PDA

View Full Version : Crossover Screens & Various Soundage

o_friedbunny
03-05-2005, 06:03 AM
Eat (after getting these ready for last week, sorry dude!) and Ghroth (also after much ado) have been busy!

http://www.fortress-forever.com/media/thumbs/ff_crossover_1.jpg (http://www.fortress-forever.com/?a=media&id=ff_crossover_1) (three others on yonder media page! (http://www.fortress-forever.com/?a=media))

Y'all are going to have to get eat to explain his new crossover layout (two bridges, water exit on the opposite side, midfield battlements). :wink: Oh, and comparison images from Valve's TFC crossover2 have been included to lessen any potential disorientation, hope they help.

As well, Ghroth's new sounds include... conc, emp, mirv, sniper-rifle, and an updated super-shotty.

o_sphyre
03-05-2005, 06:09 AM
fucking sweet

o_dirkpitt
03-05-2005, 06:27 AM
wow that is freaking amazing, I love the water exit.

o_virus
03-05-2005, 06:35 AM
Sweet Screen Shots can't wait to see this mod when it's done.
Release some good Texture packs ASAP just for me...
good to see you around DP

o_dirkpitt
03-05-2005, 06:48 AM
omg it's virus, how's it going man?

o_geokill----->
03-05-2005, 08:03 AM
That looks nothing like crossover2 :evil:

o_psycho_soldier
03-05-2005, 08:50 AM
I agree, looks nothing like crossover too. I think it needs mountain sides. I hate the plain cement wall. I've been playing some HL2 CTF maps and too many maps are too plain. I would love to see bumpmapped cliff sides with rotating lights or something. I honestly think the map looks nice, I just think it can look nicer if you give it more cliff sides, and tunnels through the moutain side with half broken lamps inside swinging back and forth with some nice lighting effects. I would say the map is inspired by crossover2 is completely different. I hope you aren't too far along to take my suggestions in mind even though I'm sure you have already thought of it.

o_ivaqual
03-05-2005, 09:06 AM
S W E E T

even if i would have kept the rock where it was to make the map more recognizable. this looks nothing like crossover2, as it has been already said.

but very good work none the less

add : about the soundage : freaking awesome. the dispenser and sentry sounds have a very industrial feel to them, wich is both masterfully rendered and perfectly fitting for TF. good work

add : oh, i'm sure you already noticed but in the "crossover : battlements" screenshot you can clearly see the grate part of the bridge not showing shadowing the ground below.

o_los_omega
03-05-2005, 09:15 AM
Nice map but ya, this is alien to the original. I can see Eat making the well map with his style...smooth, clean, matching with rugged industrial environment. I do love how you made your textures/lights match very well on the layout. Great work on time consuming perfection!

o_rebo
03-05-2005, 09:34 AM
The thing is many of these maps need a makeover to either correct dodgy gameplay elements or to shake them up in other ways.

To transfer maps without thought or consideration of gameplay issues from TFC wouldnt be wise. All mapping must be done for gameplay and consistency purposes. Whilst this does mean some maps will look a bit different and some will look quite similar it is because those changes are required.

o_flare
03-05-2005, 10:13 AM
i don't see a bridge in the bridge screenshot... am i not looking at it right?

o_mirage
03-05-2005, 12:11 PM
I think theres either 2 that angle away from the screen to the left and right, or that they havent been added yet :)

Can I just say aswell that that EMP sound is meaty as fuck! (can I say fuck?). Very nice.

As for the maps....well, can't really expect anything else from eat. I like the new angle look, and anyway i'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to just port over TFC maps as direct copies if some non member (or even a current member) of the team wanted to do that and release them.

The map reminds me of Bam and Redgiant, style wise.

o_afx
03-05-2005, 12:30 PM
Crossover2 was unplayable in a clanmatch and on pubs it just generally degenerated into whoever could cram the most hwgs onto the midfield bridge, so the fact this doesnt look exactly like xo2 is no bad thing.

However to say it looks nothing like it is more than a bit foolish and the only major change im seeing is that the midfield is different, but as i said that is for the good of the map.

o_storm
03-05-2005, 12:47 PM
I have to say the architecture in those maps is just stunning, aesthetically you have done an amazing job there eat. You definitely have the artists touch :) As you know we can never know how it is going to play until it is played but fingers crossed it's a winner :)

o_dirkpitt
03-05-2005, 12:48 PM
god I want this game to be released so badly. I'm getting so bored of the games that are out now.

o_medi
03-05-2005, 01:10 PM
the changes in crossover are good imo, like the new style. Tho not to many maps should be dark like that. Try to find a nice balance.

Flag room is very nice and change (?) in midfield is a good thing.

like the sniper sound aswell

o_mattous
03-05-2005, 01:14 PM
I agree with storm the architecture on this map is amazing! I think it looks absolutely stunning! Great job eat. I can see this has aspects that are different to the orignal but that has got to happen to make the map more balanced, the one bridge in the middle was a big choke point and hard to get past when all the defense is focused there. Seriously Great job, the new sounds are awesome too, loving the new shotty sound :D

Keep it up guys!

o_binarylife
03-05-2005, 01:48 PM
It's intresting, defanately different.
But defanately good. I want to play on it. NOW. :-)

o_player
03-05-2005, 01:50 PM
Very nice. It looks more open and the colour scheme is really nice. And it looks as though he was inspired by Schtop :D. Good job.

o_elvis2049
03-05-2005, 02:09 PM
wooot ownage those screens.
i see that there has realy been thought ow the playing speed.
its much more open and less spammy like the original....
its a great improvement imho 8)
hopefully the rest will be done with the same consideration like this map :)
keep up the good work guys :!: :P

o_soulcutter
03-05-2005, 02:11 PM
Ok I've got a few things:

First, as was already pointed out above, the bridge leading to the battlements doesn't shadow the ground below it. Second, I like how (as far as I can tell, on my old computer, screen is dark) when you drop into the pit you have to run up the stairs to each side of the platform thing instead of just running straight up into the flag. Unless I'm looking at this wrong of course...

As for the sounds I love the mirv, emp, and sniper rifle. They all kick major ass. The conc however... I don't know. The sound sounds more like it would be for the regular frag grenade. Granted, I haven't played TFC in so long I can't remember what the explosions sounded like for the conc, but the conc explosion sound just doesn't sit well with me right now. Dah well, I'm sure I'll get used to it.

o_player
03-05-2005, 02:14 PM
Forgot about the sounds.

Sniper Rifle = Perfect
S Shotgun = Perfect
Emp = Perfect
Mirv = Perfect
Conc = Good

The conc is great but I think it could fade out a bit more.

Correct me if I am wrong but the grate part of the bridge doesn't leave a shadow because it isn't actually part of the bridge if you know what I mean...

o_elvis2049
03-05-2005, 02:16 PM
you can prolly also just drop the conc beneth you (wen standing on yard)and fly right ontop of the flag :P
and also drop conc beneth you when having the flag and conc 2 the yard again ;)

as 4 the conc sound i have 2 agree with the others.
it doenst sound like a conc.
plz keep the same (or almost) as original :)

o_karn
03-05-2005, 02:24 PM
dark and gloomy, looks like it has a q3f feel to it :?.

o_afx
03-05-2005, 02:33 PM
I love the emp sound but the conc definitely needs more WHOOMPPPPPPH :p

o_ritch
03-05-2005, 02:39 PM
very nice eat, your maps get better and better. I hope plays as well as it looks.

o_rilbo
03-05-2005, 02:42 PM
Very nice updates!

I think the changes to xo2 will be great, especially midmap with two bridges. Not sure about it being so dark, though....I'd like to hear if there is any reason behind that.
I'm also curios about the water exit. Why has it been moved? I can't see what difference it will make, but it will be exciting to read the explanation :)

o_player
03-05-2005, 02:53 PM
I don't think the water exit has been removed. They have a picture of the grate, which is now broken bars. Any under water shots?

Dark = New atmosphere, New atmosphere = Fun and new.

I always thought that Crossover2 was a bit bright anyway.

o_valk
03-05-2005, 03:05 PM
crossover > u

o_nitro?
03-05-2005, 03:34 PM
The map itselfs looks great but it's just so DARK :(

Light maps are more fun to play imho.

o_sh4x
03-05-2005, 03:53 PM
Groth you gotta change the conc sound man it's rrrreally not fitting =)

Needs more vvvvvloooommm than pphhhrrrrrr.

All the other sounds are very nice tho!

o_sh4x
03-05-2005, 03:56 PM
The map itselfs looks great but it's just so DARK :(

Light maps are more fun to play imho.

I agree with that. I usually try to skip dark maps, unless I HAVE to play it, then I crank my brightness and my screen gets damaged faster.

o_sobe green
03-05-2005, 04:22 PM
Everything is fine except the conc sound. It just doesn't sound alot like a conc, or a sound I want to hear often. The EMP doesn't sound very good but I think seeing an animation will change that.

o_jefferino
03-05-2005, 04:22 PM
OMG those screen shots have got too be the sickest revamp of a map i've ever seen. I LOVE the roundish look of the main entrance now!!! It's looks so cool!!! I wonder if there's going to be two side entrances where the demoman can det. This is awsome!!! Great work.

The new sounds are pretty sweet too!

o_standard delux
03-05-2005, 05:54 PM
The maps looks great. I likw the way the pit has been opened up a bit. Also the changes in the midfiled look like a great freshen up. I think cliffs round the out side would look good.

