Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   Chat (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   guitar thread (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=2491)

mervaka 08-12-2005 08:40 AM

guitar thread

just to stop pulling the FF music thread off topic, ive started this one:

Quote:

Originally Posted by broodingdude
Quote:

Originally Posted by nagual678
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mervaka
i recorded this today, i think its cool, but it doesnt really have a place in gaming :/
http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=coolriff

be sure to keep that somewhere, i'll record something over it as soon as i get my axe back. (ff solo contest ? :wink:)

Heh... I can do a phatter bass part than that! :P

ye ye im not a shit hot guitarist/bassist, i just enjoy recording random crap. i play in a sort of in flames cover band, although we lack a drummer so i make drumtracks in reason :p

i have a yamaha BBN4 bass, jackson JS-20 lead guitar, vantage 635v (gibson ES335 copy) for rhythm stuff - getting it some EMG pickups when i can afford it, epiphone gibson AJ-10 acoustic, marshall valvestate 8100 100W valve head, laney dp150 150W bass head, torque 4x10" 240W bass cab, line6 pod pro for recording, and an M-Audio FW1814 sound card.

o_fresh 08-12-2005 12:30 PM

guitars for teh gays!

Mulchman MM 08-12-2005 01:27 PM

no, far from it. bass is for gays or talentless losers who just want to play one string/note at a time*.

*Of course there are a few exceptions.

mervaka 08-12-2005 02:43 PM

:shock: fuck you all

lead guitar takes way more skill than any pussy footed dj can squence, and bass..... slap bass owns you

o_otiz 08-12-2005 03:21 PM

Classical guitar ftw.

o_frenchtoast 08-12-2005 05:00 PM

Flea is the best bassist eva. But, in most new music, the bass is shit, like in a ll the crappy emo bands singing about how much life sucks.

I play guitar, have for 8 years, and it's t3h pwn. I do electric and acoustic, and me and my friends get together and play some AC/DC and some Chili Peppers and some Zeppelin.

Tbh, I think drums are the hardest. Too much coordination for me. And that sucks, because drummers get all the chicks.

mervaka 08-12-2005 05:34 PM

im too spasticated to play drums too :/

o_broodingdude 08-12-2005 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
Flea is the best bassist eva.

In how? Victor Wooten , Dick Dale, Jaco Pastorius and Les Claypool all kill him! :P

Quote:

no, far from it. bass is for gays or talentless losers who just want to play one string/note at a time.
What!? ... I guess your amendment would make sense. Still though, I find bass much more difficult than guitar, mainly because I try for more classical phrasing and I don't play what I call "lazy bass" unless that is what the part calls for. Bob Marley's No Woman No Cry comes to mind. Even then I try to improvise a little bit, give it a less "boring" feel.

mervaka 08-12-2005 05:39 PM

saying that, rock bass is the easiest stuff. 80s pop, jazz, and stuff are way more interesting

o_broodingdude 08-12-2005 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mervaka
saying that, rock bass is the easiest stuff. 80s pop, jazz, and stuff are way more interesting

Still too simplistic for my taste, although jazz gives me a little trouble because I don't have ADHD.

o_frenchtoast 08-12-2005 05:44 PM

Listen to Aeroplane and All Around the World by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and you'll realize how supa-awesome Flea is.

o_broodingdude 08-12-2005 05:47 PM

I have. And that style bass is easy.

...have you listened to Bella Fleck and the Flecktones? How about Primus? I'd recommend Jerry was a Race Car Driver, Is it Luck?, Dell the Fisherman...many of Primus.

o_frenchtoast 08-12-2005 06:02 PM

I've listened to the Bella Fleck stuff. To me it's not as good, I just don't like that style, and the Chili Peppers have such a funk groove thang going on, you just can'tbeat it. Unless you're Zeppelin.

http://www.redhotchilipeppers.it/ima...mages/flea.gif

That's sweet :)

o_etzell 08-12-2005 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
Listen to Aeroplane and All Around the World by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and you'll realize how supa-awesome Flea is.

Yeah, because playing the exact same music with tired, boring vocals interchanged is supa-awesome. Oh, wait, no. It's not. That's why the RHCP suck!

Mudvayne's bassists owns Flea.

o_frenchtoast 08-12-2005 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Etzell
Yeah, because playing the exact same music with tired, boring vocals interchanged is supa-awesome.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a song today that doesn't use the same riffs over. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a song ever that doesn't use the same riffs.

Boring lyrics? Listen to them, they're intelligent, which is more than you can say for almost any band.

o_binarylife 08-12-2005 10:22 PM

Eric Clapton
Chuck Berry
Van Halen
Van Morisson
Robert Plant

No order or ranking, but in a thread about rocking guitarists and talent I just felt their names needed to be mentioned at least somewhere. It hurts good souls when they aren't.

o_frenchtoast 08-12-2005 11:19 PM

Yeah, Robert Plant. He's an awesome guitarist :roll:

Circuitous 08-12-2005 11:24 PM

I thought that looked odd...

o_deadly furby 08-13-2005 12:32 AM

How about limiting the posts to people who actually played guitar and been paid for it? Maybe, people who also have a formal music background of some sort?

o_broodingdude 08-13-2005 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadly Furby
How about limiting the posts to people who actually played guitar and been paid for it? Maybe, people who also have a formal music background of some sort?

Does that leave everyone out but me? :lol: