Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Steam's New Content System and FF (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=24284)

squeek. 10-16-2013 04:57 AM

Steam's New Content System and FF

If you try to launch Fortress Forever, you might be prompted to update Source SDK Base 2006 to Steam's new content system. Doing so will move some base Source engine files around (but not mess with your Fortress Forever at all). If you are not prompted, then you'll need to force your Source SDK Base 2006 to update in order to be able to connect to servers:
Quote:

In Steam, go to Library, select Tools from the dropdown, find Source SDK Base 2006, right click it and go to Properties. In the properties window, go to the Local Files tab and click "Verify Integrity of Tool Cache"

That should update you to the new Steampipe file system and then you should be able to connect to servers.
For server owners, you now need to use SteamCMD to install the Source Dedicated Server files (appid 205). For a tutorial, see How to install a SRCDS. If you don't manually manage your server, you will need your server provider to update your game server to the new content system.

For mappers, you might not be able to compile maps until you copy steam.dll from steamapps\common\Source SDK Base to steamapps\<username>\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin. Thanks to Uly for finding this fix.

KubeDawg 10-16-2013 06:42 AM

If I rent a server, will the app ID still be the same? 205 - Source Dedicated Server and 215 is SDK Base 2006. I just want to be sure before I let NFo know to update.

squeek. 10-16-2013 06:56 AM

HLDSUpdateTool didn't use app id's, so I'm not really sure what the "old" app id was. The old hlds install would use the parameter -game episode1 to pull the correct files. 215 is what you download to play Fortress Forever (the client files, essentially; if you download 215 using steamcmd, you get exactly what you have in your steamapps\common\Source SDK Base folder after converting your Source SDK Base 2006 to the steampipe content system). 205 is the dedicated server files, specifically (with hlds.exe; 215 only gives you a hl2.exe). You could always install both 205 and 215 to the same folder just to be safe, but in my testing it worked with only 205 installed.

KubeDawg 10-16-2013 07:26 AM

Ok, thanks.

KubeDawg 10-16-2013 10:33 PM

Unable to compile anything in hammer since new update:

** Executing...
** Command: "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\kubedog@msn.com\sourcesdk\bi n\ep1\bin\vbsp.exe"
** Parameters: -game "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\sourcemods\FortressForever" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\sourcemods\FortressForever\m aps\deadzone_a2"

Can't load c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\kubedog@msn.com\sourcesdk\bi n\ep1\bin\filesystem_steam.dll.Can't load c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\kubedog@msn.com\sourcesdk\bi n\ep1\bin\filesystem_steam.dll.

** Executing...
** Command: "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\kubedog@msn.com\sourcesdk\bi n\ep1\bin\vvis.exe"
** Parameters: -game "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\sourcemods\FortressForever" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\sourcemods\FortressForever\m aps\deadzone_a2"

Valve Software - vvis.exe (Nov 8 2007)
Can't load c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\kubedog@msn.com\sourcesdk\bi n\ep1\bin\filesystem_steam.dll.Can't load c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\kubedog@msn.com\sourcesdk\bi n\ep1\bin\filesystem_steam.dll.

** Executing...
** Command: "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\kubedog@msn.com\sourcesdk\bi n\ep1\bin\vrad.exe"

** Executing...
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\sourcemods\FortressForever\m aps\deadzone_a2.bsp" "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\sourcemods\FortressForever\m aps\deadzone_a2.bsp"

** Executing...
** Command: "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\kubedog@msn.com\sourcesdk\hl 2.exe"
** Parameters: -game "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\sourcemods\FortressForever" +map "deadzone_a2"

Any ideas how to fix?

NeonLight 10-16-2013 10:34 PM

FDA and I cant even load SDK so.. You might be on your own for that lol. I'm guessing you have to redirect some package or something.

KubeDawg 10-16-2013 10:37 PM

To load SDK, I had to do this:

http://content.screencast.com/users/...10-16_1736.png

But I am unable to compile anymore.

squeek. 10-16-2013 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KubeDawg (Post 501711)
Unable to compile anything in hammer since new update:

I'm getting the same error. It might be because with the new content system, hammer and everything is meant to be in the /bin/ folder of the steamapps/common/<game>/ folder. I'll try some stuff when I have time, but I guess for now compiling just won't work. :(

What I'm going to try is copying over everything from steamapps/<username>/sourcesdk/bin/ep1/bin/ to steamapps/common/Source SDK Base/bin/ and change all the paths in the Hammer config to point there. If you want to try it, be careful not to lose track of what you've copied/moved/etc, though.

squeek. 10-16-2013 11:20 PM

Didn't work. This is broked bigtime. Apparently Steam is trying to move away from the Source SDK launcher completely, and instead wants to use .bat files in common/<game>/bin.

See: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/...K_Installation

I'll try some more stuff later.

Bully 10-16-2013 11:27 PM

I joined a server earlier with no problems. I just tried and now im getting this :(

Headz 10-17-2013 12:03 AM

I can almost compile "cant find gameinfo.txt" but it is there, had to input all the paths again.

It wasn't broken so why did they fk about with it, more efficient? don't see any difference.

/slaps gayb

Iggy 10-17-2013 12:48 AM

Sounds like how they broke TFC and HL1 a month or so ago. Let's hope they fix this soon.

Chickenprotector 10-17-2013 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bully (Post 501719)
I joined a server earlier with no problems. I just tried and now im getting this :(

Check the thread for the temp fix.

Iggy 10-17-2013 01:17 AM

Does anyone know if this only affects those of us that already have the game, and not the new people that DL it right from Steam?

NeonLight 10-17-2013 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iggy (Post 501729)
Does anyone know if this only affects those of us that already have the game, and not the new people that DL it right from Steam?

You can't download from steam yet. We still only have a page that redirects. Paper work has to be done prior.

FDA_Approved 10-17-2013 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iggy (Post 501729)

It affects anyone who allowed their sdk 2006 to be updated to the new file format. It's not broken and neither were tfc or hl1. It just means that we have to wait for server providers to reinstall FF with steamCMD.

Chickenprotector 10-17-2013 01:34 AM

Pretty much what FDA said. If the server runs the old version of FF (prior to the Steam Pipe) you need to use the temp fix and/or roll back your installation. If you've got 2007 installed, it's as simple as deleting the 2006 SDK once.

All the servers will be updated by tomorrow. Maybe Friday at the latest.

Dexter 10-17-2013 05:16 AM

none of the servers have updated still, so i put one up called lovenest in case anyone tries to play in the meantime

let me know if u want rcon for it to do w/e

KubeDawg 10-17-2013 06:26 AM

Thanks. Could you enable rtv/nominations please? I notified NFO servers about the change yesterday shortly after it was released and they said they hoped to have it done by the end of the day today. Most FF servers use NFO for hosting. That didn't happen tonight so I'm waiting patiently for them to finish rolling out the update.

The official FF server seems to be working, but it lacks the basic rtv functionality.

Dexter 10-17-2013 05:33 PM

can you PM me how to do it? it's just a basic server atm