Thought the conc sound needed more whoosh to it. Sounds a bit flat imo. :(

Emp sound is great. The little crackle of electricity is nice.

Thought the mirv could do with pumping up a bit but is good as is.

Great work guys. :!: :lol: :!:

o_lillbrorsan
03-05-2005, 06:09 PM
OMG :shock:

o_voipme
03-05-2005, 06:13 PM
Guys, when complaining about the sounds, keep in mind that they're being played by themselves, and not as part of a fast paced match or pub. Once all of the sounds, sights, smells(?) come together in a final product, THEN you can start complaining if they're still not to your liking.

Awesome work guys, keep it up.

Jiggles
03-05-2005, 06:17 PM
Crossover needed some work, and eat made the correct changes.
The architecture is terrific!
I hope you guys make a custom texture pack soon.

o_cruor
03-05-2005, 06:17 PM
Great map... looks great, can't wait to play to see how it plays compared to the original.

As per the sounds:

EMP: Total pwnage, awsome work.
MIRV: Great
Shotgun (update): Awsome much better
Sniper: first and last sound are zoom in, zoom out right those sound good and the shotsound is great, if amplified a bit.
CONC: Definently needs a rewamp, doesn't get a concussion feel from it.

Aside from that great work team, mod coming along nicely.

o_dr zauis
03-05-2005, 06:24 PM
I LOVE the EMP sound, soooo perfect.

But the mirv i feel needs to be a bit longer with more explosive sound. Doesnt feel as dangerous as it used to be, unless of course that what your going for.

And the conc, i dont know what to do to it, but it just doesnt feel like a conc. IDK why, but it needs to be a bit diff.

Sniper rifle is nice, and the ssg is okay, i love the shot sound, but i guess that thum-pop in the begining is a reload? IDK, its your MOD. Im just making suggestions

o_kermit
03-05-2005, 06:53 PM
I've had a run around on Eats version of Crossover2 for FF and the changes hes made to the map are phenomenal.
Crossover2 was always a fun map to play, however it was never a strong map in clan situations due to several design flaws. :\
I can't wait to play this map competitively as its more balanced than ever before and just designed with teamplay finesse!

Great work eatpal!

o_darthgreg
03-05-2005, 06:59 PM
rebo or eat (or any dev), care to shed any light on the goal of the changes we see to the map here? Two seperate bridges, will teams be forced to only leave their base via one of those bridges? What about the raised flag platform?

I realize it's a work in progress, but I, and I'm sure others, would be interested what kind of gameplay changes you are trying to achieve with some of these revamps, and overall. I may be too bold in saying this, but it looks like it might play nothing like crossover2.

And why so dark! :P

PHISH
03-05-2005, 07:00 PM
I love the emp sound but the conc definitely needs more WHOOMPPPPPPH :p

o_sobe green
03-05-2005, 07:07 PM
I don't really think there is a crossover gameplay to lose. That map has always been fun, but not if you are on the average pub.

o_cap
03-05-2005, 08:31 PM
Good lordy guys, _excellent._ I don't know what these people are talking about with the SSG sound, how it's "better." It doesn't get better than that!

The conc however, definitely needs some beefing, as well as the EMP I think. The Mirv also, unless it's power is intentionally being turned down, doesn't sound like the "room clearing, explosion(s) of doom" that it should be.

As for Crossover2, I was always "eh..." about the map, and I have trust that you guys will do the right things to make it more balanced, fluid/dynamic. As for it being darker, I can't say I approve of this. I don't mind dark maps, as long as they are the _EXCEPTION._

Rock on guys, keep up the good work!

Cap

o_kupla
03-05-2005, 08:39 PM
Just like Afx said, conc is like *whoomp* but it should be like *WHOOOOOPPPPPHH*

o_vertical
03-05-2005, 08:55 PM
Holy ****, damn nice, I love love love the redone crossover map, thats awesome, all of the sounds are great, I wasn't exhilerated with the conc, but the rest are awesome :D

o_anthraxium[wu]
03-05-2005, 09:16 PM
xo2: looks awesome graphix wise - would prefer it to be lighter (who would be concing and RJing at 11:30 pm??)

EMP: love it: thumbsup

SSG: like it better than before: thumbs up

MIRV: sounds alright, would like it to be a bit bigger: thumbs up (for starting it)

CONC: wtf? sounds like a short clip of a jet flyby: thumbs down :(

overall i like it update :) and i understand its only been the beginning of these things, just expressing my opinion about what should / should not be changed ;)

o_comrade tiki
03-05-2005, 09:23 PM
The map should be named "crossover3".

