PDA

View Full Version : My map: ff_flag_base (Screens)

o_donny
03-11-2005, 04:56 PM
Ff_flag_base is a CTF map, that has got it's inspiration from maps: 2fort, rock2, badlands, and a map which name I dont remember.
And yes it is a new map.
I am going to make the map so that it wont have that 1 way out thing like in 2fort. In flagroom there is also a vent that leads to a place where are all the enemy team spawns, so I dont let anyone out easy. Also defense part is in here. Snipers have lots of places to snipe and Engys have places to put their sg's in. 8)
But what would map thread be without screens. (This is about 6%-10% done, and textures suck. I know)

THE PICS ARE OLD SO I DELETED THEM, TO SEE PICS SCROLL DOWN

There's all the pics from this map at this point 8) I know the textures suck from some points, yeah I am going to texture some of them after the map is about ready (not in hurry, FF aint coming soon (I think :roll: ))
But tell me what you think. If I agree I'll chainge it, if I dont, I show you the hand and say "Who was the developer of this map again" 8) :lol:

Ok, I'll keep my shades up (so should you) 8)

o_saintgreg
03-11-2005, 05:33 PM
looks like something we would play in kanonball (its an arena hl mod sort of like contact basketball) 8)

o_nuk3m
03-11-2005, 07:23 PM
nice map man, kudos to you.

o_donny
03-11-2005, 07:46 PM
Thanks m8's. I'll keep it up. I show you more screens when I have done the Blue base ready. Then another update when it's ready (cause I just need the blue part to be ready. then copy paste and turn it 180° and then just edit the textures and we have a go :)

o_jdcruz
03-11-2005, 08:06 PM
I was gonna suggest working on textures but you seem to know that already. The major problem I see with the textures is scale. Huge walls, like that rock wall, should have a higher scale. Other than that, the texture selection seems alright for the most part.

I noticed you used texture lighting... I would give advice here but I dont know how to edit texture lights (brightness, color etc.) for source. I think it uses the old lights.rad but I don't know what that file is/goes.

On a positive note, the geometry is pretty nice looking. I liked some of the views and open spaces.

Thats all for now, I'll be looking forward to new screens

o_donny
03-11-2005, 11:42 PM
Yeah texture lights cannot be modifyed like normal lights. I just putted the texture and engine made light.
And to that open space thing, all stuff seen in screens is about ready. The open space is 2 blocks and water in the middle of it :D Not very pretty, so I decided to work on it and show it when it's ready 8)

o_donny
05-28-2005, 01:31 PM
I kinda messed up with this map :cry:
Im making a new one with desert outlook. I have the red courtyard almost up and working. Sending screens someday soon 8)

o_mooga
05-28-2005, 01:40 PM
It looks ok but the textures need work (As you've said) and it looks a bit small (Very thin) although it hard to tell if it any smaller then 2fort or not.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm just trying to help out :)

o_donny
05-28-2005, 01:51 PM
It looks ok but the textures need work (As you've said) and it looks a bit small (Very thin) although it hard to tell if it any smaller then 2fort or not.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm just trying to help out :)

As I said ABOVE thouse screens that you see up there aint going to be in. Any of them. Im working on a new one :)
Looks far better and it's big :wink:

o_binarylife
05-28-2005, 05:09 PM
Well, I'll only repeat the compliments everyone's said to ya ;-)

Very nice job. It's getting me all antsy about playing.

o_buckshot enema[x7]
05-29-2005, 01:04 AM
I didn't particularly like the look of the last map -- it seemed very boxy. I wish you the best of luck on your new one though, and post some pictures when you get enough done!

o_elvis2049
05-29-2005, 01:42 PM
nice
its a looks a bit out of order :P
its give's a more own face @ the map

o_donny
05-29-2005, 10:30 PM
The map Im working on right now aint boxy. 8)
That map that you can see from the screens is bit of a "training map".

