PDA

View Full Version : Obtaining Fortress Forever

o_blacklce
03-05-2005, 05:39 PM
Ok, I read in the FAQ that those who own Half-Life 2 will be able to get FF...Now, I ordered HL2 online through Steam. How will I obtain FF when it is released?

o_virus
03-05-2005, 05:42 PM
You just have to wait for the MOD team to finish the MOD wich will probally be awhile still. They have lots of work to do. I'm sure there will be pleanty of download sites posted in there News page when there actually done.

o_vanquish
03-06-2005, 03:41 AM
You'd aquire it like you would any other 3rd party (IE not supported by VALVe) MOD, through download sites. As the mod isn't exactly nearing completion yet I wouldn't worry about this just yet.

o_thedarkone
03-06-2005, 09:12 AM
torrents!

o_eat
03-06-2005, 01:13 PM
It'll be through private download servers and Id expect some torrents aswell so everyone can get downloading really fast upon the release, and not have to queue for days.

I wouldnt mind making CDs for people on 56k and ISDN as long as its not too many!

o_qbaler
03-06-2005, 10:30 PM
I host a web server in Boston (t3 or something like that.. good ol college), I'll be hosting the files to help out (that is assuming FF lets me).

And assuming it comes out while im there... summer comming soon.. not likely to come out b4 summer but could come out when i come back to college.

whatever

o_majinvegeta
03-06-2005, 11:06 PM
is this post about code snag true

Well the word is out that the coding is snagged and while they crank out models hand over fist, the coding is still snagged. In fact many now are talking that it may not in fact make it out before TF-2 or tfc:s.

So don't hold your breath. Maps and models look cool, but its still not a game yet!

These guys are doing this for free in their spare time, so it will take far more time than for guys working TF-2 full time. Still you have to give them credit for making an effort!

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=a86497a811f22a9095069e1f3c1a18a7&threadid=258102

o_rebo
03-06-2005, 11:19 PM
That is 100% definitely NOT true. I have no idea where that guy got that idea from. We have the following dedicated coders on the team

Billdoor
Mulchman
Vorn
Mirven_Monkey
L0ki
Phero

Thats a 6 man dedicated coding team, probably more than other mods. Ive no idea where he gets the idea coding is snagged our internal alpha is shaping up very nicely indeed :).

o_sobe green
03-07-2005, 12:27 AM
Maybe he misinterpreted an inverview or something.

o_cruor
03-07-2005, 12:49 AM
Maybe he misinterpreted an inverview or something.

Maybe he's just trying to save Valve's appearence, I mean they've been working on TF2 for several years allthough it was scrapped for later being transferred to the new engine that's still not a pretty merit. And they've probably been coding on the new TF2 for well over a year now and what do they have to show for it, nothing not that we know of at least. And TFC:S pfff probably going to be a direct port, nothing changed and there will probably be teleporters as well *yuck*.

I know FF with it's talented coding team is going to have this mod out in no time at all.

o_billdoor
03-07-2005, 01:05 AM
No one else even knows when or if TF2 or TF:S will be out, so that guy must be a super sleuth or something :oops:

o_majinvegeta
03-07-2005, 02:56 AM
No one else even knows when or if TF2 or TF:S will be out, so that guy must be a super sleuth or something :oops:

lol omg someone got it right TF:S not TFC:S :)

o_majinvegeta
03-07-2005, 03:00 AM
wierd the post is gone!

o_sobe green
03-07-2005, 03:54 AM
Of course it is, it applied to something Fortress Forever related.

Mulchman MM
03-07-2005, 04:57 AM
Paypal'ing me $50,000 USD might* get you an early version of FF.

*probably not, but I could use the money anyway!!!

o_majinvegeta
03-07-2005, 05:05 AM
take paymeant? and how early?

o_sobe green
03-07-2005, 05:21 AM
Paypal'ing me $50,000 USD might* get you an early version of FF.

*probably not, but I could use the money anyway!!!

That is if you didn't invest all your money into the mystery envelope ;)

o_qbaler
03-07-2005, 09:22 AM

lol omg someone got it right TF:S not TFC:S :)

wait why is it TF:S?

I mean valve has never really commented much on TFC:S or this TF:S. TFC:S means a port over of tfc to steam. TFC not just a general TF mod but TFC. TF:S would mean that its not tfc but instead TF. So who is to say they are making TF:s instead of TFC:S? unless my understanding of abreviations is completely off. Or that valve said TF:S and not TFC:S which as far as I know they really said neither.

o_thedarkone
03-07-2005, 09:30 AM
TFC is already a port over to a new engine.

I guess you could call Valve's port of TF to Source Team Fortress Classic Classic, but why not TF:S?

o_majinvegeta
03-07-2005, 06:03 PM
Team Fortress Classic implies the older.

dictionary definition: Having historical or literary associations.
they are making a new tf or a new mod so it wouldn't be called tfc

o_curly
03-07-2005, 07:42 PM
Valve uses the term "Classic" to note that it's a remake of an older game. I assume this because it also applies to Deathmatch Classic. (TFC is a remake of qwTF, and Deathmatch Classic is a remake of quake1 deathmatch.) There are some things that valve has changed from qwTF in TFC, but on the whole TFC is a faithful port.

o_ghost
03-07-2005, 08:13 PM
i agree with curly.

o_sobe green
03-07-2005, 08:14 PM
I disagree TFC isn't a port. Its a complete other game. Compare TF to TFC is the same as comparing TFC to Fortress Forever. Same idea, but they are on different engines and changes are being made. A port is usually meant as almost an exact replicate of the original.

o_ghost
03-07-2005, 08:28 PM
Fine, if you don't want to call it a direct port then say it was named TFC because is was based heavily on TF.

o_sobe green
03-07-2005, 08:32 PM
I didn't mean for it to sound hostile if it did. I was just pointing out it isn't a direct port.

Half-Life: Source is a direct port of Half-Life
Counter-Strike: Source isn't a direct port of Counter-Strike

That is the best way I can explain it.

o_curly
03-07-2005, 09:41 PM
oops, I mean't "TFC is a faithful remake [of qwTF]."