It's very sexy. Very very sexy. It looks great, but it does need some of the rockfaces back. And the center yard feels open...definitely not how it felt in the old crossover2. Will the battlements be accessible from right behind the structure? If so, then it sounds great. I can hardly wait to flank greedy snipers in pub play.

o_landshark
03-05-2005, 09:50 PM
The layout changes look very intriguing and the architecture's nice. I don't mind that it's concrete walls now, but I do think it looks too dark.

ps: conc sound could probably use a little beefing up, but I like how short and un-echoing it is :p

Jiggles
03-05-2005, 10:58 PM
I may be too bold in saying this, but it looks like it might play nothing like crossover2.

By that you mean there won't be a clusterfuck of spam on the middle bridge.

Good.

o_vanquish
03-05-2005, 11:57 PM
I think he meant it would play differently in the sense that the bases themselves have changed. Different strategies will be needed so essentially it's like playing a totally new map instead of using the same old xo2 clan strats. It seems now that the pit is more open and there is no doorway to the flag room a few different strats will be in order. It'll be interesting to see is the play speed has been affected by the changes. Before it used to be so fast paced that once a D was broken it could almost be impossible to recover, it seems like a larger distance between bases now so that should be addresses.

Overall I love it. My only gripe is the lighting, it seems a tad dark, but that's what the ultrabrite button on my monitor is for. :p

o_valk
03-06-2005, 12:16 AM
everything is good.

however i dont think the conc sound is being liked by many as it just sounds too short and pussy.

crossover is brilliant and all the bad things about crossover2 have been fixed and will be a better league map now judging by screenies. maybe too dark? but u cant tell until ur in the server tbh

o_eat
03-06-2005, 12:19 AM
People had strats for co2? :D

Its essentially the same map. It connects up in the same way. The pit bone is connected to the Fr bone. The FR bone is connected to the... RR bone. The RR bone is connected to the .... yard bone. A good example of the changes is the water route. It comes out in the corner of the pit (and on the opposite side) instead of beside the FR. Anyway, you get the idea. If you guys think its too different I'll change the name to something original and pass it off as a totally new map :wink:

o_comrade tiki
03-06-2005, 12:24 AM
Crossover3? Crossunder? Straightover2? :P

o_bullurine
03-06-2005, 12:42 AM
map looks great! i love the little touch with the screen shot of the old TFC map to show what it looked like before.
all changes are for the better. this thing is amazing! i didnt really have a problem with the darkness of the map, changes the atmosphere, again, for the better. eat knows how to do it right

conc needs to be more exciting

shotgun sound is better!

emp - love that electrical touch to it

mirv - sounds are sweet. suggestion to the people that dont think its not awesome: turn your volume up higher! sounds 10x better at higher volume

o_binarylife
03-06-2005, 01:03 AM
Actualy the map is called "Crossover". It is very reckonizeable as Crossover, and the general layout is clearly the same. The changes aren't what I'd call minor,but they make for much more interesting confrontations during gameplay. Two bridges to fight and defend, imagine shooting from one bridge to the other.

o_flare
03-06-2005, 01:07 AM
don't mind that xover is so dark, as long as more maps are brighter. in fact, make rock2 bright to breathe some new life into that too =b

o_ghroth
03-06-2005, 01:40 AM
since the wma files are 70 kb or less they tend to alter the quality of the wav files, so dont fret if it sounds odd

i realy wanted to offer the sounds to show progress

as for the conc sound, its no shorter than the originals, but i apreciate your comments

so i have made some adjustments to it

o_thedarkone
03-06-2005, 01:47 AM
The red thing is connected to my wrist watch --
Uh oh.

Keep up the good work! Just wondering if you'd changed the det-able tunnel, though.

o_dd
03-06-2005, 02:01 AM
crossover looks awesome, gj eat.

o_sobe green
03-06-2005, 02:39 AM
The screenshots don't look nearly as dark at work. Both computers are at default gamma and brightness settings so I'm not sure what the deal is.

o_comrade tiki
03-06-2005, 02:53 AM
Maybe the light gray background is making the map look dark.... You see, when the entire screen is dark, it looks much much better, I am sure. Set it as your wallpaper, and it should look pretty good. I love the light levels how they are.

o_ghost
03-06-2005, 03:06 AM
I use a dual monitor setup and my LCD definitely displays the screenshots brighter than on my CRT i use for the second monitor. I have designed websites using colors that seemed to work well on my LCD and go look it on another computer to be shocked at how dark it looked.

