Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Releasing Warpath Beta & Life gets in the way sometimes... (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=22553)

Elmo 03-09-2011 12:03 PM

Releasing Warpath Beta & Life gets in the way sometimes...

Well with our very small development team it's easy for life to get in the way of things as it has for a majority of the team lately. I think things might start moving again now but it's been a tough one... can't help these things with our small team unfortunately. Apologies FF fans.

As I didn't want to leave you all with nothing and as I really want to get some play time going on warpath I decided to just release what I had done. There's imperfections in the lighting and a few clip brushes missing. You'll probably even find a few bugs but that's what beta testing is about!

So I guess here's an official beta test for the public servers! Most of all I hope you enjoy it. Please give me some feedback on the forum including the good, the bad and the 'bugly' (get it?)!

Should be appearing on pub servers soon. If not then nag the admins!

http://www.awillden.co.uk/ff/ff_warpath_b1.zip

Ricey 03-09-2011 01:10 PM

Yay!

Also, Elmo, NEVER try and be funny... Bugly? Really? I hope a beaver anally rapes you.

Gwarsbane 03-09-2011 07:19 PM

Thank you :)

zE 03-09-2011 07:36 PM

this maps looks very good, Rly good job on it :3

Hammock 03-09-2011 07:46 PM

omg can't wait to play it

Icculus 03-09-2011 08:14 PM

Awesome job!

Noticed that it's possible to get way up on the cliffs surrounding the bases and walk all the way around from up there.. Is that by design?

-Icculus

Elmo 03-09-2011 08:14 PM

no just too lazy to put clip brushes in yet

Bully 03-09-2011 10:20 PM

:)

CatzEyes93 03-09-2011 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elmo (Post 482899)
Well with our very small development team it's easy for life to get in the way of things as it has for a majority of the team lately. I think things might start moving again now but it's been a tough one... can't help these things with our small team unfortunately. Apologies FF fans.

At least you are getting something out the door. Unlike some mods. ;)

reaper18 03-09-2011 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatzEyes93 (Post 482927)
At least you are getting something out the door. Unlike some mods. ;)

some would argue on the bm forums that this is false..
They must be delusional :)

CHURCHMOUTH 03-09-2011 11:43 PM

too lazy to finish 2.5

Crazycarl 03-10-2011 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHURCHMOUTH (Post 482930)
too lazy to finish 2.5

We don't even know what's going to be in 2.5.

reaper18 03-10-2011 03:13 AM

Just played today with a full server and was great success!
Good job on this elmo, the map is stunningly sexy and plays very nicely.

Gwarsbane 03-10-2011 03:22 PM

Played last night and it does look really nice. On my system (X2 4800, HD5770, 4 gigs ram, 1920x1200) it played very smooth.

We did have a crash of the game near the end, not sure if it was due to map or server.

A few suggestions

Need some more messages for people. When standing on a cap point that can't be captured it should tell people what cap point needs to be captured first. Inform people that they need to stand in the cap areas and stand there till its capped.

Better signage telling you which way the bases are. (more for noobs then anyone). More signs telling people where the actual cap points are. (some where asking where to go)

The capture times felt a little long. Maybe cut it down by 15% to 20% or so? (at least for a test)

I wasn't too big on the extra stairway to get up the back way from the center. Though I suppose that might be a decent spot for SGs and snipers to sit.

Again though beautiful map, had lots of fun on it. Took me back to the TFC days. :)

Elmo 03-10-2011 04:58 PM

Thanks Gwar.

I think displacements are one thing valve got right when it comes to optimisation!

Will have to keep an eye on crashes and see if there's a pattern.

Some more signs and notifications would be good. I need someone to model some appropriate signs tho as there's none that would fit the theme (that I could find). For the notifications I'll see what I can do but I might need help from an LUA guru if I get stuck.

I agree capture and lock times need to be adjusted. There wasn't enough beta testing to really come to set values - it's definitely something to be changed over time so I'd appreciate continued updates on your feelings on that.

Thanks for the feedback - report back after a few more tests whether it's just to say you still feel the same way or not!

moosh 03-10-2011 08:27 PM

Map is radically awesome. The only thing that would make it even better is a nice 3D skybox and actual models for the caps so it doesn't look like you're capturing thin air.

Get on it Elmo! :)

Elmo 03-10-2011 11:35 PM

yeah cause I can model... plus I have no idea what you'd have in mind for that??

Thanks though!

Gwarsbane 03-11-2011 02:02 AM

Had another test of it just now.

No crash like last time. Might have just been a server crash.

There is a space between the rock edge and where caps 2 and 4 are. Its easy enough to fall down in between, having that space a little closer so you can't fall in between would be good. If you need a picture of where this is I can take one.

Nothing else wrong that I seen, I don't remember hearing about any problems not already mentioned in previous post.

My suggestion for signage would be maybe add something to the spawn doors. Arrows pointing to each teams base and which cap points are in that direction. A simple texture would do the trick.

Elmo 03-11-2011 07:14 AM

I know where you mean. Decals on the doors would be good

Hammock 03-11-2011 04:48 PM

The choke point right outside the 2nd spawn, is considerabley tight, especially with those wood beams on each side.

It's not just a problem for Offense trying to get to the final cap, but it's a problem for defense trying to get someone through to get to the 2nd cap.

It doesn't even need to be properly defended, just the mass of people running from both sides trying to get through causes a huge mess right there. Once one team gets the 4th cap, it's extremely difficult for the other team to make a run to get their #2.

I think the lock out times on the caps should be a bit shorter.