Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   Modding (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   (Released) Blue Grenade Launcher skin (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=24745)

AirTrek 12-31-2014 08:16 PM

Blue Grenade Launcher skin

http://i57.tinypic.com/33yrls2.jpg

Anyone else dislike those models looking almost absolutely the same? I've got you covered.

There used to be a custom like this made by Jester. It went missing a long time ago and I couldn't find it, so I remade it.

Installation instructions are in the readme file. Let me know if something doesn't work.

Iggy 01-01-2015 02:15 AM

Thank you!

R00Kie 01-01-2015 02:50 AM

Functional and beautiful, thank you for your hard work.

AfterShock 01-03-2015 07:01 PM

This should be in the game by default.

Dr.Satan 01-04-2015 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfterShock (Post 505975)

I was just thinking that when I saw Jester's in his modding corner lol and then I saw this!

AirTrek 01-04-2015 11:21 AM

Thanks guys :>. I'm not sure if my simple recolor is up to the standard, but it would be definitely nice if it was easier to recognize what weapon you have out 'right out of the box'.

btw hi Dr. Satan!

squeek. 01-04-2015 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfterShock (Post 505975)

The GL/PL are meant to be the same weapon in different firing modes (hence the shared clip). Them having different paint colors would kind of break that illusion.

I think this should remain a custom. The color of the LCD screen should already make it obvious which thing you're going to be shooting.

NeonLight 01-04-2015 11:56 PM

I used to have different colored crosshairs for PL/GL to differentiate. Never looked at the model to know which I had out

FDA_Approved 01-05-2015 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squeek. (Post 505999)
The GL/PL are meant to be the same weapon in different firing modes (hence the shared clip). Them having different paint colors would kind of break that illusion.

I think this should remain a custom. The color of the LCD screen should already make it obvious which thing you're going to be shooting.

That's pretty much the only reason I don't think it'd be proper as default. Just would look goofy with the current weapon switch animation.

To make it more obvious though, I'd suggest maybe we move away from this single default xhair, and try to make a default xhair that is fitting for each weapon in FF. If blues and yellows by default had different xhairs it'd be a little more apparent, and people could still change it to w/e they want.

But over all what I'd really like to see is a more "transformative" model. Instead of just flipping a switch, something more like a lever that has visibly different positions for each mode, and perhaps the sight could adjust as well. Just something so that it's obviously the same model for both, but there's a stronger outline for each mode. Immediately distinguishable silhouettes is something was strongly pushed in early TF2 and I think it's a very smart design philosophy. It's a little more striking than a color changing screen.

AirTrek 01-05-2015 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FDA_Approved (Post 506001)
Immediately distinguishable silhouettes is something was strongly pushed in early TF2 and I think it's a very smart design philosophy. It's a little more striking than a color changing screen that's the size of a toenail.

;)

AfterShock 01-12-2015 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squeek
The color of the LCD screen should already make it obvious which thing you're going to be shooting.

If that was true you wouldnt have people saying that the color of the LCD screen doesnt make it obvious which thing you're going to be shooting.

FDA_Approved 01-12-2015 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfterShock (Post 506085)
If that was true you wouldnt have people saying that the color of the LCD screen doesnt make it obvious which thing you're going to be shooting.

Sick burn.

the_cake 01-12-2015 04:08 AM

AfterShock more like AfterBurnnnn.

XPelargos 01-12-2015 06:14 AM

Good mod, though I play with viewmodels off and use blue/green crosshairs to differentiate.

never had a problem figuring it out when I played with viewmodels at the beginning though. Should remain custom IMO, but it's still a good custom.

squeek. 01-13-2015 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfterShock (Post 506085)

I'm not sure there's much we can do for them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by glass (Post 432068)
It's actually hard even with these colored pipe launchers. Never actually look down to the weapon model so its pretty hard to see which one u got out...until you get a teammate in the FACE with a blue pipe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voss (Post 432190)
I usually just make color oriented crosshairs for them, blue and green/yellow

Quote:

Originally Posted by glass (Post 432196)
Yeah I've tried that, but that just got me confused. Plus I just use a tiny dot as xhair, I can barely see it :P.

Gooder default crosshairs would be probably be better anyway.