I like the brightness when I look at those screenshots from my LCD. It doesn't appear to be too dark. However, I would agree that it does look dark while looking at it with my crt.

o_comrade tiki
03-06-2005, 03:10 AM
GhOsT is correct. The LCD I am using at the moment is very bright compared to other computers which I use, so I guess my lighting opinion wasn't valid. For example, the colour #c0c0c0 looks white on this monitor!

o_monkeystevie
03-06-2005, 03:44 AM
Love the screenshots, great architecture. Looks like you have really made this your own while its still essentially crossover. The midfield looks great with the 2 bridges to break it up (the water in hl2 never fails to impress me each time i see it) and the changes in the fr also look spot on. Im assuming the flag room was raised off the lower ground level so it can't be spammed from above by both offy and def alike, amongst other things too im sure.
I think it looks awesome, can't wait to play it. Don't go showing us all your maps though guys, we need surprises for the big day :D

The sounds are mostly great, love the emp sound!! Not too sure about the conc sound, sounds a bit like im pulling my kitchen table out from the corner:) although with a bit of tweaking im sure it will be just fine.

Didnt read through all the posts here so if i mentioned anything already covered (and i probably have) just ignore.

good job guys <3

o_mj
03-06-2005, 03:46 AM
ill reserve judgement on the map until its playable. Sounds on the other sound great! Mirv and conc needs tweakin'

o_4est
03-06-2005, 04:48 AM
Maps:

OMG... I have no suggestions at all.... they just look fantastic. Plus, I have never played one of these maps, so how could I judge them?

Sounds:

Conc - needs balls and more reverb/echo/decay

Sniper - good
MIRV - good

SSG- 90% - much better. The shell loading is much better not sounding like a hollow tube of plastic is being loaded. I would even vote for a more solid sound. The mechanics of the pump are 100%. The initial "blast" sounds like 2 blasts with a tiny delay. Maybe it's to give the effect of 2 blasts or maybe it's the 1st echo. The decay of the blast is perfect. Make the initial blast have a harder attack (more boom?) with more definition, and it will be 100% perfect.

SG and Disp - very good

EMP - DEAR GOD that is impressive! - best sound effect ever.

o_ghroth
03-06-2005, 05:48 AM
now the mirv is a scripted sound, which means that there is normaly one explosion, and one impact that is scripted to sequence the mirv explosion
there isnt just one sound for a mirv, i had to mix one for the sake of example

as for the high pitched aliasing you hear that is due to encoding it to a 70 kb file for the webpage

the shell reload has a fuller sound as a .wav

as for more reverb delay and echo, and oh yeh "balls" lol
realisticly speaking one would hear two things when using a conc
the explosion of contained pressure
and the wind rushing past your ears

to add enviornmental sounds such as reverb delay and echo would kind of thin out the power of the blast

as for balls i doubt that you would want to put a conc anywhere near them

but ill mess around as usual, to see if i cant get some more testies packed into the sound

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

o_nomak
03-06-2005, 06:19 AM
:shock: I cant believe...what....i....just....saw :shock: .....i ....jus-s-s-st.....sa-w-w-w....the best MAP EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!TRUELLY AMAZING I MUST SAY!!!! THAT IS THE WORK OF A GENIOUS! (or how ever you spell it). THAT MAP IS AMAZING!!!!. the screenshot with the water :!: dont even get me started the water looks AMAZINGLY REALISTIC. although now its based in night and has more of a industrial/futuristic look to it WHO CARES!!! I NEVER CARED ABOUT THE ROCK WALLS I JUST LIKED THE MAP AND NOW THIS!!!! O THIS MAP IS GONNA ROCK MY SOCKS!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

WHEN ARE WE MAPPERS GOING TO GET OUR TEXTURE PACK? those textures are so SeXy

I must say Eat, you are truelly a cyberspace architect, genious, and a SUPER DUPER PERSON!

Eat I have no choice but to award you my award. The CAKE award. Now this award only goes out to my icons. This award goes out to the people that inspire me to keep going when the tough gets tough. This award my fellow freinds goes to Eat who with his masterful mouse, and keyboard has put together what we humans can call...a TFC/FF heaven! :D

o_bushido
03-06-2005, 10:00 AM
Great job on crossover! This is a perfect example of the types of changes the FF team has been hinting at. It also shows the team is very in touch with what needs to be fixed, and is not shy about making those much needed fixes.

The screenies really showcase the re-balancing of the map, the dual bridges to unchoke the center, and the rebalancing of the pit for both O and D with the nifty double ramp... eliminating another choke point from an O standpoint, but the added lip make the drop and conc in / out move harder, which is good for D.

The darkness is a nice touch too, I love the new mood of it.

