike about the list is the engy slots, it should be Spanner, railgun,shotgun, buildables. Spanner and Railgun should always be next to each other.

Edit:

Also, it's a Spanner not a wrench.

PS. If you dont get it, then go diaf.

Elmo 03-23-2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey (Post 492364)
Also, it's a Spanner not a wrench.

You're a spanner.

Raynian 03-25-2012 08:42 AM

It's intuitive enough as it is.

1 is always melee. Class specific melee if needed.

2 is typically the weakest weapon - the single shotty, for instance, or the railgun/tranq gun. (You have to remember, the railgun was a piece of shit backup weapon in TFC, or occasionally used on O engi to snipe buildings.) Sniper is misplaced here. Of course. (fuck the sniper)

3 is often the super shotty. 'nuff said. A great weapon, not weak, but not the mainstay of most classes.

4 is the nailgun (scout/sniper) or super nailgun, or for other classes, their second "strongest" weapon. Flamethrower, blue pipes.

5 is the "big guns". Assault cannon, IC, RPG, green pipes.

If you want to customize your keys, go into your .cfgs and do it yourself. bind 1 slot1 bind 2 slot2 etcetcetc.

AfterShock 03-25-2012 01:41 PM

In my mind the bigger problem is classes with empty weapon slots. The demoman has slot1 slot2 slot4 slot5. How does that make any sense?

The exact order (1 = most powerful, 5 = melee OR 1 = melee, 5 = most powerful) isn't as important IMO, although mirroring the industry standard isn't a bad thing.

Counter strike has knife in 3 right? Pistol 2, main weapon 1. But that has it's own problems: You always have slot3, and usually slot2 (unless out of ammo or dropped), and only slot1 after you've bought or picked up a weapon.

I guess you could argue that it makes more sense if slot1 is ALWAYS there, and then increasing numbers increase in power.

/onfence

FDA_Approved 03-25-2012 05:54 PM

It used to bug me when I first started playing. I thought the main weapons should have been slot 1 and melee in the last slot. I also think it's weird to have empty slots. But it really doesn't bother me any more.

One thing I'd really like to see is the slots in the keymaping options. I find it rather stupid that they're not. Sure you can just bind slot1 to what ever ect. But it should be easier and more accessible to others. Not every one is so savy to what binds what.

KubeDawg 03-25-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FDA_Approved (Post 492423)
It used to bug me when I first started playing. I thought the main weapons should have been slot 1 and melee in the last slot. I also think it's weird to have empty slots. But it really doesn't bother me any more.

One thing I'd really like to see is the slots in the keymaping options. I find it rather stupid that they're not. Sure you can just bind slot1 to what ever ect. But it should be easier and more accessible to others. Not every one is so savy to what binds what.

Agreed, although I have my engineer setup to start with his Super Shotgun with lastinv going directly to the Spanner. It would be cool to have some class-specific keymapping options.

Raynian 03-25-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfterShock (Post 492422)
In my mind the bigger problem is classes with empty weapon slots. The demoman has slot1 slot2 slot4 slot5. How does that make any sense?

The exact order (1 = most powerful, 5 = melee OR 1 = melee, 5 = most powerful) isn't as important IMO, although mirroring the industry standard isn't a bad thing.

Counter strike has knife in 3 right? Pistol 2, main weapon 1. But that has it's own problems: You always have slot3, and usually slot2 (unless out of ammo or dropped), and only slot1 after you've bought or picked up a weapon.

I guess you could argue that it makes more sense if slot1 is ALWAYS there, and then increasing numbers increase in power.

/onfence

I feel removing the empty slots would just confuse some people. Why would 3 be for demo pipes, when most others have a sshotty there? What if you hit 3+mouse1, then end up shooting a blue that winds up in your face?

Honestly, once you play for a few hours, it becomes intuitive anyways, but...I much prefer the way it is.

Elmo 03-26-2012 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KubeDawg (Post 492427)
Agreed, although I have my engineer setup to start with his Super Shotgun with lastinv going directly to the Spanner. It would be cool to have some class-specific keymapping options.

I've wanted to do this for a long time but it's never materialized.