Now in this new map I know many tricks of vertex editor clipping tool alpha painting and geometric painting and many more 8)

And oh the stone walls in this new map aint flat. They are more like:
/
|
\

Atleast from some points :)

Im pretty satisfied from this new outlook. 8)

I have pics ready but they are in other computer and when I turn my head I forget them and turn it off, than I come on this computer, notice the "Fortress-forever forum" tag on my opera browoser and then I remember but dont want to turn it on just for the pics :oops:

30.5.2005 you'll see pics! I promase from my heart 8)

o_donny
05-30-2005, 12:15 PM
Here's the new pics of my map. If you cant see them, well go take a nap or make coffee or just do what you want (spam f0rúmzzzz) My host is repairing their database so there will be slight disconnections. Dont worry. They are there.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/donner89/FF/ff_baseflag0015.jpg
There's sniper platform for bad-ass snipers to kill lame flag cappers who try to go around to avoid all action, and conc gren users who try to jump here for easy access 8)

http://koti.mbnet.fi/donner89/FF/ff_baseflag0016.jpg
Here's same sniper platform from diffrent angle.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/donner89/FF/ff_baseflag0017.jpg
Here's where all the lame cappers try to get :P Water access for safer rout. Away from all pesky snipers eyes :wink:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/donner89/FF/ff_baseflag0018.jpg
Here's where scouts and medic try to launch their concs from to get inside the base. Sollys may use this too 8) Dunno (right from this pic is the water access hole)

Here's some random RED base cortyard pics
http://koti.mbnet.fi/donner89/FF/ff_baseflag0019.jpg
http://koti.mbnet.fi/donner89/FF/ff_baseflag0020.jpg
btw snipers and all guys can shoot trough that glass. It's just there so pr0 scouts and medics dont try anything fancy :wink:
http://koti.mbnet.fi/donner89/FF/ff_baseflag0021.jpg
In case you are wondering what that ugly red roofed round house is that's resuppily for all engys and other def workers :wink:
http://koti.mbnet.fi/donner89/FF/ff_baseflag0024.jpg

http://koti.mbnet.fi/donner89/FF/ff_baseflag0022.jpg
There's the place that connects Blue base to red base. Between these two is river (where you can access to that place you saw pics earlyer :wink:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/donner89/FF/ff_baseflag0023.jpg
Just to make it clear that Im not going to put anything away from your curious eyes I'll show this over veiw so you could see more clear how "much" is done :wink:

Hope you like them. I'll listen some Mokoma (http://www.mokoma.com) and play TFC and continue on with my work. Im about 20-30% done.
Still to be done? =

Respawns
Flagroom
Flag house cortyard
water access's
Battlements
"no mans land" battle cortyard
select all copy paste and textures for blue base
testing and sewing

And some things that Im maby doing if I decide so:
?adding more stuff? Just for fun
?undercround railroad? For all lame cappers :wink:

And if you are crying now cause I said that cappers are lame I mean thouse who want to avoid all action and just run along with the score, not actully the fun action 8)

Hope you like it and that's what coming for you.

o_jinx
05-30-2005, 04:50 PM
pretty cool, I like the foliage and rough terrain. it seems a little too bright, though, to the point that textures are getting washed out and stuff. also, I doubt that lights would be on when it's that bright outside- or that we could see lightbeams coming from them lol. Texturing could use a little work, but the layout looks pretty interesting to play :D

o_donny
05-30-2005, 04:53 PM
Light's are just for the looks of them, it's bright cause the sun is shining from clear sky above.
I know thextures suck, they are just there to make it look something. It will be replaced with FF's texture pack when it's released 8)

Thanks for the input :mrgreen:

o_bluppfisk
05-30-2005, 05:00 PM
that map is pretty gorgeous. Can't wait to play it. Did you take every screenshot with the knife idle animation on purpose? :D

I don't like the colour of the blue generator-like thing (behind the glass):

http://koti.mbnet.fi/donner89/FF/ff_baseflag0024.jpg

All the rest is absolutely gorgeous. Keepitup!

o_donny
05-30-2005, 05:12 PM
Yeah I did it with purpouse :D Dont want pointing knife to ruin any screen space 8)
The generator is a model, cannot do anything :cry: (I dont want to re-texture that)
And if you next ask me to delete it, I say no. It has it's purpouse :wink:

I tought out what is missing from that map. I watced the tree (near the ugly resuppily :D) and it just blobbed to my head. A TIRE SWING :!: :!:

Lol now the map has tireswing with physics to bored defence guys to have little play with :roll:

o_jinx
05-30-2005, 05:15 PM
Did you take every screenshot with the knife idle animation on purpose? :D

"r_drawviewmodel 0" will remove the weapon model

"cl_drawhud 0" will remove the hud

good for taking nice, clean screenies (when I remember to use them)

o_donny
05-30-2005, 05:52 PM
Did you take every screenshot with the knife idle animation on purpose? :D

"r_drawviewmodel 0" will remove the weapon model

"cl_drawhud 0" will remove the hud

good for taking nice, clean screenies (when I remember to use them)
Who, thanks man :wink:

Next screens you'll see will be clean as my... ummm... Well let's just say they will be clean :roll:

o_elvis2049
05-30-2005, 07:53 PM
cool die map zeg.
goed bezig herman :P

o_donny
05-30-2005, 08:51 PM
cool die map zeg.
goed bezig herman :P

excuse me... WHAT? :shock:

o_jared-tm-
05-30-2005, 08:57 PM
Looks good! Hey, 4th picture. Maybe if you put the grass texture instead and blend a dirt texture next to the rock wall would look cool? It's a bit blinding you could say ;). I like it so far though

o_donny
05-31-2005, 12:10 PM
Looks good! Hey, 4th picture. Maybe if you put the grass texture instead and blend a dirt texture next to the rock wall would look cool? It's a bit blinding you could say ;). I like it so far though

Would do it with smile in my face if you would show me a picture of green grass growing on a hard cliff in the middle of desert :wink:

This is a desert map after all and that big cliff there is going to be chainged, it's not going to be that cubic :wink:

o_deadeh
05-31-2005, 03:23 PM

Would do it with smile in my face if you would show me a picture of green grass growing on a hard cliff in the middle of desert :wink:

This is a desert map after all and that big cliff there is going to be chainged, it's not going to be that cubic :wink:

The witty retort to that would be "how often do you see that much water in the middle of the desert ;)"

However i do really like the brightness and the look of the map... not sure what that thing in the middle with the stairs is but im sure once the map is complete it will all make sense, liking it, keep it up :D

o_donny
05-31-2005, 08:26 PM
The witty retort to that would be "how often do you see that much water in the middle of the desert ;)"

However i do really like the brightness and the look of the map... not sure what that thing in the middle with the stairs is but im sure once the map is complete it will all make sense, liking it, keep it up :D

That retort would be dumb as "How often you see red HQ in the middle of desert?" If you look closely you might see that there is base build there and the water is kept there for the team and for the looks.

And what comes to the stairs if you mean that long pillar there it's a source engine bug. Forgot to menton it. Good thing you like the brightness, I see ppl here wanting bright maps and Im making one, and I get "constructive critizism" (I know it's typed wrong(if not yay me)) of it.
Im not making another night or dark map. This one is bright like J-Lo's ass on a por.... ok I quit there :lol:

o_vorm
06-01-2005, 01:14 PM
Map is looking good. Just one comment so far. The part where you say that medics and/or soldiers will conc/rjump to the base may be dificult for newbies to conc off due to uneven surface. Old pro's will hand held for sure but those just learning will have a nightmare laying down a conc on that surface.

What do you think?

V

o_voipme
06-01-2005, 01:18 PM
Map is looking good. Just one comment so far. The part where you say that medics and/or soldiers will conc/rjump to the base may be dificult for newbies to conc off due to uneven surface. Old pro's will hand held for sure but those just learning will have a nightmare laying down a conc on that surface.

What do you think?

V

I don't think people will have too much of a problem. There are plenty of other maps to learn to conc on. It definitely looks fun to play though.

o_donny
06-01-2005, 02:37 PM
you can also hold down the concgren button and launch it at your inventory :wink:

o_imbrifer
06-02-2005, 01:23 AM
Solid start. I like the overall design, and I look forward to seeing how the looks come together.

Maybe if you could get a texture to make the water more like oil (and make movement harder to make it more 'viscous') it would be more 'deserty', but it's your call. I think the water works fine.

o_kam
06-02-2005, 02:10 AM
btw snipers and all guys can shoot trough that glass. It's just there so pr0 scouts and medics dont try anything fancy
Don't like that, it'll look silly and they can snipe elsewhere anyway. Either open it up or block it off.

o_koochy
06-02-2005, 02:12 AM
Where abouts are those trees and shrubbery located in \models\ D:? I've only found some crappy dead trees in \props_foliage\ D:!

o_valk
06-02-2005, 02:45 AM
take screenshots with AA on...
ta

o_kam
06-02-2005, 06:55 AM
cs:s only, im guessing kooch :>

sif map in cs:s!

o_donny
06-02-2005, 09:07 AM
Cactus and tree and rock models are from de_inferno CS:s map.

valk what do you mean by AA? :?

o_koochy
06-02-2005, 09:44 AM
AntiAliasing my guess.