All in all, I'm impressed with the team really going all out to make this the game we always wanted TF to be.

o_qbaler
03-06-2005, 10:50 AM
looking and sounding great guys

ghroth a couple things:
will the conc grenade beep? as in three beeps then boom like tfc?

the sniper rifle's reload sound (or insert coin sound) hurts my ears a bit, is this high pitch sound just cuz of the encoding? cuz besides it being a lil too high pitch it sounds great.

and I LOVE THAT MIRV!

o_rebo
03-06-2005, 02:29 PM

yes but there will be an alternative option of a voice countdown.

o_dd
03-06-2005, 03:31 PM

yes but there will be an alternative option of a voice countdown.

good good, used the voice countdown myself :)

o_saintrancid-tpf-
03-06-2005, 06:34 PM
great job!!!

o_ghroth
03-06-2005, 06:52 PM
I'm liking everything except the conc. Conc sounds like an explosion from a 1960's war film. It really needs scrapping and redoing completely IMHO. The community has spoken, fullas, so get cracking! ;)

FYI its not the only conc soun, and again its been encoded in wma so your not going to hear that kind of quality ingame

also if any of the community is actualy interested in being helpfull
explain why you think that it needs to be changed
or what you think it should sound like

saying things like "its crap fix it, i can do better, redo it, start over, ect"
does not put the chance of the sound(s) being redone in your favor

also take into consideration what kind of speakers and headphones you are using lol

o_comrade tiki
03-06-2005, 07:10 PM
It doesn't sound loud enough at the start, and it fades out way too fast.
The original TFC one simply sounded large, powerful, and hollow. Sort of like the extended sound of hand being slapped on one end of a short PVC tube.

...I confess, my left speaker is not working. ;-)

PHISH
03-06-2005, 07:18 PM
Yeah critiquing sounds is hard, especially when it is by itself and not during gameplay. I guess my suggestion is that it needs to be slightly smoother and more even sounding? I guess more like an even "pulse" of energy as opposed to a more grainy explosion, hard to describe but I did my best hehe.

o_cruor
03-06-2005, 08:19 PM
It doesn't sound loud enough at the start, and it fades out way too fast.
The original TFC one simply sounded large, powerful, and hollow. Sort of like the extended sound of hand being slapped on one end of a short PVC tube.

...I confess, my left speaker is not working. ;-)

I'd have to agree with comrade tiki that it should originate from something like a cupped hand banging the end of a large plastic tube of some sort. Then amplified and played around with to achieve the right effect.

At least it might be worth a shot to try something like that.

o_storm
03-06-2005, 09:06 PM
Just thought I would give you my feedback on the conc.

On my system it sounds like run of the mill explosion at distance. I suppose I am remembering the sound of the conc while HH which means I am at the centre of the sound instead of outside the sound. Perhaps it will sound different then while concing? Maybe to silence the critics you could put the full quality sound up for download for a short period of time, or maybe even put up a download of the original conc sound for direct comparison? At least then peeps will be able to make a more useful critique :)

o_qbaler
03-06-2005, 10:27 PM
how are you guys managing dimensions? Like will a concer be able to hand held out of the pit with the flag all the way to the yard exit? This is an essential offensive move.

how are you guys making sure that this will be possible? or are you even doing so?

-curious offensive concer

o_sobe green
03-06-2005, 10:32 PM
To me the conc was a sound that pretty much described the conc animation. Each time I hear the TFC conc sound I immediately see in my head the conc going off. The conc should kind of go off get loud and "deep" then kind of fade out.

Like boo_WWW_www (if that makes sense)
That con noise just goes
bsshhzt

I'm crazy I know. *takes medication*

o_rebo
03-06-2005, 10:55 PM
qbaler half of those issues can be sorted by comparing to dimensions in TFC. THe other half get ironed out in play testing.

o_player
03-06-2005, 11:43 PM
Rocket sprites look nice in the dark :D. Especially some nice custom ones.

o_ghroth
03-07-2005, 12:01 AM
wow awsome suggestions ill get to work on them
btw a concussion grenade is an explosion without tnt or shrapnel

the whole digeridoo idea or clapping is nice a start

sounds are hard to describe
so you guys rule for trying to sort it out and not settle for "its stupid fix it"

on one hand i want to emulate the original, but if we end up using the originals as well, then i want a variety of possible sounds to choose from
let alone try somthing new that may end up workin

ive spent quite a bit of time today listening to the originals
my first impression seems to be some kind of tight bass drum with a filter sweep as the tail
and im tryin to stay away from musical sounds for explosions

o_sobe green
03-07-2005, 12:20 AM
Yea I think it'll be alot easier to fine tune the sounds once you guys get the beta out there. So far I'm really enjoying most of them. The old shotgun sound didn't really bother me as much as it did some. I like the mirv sound, it sounds "new" and reminds me slightly of the clusterbomb in Gunman Chronicles. You have it the hardest right now when it comes to pleasing the community as we can only go on what we here because there is no visual to go along with it. Drink a few SoBe's when your under stress ha.

o_cruor
03-07-2005, 12:39 AM
Ghroth here's some sounds that you might play around with to rewamp that conc, don't know how good soundrate it's on them but you can at least check them out. Posting quite a few, first link is a link to the sound's page (can listen to a sample there), the second is a direct link to the zip containing the .wav file.

