Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   FF Technical Support (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   FF/TF2 Freezing when i try to join server (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=11735)

(!)-DrLove 09-23-2007 09:42 PM

FF/TF2 Freezing when i try to join server

ive tried deleting firewall, putting in exceptions into the pos windows firewall, i dont know what else to do

my FF/tf2 both do the same thing, i join a game and it begins loading and makes it to retrieving server info and then the game freezes and goes not responding. i can join my own server, not not any other ones i have tried

please help me i want to play both games and i cant

DrEvil 09-23-2007 10:10 PM

how long have you let it sit? HL2 has really horrible load times, and often takes a while, even beyond what you might consider it stalled.

Formless 09-23-2007 10:38 PM

I've had the same problem. And yes it is a Fortress Forever problem, the rest of my games load fine, and quick.

Kingsofa 09-24-2007 01:47 AM

Same problem, it gets stuck at retrieving server info. None of my other source games do this, please help....

organizedcrime 09-24-2007 02:35 AM

I'm getting the exact same problem, but I wasn't sure whether I should post this in the crash thread or not.

SaII 09-24-2007 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by organizedcrime
I'm getting the exact same problem, but I wasn't sure whether I should post this in the crash thread or not.

same problem here

Gekko 09-24-2007 06:14 PM

same problem. I cant even kill FF/steam. I have to reset my whole computer.

organizedcrime 09-24-2007 07:01 PM

^ That's a bit further than me, though. Whenever I get to Retrieving Server Info, it just breaks down. The computer doesn't have to restart though.

edit: Just to clarify, is everyone getting the freeze when they reach "Retrieving Server Info"?

SaII 09-24-2007 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by organizedcrime
^ That's a bit further than me, though. Whenever I get to Retrieving Server Info, it just breaks down. The computer doesn't have to restart though.

edit: Just to clarify, is everyone getting the freeze when they reach "Retrieving Server Info"?

around that time, i can't even start my own server

Dr.Satan 09-24-2007 09:28 PM

lmao i actually just posted a new topic in hear about this...guess i should have looked.

Same problem here, happens with TF2 and FF and yes at the retriving server info part of the loading screen. I can't even load my own server and i have tried everything the first guy stated!

Dr.Satan 09-24-2007 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrEvil
how long have you let it sit? HL2 has really horrible load times, and often takes a while, even beyond what you might consider it stalled.

How long is "a while," b/c if it takes like more then 2r3 min to load everytime the map changes that is just insane...idk what this has to do with fixing the problem, but i know that after like a min. i am tired of waiting.

DrEvil 09-25-2007 12:55 AM

HL2 is well known for shitty load times, and since several of the FF maps push the limits of what the engine even supports the load times are quite shit(ff_hunted). This is clearly an engine issue that I hope valve fixes for us as it is effecting TF2 as well. Pretty much everything that happens during the loading state is engine level. Short of our huge complex maps taking longer to load than some others there isn't a whole lot we have control over.

organizedcrime 09-25-2007 02:00 AM

Wait, so is this a genuine bug or just a waiting game, because as soon as it reaches "Retrieving Server Info" it just freezes if you click it?

Dr.Satan 09-25-2007 02:49 PM

Dr.Evil = Genius!!!

Anyway I totally thought it wouldn't work, but instead of freeking out when I saw my FF window say it wasn't responding I just left it alone. Give it anywhere from 1min 30 sec. to 3min (YES I TIMED IT) and eventually it will load up the map! Hopefully Steam fixes this problem of long load times soon, but for now just wait for the game don't freek out and don't hit other buttons and eventually it will load!

I just wanted to add that I am also running i n -window -dxlevel 81 in the launch options, but i'm going to try it without those options when I get off of work and will let you know!

(!)-DrLove 09-25-2007 06:47 PM

i turned down my graphics ingame on tf2 and my directx to 8.1 on FF and i can now load, i hope this will help anyone else.

options/video i think for tf2 and once i turned it down it loads pretty well, still gets laggy in big time choke points but im going to get some more RAM to hopefully fix this problem

Vertigo 09-25-2007 07:54 PM

HL2:Ep1 behaves like this. It gets stuck on the loading bar while loading the first level at about 70%, and so did FF. When I play in DX81 or 80 mode, it does work but my game freezes with the sound looping after a few minutes or more. The only way I can play is with -dxlevel 70.

Specs: Athlon 64 3200+ ~2.2GHz, 1gb ram, ATI AIW 9800pro 128mb.

Kingsofa 09-27-2007 10:16 PM

Getting stuck at the retreiving server info screen, I can load hl2, hl2 ep.1, CSS, DoDS etc. etc. just fine. It is only FF for me. But i have a bunch of freinds playing FF with computer specs around the same as mine but none of the have experienced this problem at all.

SoBe Green 09-28-2007 04:57 PM

The recent TF2 update fixed a lot of my load time issues by about 10 seconds. Not sure if thats useful for the devs to look into or not but figured I'd throw it out there. I had less issues with FF loading than I did TF2 so maybe my problem was different.

DrEvil 09-28-2007 08:52 PM

Engine fixes that go into improving these things for TF2 won't be available for FF until the SDK update after Orange box releases.

D3pth 09-28-2007 08:59 PM

Not to be an ass, but this problem really needs to be more actively acknowledged by the ff team. A major concern of the community is that not enough new people are playing, well in my case anyway I can't even start up a game. I haven't been able to play a single minute of FF since it was released. Do you think that perhaps the fact that a ton of other forum goers are experiencing the problem means that even more NON-forum users are probably experiencing the problem?

Coming to these forums, seeing ~20 posts on this issue without a single official confirmation from a team member that they are going to be addressing this in the first patch, without a single addition of this issue to the known bugs list, is very unerving. I have been around since this game's inception so I'm not going anywhere, but 99% of the players who have no loyalty to the game... I can't speak for. In my opinion you should make as public as possible your acknowledgement and investigation of each and every major bug people are experiencing... ESPECIALLY ones like this one that don't even allow the player to PLAY the game.

If 30% of your player base potentially can't even get into the game, you can make all the medic/sniper tweaks you want; it won't change a thing. Priorities guys, priorities. And keep your player base updated on what you are aware of from us! I don't like seeing a whole bunch of the same thread without a single official post other than an initial question from a dev member and no follow up.

EDIT: Also, I randomly chose this thread to post this in, I suppose one of the others would have been better, but the point is many users, myself included, only experience this problem in FF, not other HL games or mods. This means the problem is with either FF itself or something unique FF is triggering in Source that other games simply don't mess with. And for everyone, simply "waiting" longer isn't necessarily a fix. I've waited over 30 minutes for the game to load and it didn't. Even if it did, that is not an acceptable wait time and is still a critical bug in my opinion.