Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Spy Cloaking issue (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=21178)

Epidemicke 12-03-2009 06:51 PM

Spy Cloaking issue

I'm not sure if this is on purpose or not, but friendly attacks seem to turn off a spy's cloak.

I mean, if I'm trying to sneak through a battlefield, a friendly Demoman can uncloak me by shooting at me.

It's kind of annoying, and well, I just thought I should mention it if you decide to fix it in the next patch or something. :)

Credge 12-03-2009 07:01 PM

It's from the increase in movement, I believe.

For example, a shotgun blast should not uncloak you but an explosion pushing you will.

Epidemicke 12-03-2009 07:28 PM

Is it purposeful?

squeek. 12-03-2009 07:34 PM

As long as teammates can push you, yes, it's on purpose. Without it, you'd be able to be pipe jumped, etc by a teammate while cloaked.

Epidemicke 12-03-2009 07:36 PM

hm

That sucks

It's kind of frustrating when you finally manage to bob and weave in between your enemy's rockets and get behind enemy lines then your dumbass demoman blows your cloak

Epidemicke 12-03-2009 07:42 PM

Maybe instead of measuring the speed you measure the distance?

squeek. 12-03-2009 07:43 PM

Distance of what? Distance is part of speed.

Epidemicke 12-03-2009 07:49 PM

Distance travelled while in flight.

Like every time you go in the air while cloaked, it starts a counter and once you travel say 20m THEN you uncloak.

MonoXideAtWork 12-03-2009 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epidemicke (Post 458969)
Distance travelled while in flight.

Like every time you go in the air while cloaked, it starts a counter and once you travel say 20m THEN you uncloak.

I believe the problem with this is that you are attempting to cross the yard in stealth.

Given the speed decrease that cloaking imparts, the ability to be pulled out of cloak by errant explosions, one would surmise that it is best served to travel to the enemy base uncloaked, although disguised as a friendly to confuse snipers, or as an enemy to get past sentry guns.

Also keeping in mind that firing any weapon (except tossing a grenade that you primed prior to cloaking) also removes your cloak, then it would seem that cloaking would only be useful when you are trying to sneak around inside an enemy base or are trying to lose a pursuing enemy.

Also bear in mind that when you cloak all the time, your teammates hate you. Many will shoot you purposefully to uncloak you. This is not done to ruin your play experience, but to A. Encourage you to attack the enemy base in a more direct manner and B. To prevent you from cloaking in main travel lanes within your base or the yard where you may disrupt other attackers.

So if you are skulking around the yard, and a friendly soldier decloaks you, think of it like "hey, I'll cover you, run to the enemy base".

Epidemicke 12-03-2009 09:16 PM

Well yeah, and I don't have any problem with this often, but one of my tactics is to get behind the enemy line then pick them off one by one (seeing as they'd be totally distracted, dealing with my team and all)

GenghisTron 12-03-2009 10:10 PM

Don't rely on cloak so much.

yfni 12-13-2009 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GenghisTron (Post 458988)
Don't rely on cloak so much.

As the best spy in the world I fully encourage everyone to play as they see fit

ian.de 12-17-2009 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yfni (Post 459817)
As the best spy in the world

qft