http://www.flashkit.com/soundfx/Mayhem/Explosives/booom-Public_D-21/index.php
Direct link .zip (http://www.flashkit.com/downloads/soundfx/wav/21/booom.zip)

http://www.flashkit.com/soundfx/Mayhem/Explosives/Explosio-Public_D-201/index.php
Direct link .zip (http://www.flashkit.com/downloads/soundfx/wav/201/Explosion.zip)

http://www.flashkit.com/soundfx/Mayhem/Explosives/Explosio-Ivan-8042/index.php
Direct link .zip (http://www.flashkit.com/downloads/soundfx/wav/8042/Explosion.zip)

http://www.flashkit.com/soundfx/Mayhem/Explosives/Whoosh-Public_D-76/index.php
Direct link .zip (http://www.flashkit.com/downloads/soundfx/wav/76/Whoosh.zip)

http://www.flashkit.com/soundfx/Mayhem/Bombs/drips-Public_D-165/index.php
Direct link .zip (http://www.flashkit.com/downloads/soundfx/wav/165/drips.zip)

http://www.flashkit.com/soundfx/Mayhem/Bombs/Ultra-Re-Flexburg-8053/index.php
Direct link .zip (http://www.flashkit.com/downloads/soundfx/wav/8053/Ultra-Realistic%20nuclear%20bomb.zip)

http://www.flashkit.com/soundfx/Mayhem/Rockets/Zoop-Public_D-15/index.php
Direct link .zip (http://www.flashkit.com/downloads/soundfx/wav/15/Zoop.zip)

http://www.flashkit.com/soundfx/Mayhem/Handguns/GUN-Sergeant-8091/index.php
Direct link .zip (http://www.flashkit.com/downloads/soundfx/wav/8091/.:GUN:..zip)

http://www.flashkit.com/soundfx/Mayhem/Handguns/Handgun-MelonHea-7519/index.php
Direct link .zip (http://www.flashkit.com/downloads/soundfx/wav/7519/Handgun.zip)

http://www.flashkit.com/soundfx/Mayhem/Fighting/PowerSla-InsaneSi-7901/index.php
Direct link .zip (http://www.flashkit.com/downloads/soundfx/wav/7901/PowerSlap.zip)

http://www.flashkit.com/soundfx/Mayhem/Other/Thunderi-oblius-7748/index.php
Direct link .zip (http://www.flashkit.com/downloads/soundfx/wav/7748/Thundering%20Bass%20Approaching.zip)

o_binarylife
03-07-2005, 01:54 AM
That one handgun is totally from Doom haha.

I'm such a nerd.

A lot of those are cool, I know they weren't meant for me, but I had fun playing.

o_ghroth
03-07-2005, 04:58 AM
Thank you very much for your offerings!
Though, I already have some of those sounds.

FYI I have 7 conc sounds made up, including the 3 originals, though they are tweeked.

My goal is to have more sounds than whats needed, so we can have a pick of the best kind of thing.

The stuff thats on the website is kind of like a WIP, though its a poor demonstration because of their tiny file size. So some of the sounds aliase or sound thin.

Like the SSG started off pretty basic and now its turning into somthing tollerable.

:wink:
:lol:

o_cruor
03-07-2005, 12:58 PM
Thank you very much for your offerings!
Though, I already have some of those sounds.

FYI I have 7 conc sounds made up, including the 3 originals, though they are tweeked.

My goal is to have more sounds than whats needed, so we can have a pick of the best kind of thing.

The stuff thats on the website is kind of like a WIP, though its a poor demonstration because of their tiny file size. So some of the sounds aliase or sound thin.

Like the SSG started off pretty basic and now its turning into somthing tollerable.

:wink:
:lol:

Don't mention it, hehe I kind of expected you to have some of those sounds :D but posted them cause I thought some of them could be tweaked into some very good concsounds.

And I do understand that websampling the sounds deteriorate their quality greatly. But I can't wait to hear some more of your conc-versions.

Keep up the good work

o_smiling_ol_fu
03-07-2005, 06:13 PM
What did xo1 look like again? or was there never a 1?

o_trancer
03-07-2005, 07:30 PM
It doesnt look enough like crossover2 for me (as already said) needs the rock faces etc.. The biggest thing is though, the original Crossover was sunny, with blue skies. I think it should be kept like that. Sunny and bright, not dark like it is here.

o_ivaqual
03-07-2005, 07:39 PM
as far as I can tell, FF's style is heading toward a very dark industrial feel, and i couldn't be more happy with that

o_trancer
03-07-2005, 07:41 PM
as far as I can tell, FF's style is heading toward a very dark industrial feel, and i couldn't be more happy with that

I like a bit of both, a mixture of different styles is better so u dont get bored.

o_evil^milk
03-07-2005, 09:52 PM
great job, although i do feel that the map would be a bit better if it had the cliff walls, ala "Uno" style

the conc sounds great, but let's see what else ghroth comes up with as it could be better (more reverb) :)

the sniper rifle is orgasmic, same with everything else. great job :)

o_wookiee
03-07-2005, 10:44 PM
Question: Is this version of Crossover going to be a night time map? It looks so dark. I can't remember the name, but there was an old TFC map I used to play that was set at night. Does anyone remember the name for that one?