I'm sure I tried CS:S! Let me have another look >:|

<3

o_donny
06-02-2005, 12:47 PM
they are located props/de_inferno/ tree.mld or something
props/de_inferno is the correct path anyway 8)

o_braindead
06-02-2005, 02:11 PM
the map isn't in the TFC spirit... look like Cowboy & indian mod...

o_voipme
06-02-2005, 02:29 PM

Oh it so is. Off the top of my head, this map reminds me of badlands, crossover2, and nml. All of which are great TFC maps.

o_yohan1973
06-02-2005, 02:30 PM

What is "the spirit of TFC" in your opinion?
I think this is something that eveyone as an idea of but everyone also assumes that their idea is "THE IDEAL" interpretation. Sounds like a new topic to me...

o_bluppfisk
06-02-2005, 03:51 PM
Hi.

1. This _IS_ badlands? That's what I've been thinking since the start of this thread.

2. Can't you make it a bit more dusk in the sky. I mean, it would justify the absolutely GORGEOUS lights that bring back vague memories of C&C film sequences, as seen in this (http://koti.mbnet.fi/donner89/FF/ff_baseflag0020.jpg) pic.

Fanks love

P.S. Makes me wonder, wouldn't it be bloody brilliant to watch some Red Alert 1 and 2, C&C: Generals, C&C1 and Tiberian sun film sequences (oh and Starcraft) and be inspired by the beauty of those high-tech buildings? Just a little beauty on a half-life map. I love it! Again, a very good job was done on the pic I refer to above! Wonderful. More of that.

o_docwolfe
06-02-2005, 06:52 PM
Y'Alreet Pet

o_donny
06-02-2005, 07:29 PM
So you are telling me one of my fav maps (badlands) arent in TFC spirit?
Wrong mr ;) Just because it's sunny day in map doesnt mean I rape the whole dark map community :lol:

Hi.

1. This _IS_ badlands? That's what I've been thinking since the start of this thread.

2. Can't you make it a bit more dusk in the sky. I mean, it would justify the absolutely GORGEOUS lights that bring back vague memories of C&C film sequences, as seen in this pic.

Fanks love

P.S. Makes me wonder, wouldn't it be bloody brilliant to watch some Red Alert 1 and 2, C&C: Generals, C&C1 and Tiberian sun film sequences (oh and Starcraft) and be inspired by the beauty of those high-tech buildings? Just a little beauty on a half-life map. I love it! Again, a very good job was done on the pic I refer to above! Wonderful. More of that.

1 No, this is ff_baseflag. As I said I got the whole team cortyard inspiration from badlands but I also added my own ideas there. For example there is no water in badlands and the base looks totally diffrent.

2 No, this map is for all thouse who like to see something sunny and bright. I could do a dusk map next after this one ;)

And I have played good old C&C 1 and Red Alert 1 and C&C2 but that's when I lost interest for it :roll: So I really dunno what your trying to tell :oops:

o_bluppfisk
06-02-2005, 10:39 PM
I'm trying to say that I like the lights on the side door of the base, but they would be so much better eye-candy if it was dusk outside. Therefore I was referring to some of the C&C series' film sequences where you would see some of this eyecandy. IAAR.

o_shadow34721
06-03-2005, 12:26 AM
so its a sniper map then?

Why give so much advantage to snipers and block easy entry/exit from the batts via glass?

They need to be more friendly to offense. Those guys will still have to go throught the whole base and get past the fr defense. Don't they have it hard enough?

o_donny
06-03-2005, 10:16 AM
so its a sniper map then?

Why give so much advantage to snipers and block easy entry/exit from the batts via glass?

They need to be more friendly to offense. Those guys will still have to go throught the whole base and get past the fr defense. Don't they have it hard enough?

Pretty tough judgeing from map that is under 20% ready :D
There's a chance that I delete the rounded glass wall and turn it in to escape rout to lame scouts that avoid action. We'll see.

No it's not a sniper map. And it's not harder than map well. Snipers cannot reach everywhere like I said. The wall's block most of their areas.

Here's all the ways you can get to the flag:
1. Trough water
2. Trough sniper's place to the battlements which lead to flag room
3. Trough air wents.
4. Trough the base

So there's more ways than in well ;)

Quit whineing :twisted:

o_player
06-03-2005, 11:37 AM
Map looks good, maybe a bit too bright but that is all down to personal prefence really.

There's a chance that I delete the rounded glass wall and turn it in to escape rout to lame scouts that avoid action.
Ever thought why scouts try to avoid the action?

o_lord asriel
06-03-2005, 12:48 PM
me=lame capper=love many different semi-secret ways :)

o_braindead
06-03-2005, 03:08 PM
Take note in any original map of TFC you will not see: a crashed car, luxuriant vegetation and funky design as the of staircase which gives access to the enemy base and the front gate.

TFC spirit = post apocaliptic war :P

o_yohan1973
06-03-2005, 07:14 PM
Take note in any original map of TFC you will not see: a crashed car, luxuriant vegetation and funky design as the of staircase which gives access to the enemy base and the front gate.

I here now crown you....Map Cop! Keeper of all things TFC! lol
I will agree that a crashed car my be a bit outside the "Norm" for TFC but then this ain't TFC and he's not recreating a classic map! It's FF and his map is 100% original. It's a whole new engine, and brand new map, and I for one welcome the change that comes with a much more powerful engine! I don't equate TFC with "post apocaliptic war" I don't even try to put it in the context of "reality" or anything historical. Why does it need a story which places it with-in our relm of existance? We should be encuraging mapping diversity as long as the quality is there! Hell, if you can create a cool map I'll pat you on the back even if you make it look like something straight out of Dragon ball Z. I think we should let this FF mapping thing develope freely untill someone comes along with a style so damn cool that we all ride his/her band wagon! Braindead, I'm not trying to come down on you, I'm just blurting out my line of BS for the day. As far as "mapping style" goes, I think that is a "lead by example" issue. Create an example of what you are refering to?

o_osiris
06-03-2005, 08:57 PM
Only problem I have with your map is that it seems to heavily rip-off the badlands layout in with the design of the base exterior and whatnot. its the exact same!!

o_jerm
06-04-2005, 12:22 AM

Funky design - http://www.fortress-forever.com/?a=media&id=ff_crossover_5
vegetation - http://www.fortress-forever.com/?a=media&id=ff_shutdown2_2
crashed car - http://www.fortress-forever.com/?a=media&id=ff_hunted_6

:roll:

o_valk
06-04-2005, 08:55 AM
that trully is a big fat..

OHSNAP

o_donny
06-04-2005, 03:42 PM
Only problem I have with your map is that it seems to heavily rip-off the badlands layout in with the design of the base exterior and whatnot. its the exact same!!

Not quite. For example there is no glass in badlands exteriors. There aint sniping hole in 2nd door to the base. There's no massive rockwalls inside the cortyard in this map. There is no 1337 tire swing in badlands. There is no water in badlands. There's just some of them :lol:

Look down \

Funky design - http://www.fortress-forever.com/?a=media&id=ff_crossover_5
vegetation - http://www.fortress-forever.com/?a=media&id=ff_shutdown2_2
crashed car - http://www.fortress-forever.com/?a=media&id=ff_hunted_6

:roll:
Owned :lol:

mervaka
06-04-2005, 03:48 PM
There is no water in badlands

bit of a contradiction in terms if there was lol

Defrag
06-04-2005, 06:04 PM
Urm, there's a crashed car in Hunted because it's a totally different style to the average TF map. :P

o_shadow34721
06-04-2005, 07:15 PM
Yeah you can't really bring hunted into discussions about styles of TFC maps... its very different. Hunted is one of the only 'realistic' TFC maps.

mervaka
06-04-2005, 07:17 PM
whats realistic about battering people to death with an umbrella thats as lethal as a crowbar? :P

o_geokill----->
06-04-2005, 09:41 PM
Urm, there's a crashed car in Hunted because it's a totally different style to the average TF map. :P
So how is the tank getting replace?

o_donny
06-05-2005, 02:34 PM
Getting off-topic... :?

Talk about the map or dont talk in this thread at all. :cry:

o_etzell
06-05-2005, 09:57 PM
Hunted was realistic because it was ripped from HL1. Completely. Don't believe me? Go play it. You'll find it and be all like: "1337."

o_donny
06-06-2005, 09:19 PM
Hunted was realistic because it was ripped from HL1. Completely. Don't believe me? Go play it. You'll find it and be all like: "1337."
Yes? :roll:
Read the text above you. No-offtopic please. If you talk, talk about this map.

Mulchman MM
06-16-2005, 12:37 PM
Donny, I like a lot of the screenshots on page 1; but, I think your rock walls could use a little work - they're too "straight" and "rigid". If they were a little more funky, the whole environment would come to life more.

Also, for some reason, it reminds me of FarCry.

o_drtom
06-16-2005, 01:36 PM
looks like badlands with the bases designed by aliens or something, freaky !

o_azlan
06-16-2005, 05:24 PM
It doesn't really look like a team fortress map by looking at those screenshots, but I suppose that isn't necessarily a bad thing. It looks rather unique and I look forward to the finished product.

o_donny
06-16-2005, 10:14 PM
Nevermind the screens. Making a new one