BTW, everything this team has produced for this mod is abosolutely amazing. I can't wait to see this one released. Even if it's jus a couple of maps to playtest. This is what I've been looking forward to for years. More than HL2 itself, and certainly more than CS:S, which is still kind of fun. Keep up the good work guys.

I'm hoping to see a revitalization of the TFC Community following the release of this mod. I started playing in early 2000 and have always thought TFC was the ultimate multiplayer FPS. Can't wait!

o_los_omega
03-08-2005, 04:03 AM
Rock2?
http://www.planetfortress.com/jmcstfmapzone/tfcrock2.htm

o_hex
03-08-2005, 09:50 AM
fuckin sweet guys :) cant wait

o_friedbunny
03-09-2005, 12:56 AM
This is cross-posted from the Catacombs thread, figured y'all might be interested as well...

The rationale behind simply calling it "Crossover" is, as I understand it, that crossover2 was a minor revision rather than a completely different map. This is our initial 'crossover' map, I imagine any post-release revisions will see numbers appended to the tail.

We'll probably end up doing something similar for our 'Bases' series continuation. Shutdown2 did not receive this same treatment because TFC's shutdown and shutdown2 are entirely different maps.

o_pyromainiac
03-10-2005, 08:58 PM
im upset with the new sounds. the old shotty sound was alot better. the new one was just taken from the hl2 shotty and when u load a bullet it sounds like i stuck my finger in my mouth, sucked on it and pulled it out to make a pop noise. the mirv is just the hl2 grenade sound repeating. the conc doesnt sound too well either, it might sound better if it was louder and longer. please bring back the old shotty sound, not this hl2 rip off and get a new explosion sound. i tihnk crsossover2 was changed a bit much, you cant even walk foward to the flag, you have to walk up the stairs and around. also it'll be a sniper fest with the battle ments at the bridge and the platform at the cap area. also are those 2 side bridges or the single bridge wasnt added yet?

o_binarylife
03-11-2005, 03:30 AM
Wait for the shotty to be heard in a fuller range of sound. It's awkward because it's been compressed and made for the website.

In other words, it will more than likely sound much better after the fact. The cocking, and firing sound amazing...and not like Half-Life 2. Simaler, yes, but not the same since even if he did get it from HL2 single player he's probobly altered it signifigantly. Keep in mind, the difference of the TFC Shotgun and the HL1 single player shotgun. The difference in both the model, skin, texture, and sound were very vauge.

That said, the reload sound is a bit strange, perhaps it will sound more effective in a larger file size.

schtoofa
03-11-2005, 03:26 PM
im upset with the new sounds. the old shotty sound was alot better. the new one was just taken from the hl2 shotty and when u load a bullet it sounds like i stuck my finger in my mouth, sucked on it and pulled it out to make a pop noise. the mirv is just the hl2 grenade sound repeating. the conc doesnt sound too well either, it might sound better if it was louder and longer. please bring back the old shotty sound, not this hl2 rip off and get a new explosion sound. i tihnk crsossover2 was changed a bit much, you cant even walk foward to the flag, you have to walk up the stairs and around. also it'll be a sniper fest with the battle ments at the bridge and the platform at the cap area. also are those 2 side bridges or the single bridge wasnt added yet?

Wow lots of stuff there... i'll touch on just a few.

Ghroth can correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe he recorded several live gun shots (his brother has a few guns heh ) including a shotgun blast which is what you hear as the current sound - so it would be tough for it to be an hl2 shotty ripoff ;) (if he didn't include that sound yet then I'm wrong - but I know he took a special trip to his brother's just to record real gun shots and other mechanical gun sounds). As for the conc/mirv/etc -- the sounds are under constant critique and re-work, even if you don't hear an update on the site. Ghroth does a good job and tweaks them until they fit what our desired feel for the game. Also, keep in mind that this stuff is all "work in progress" for the benefit of those who like hearing, seeing, and reading about what we're working on :p Appreciate the feedback!

As for Crossover... there are 2 side bridges - there is no one single bridge. That was part of the redesign to alleviate the issues with the spammy chokepoint that the bridge became. It's definitely a Crossover layout with various changes - some minor, some more major. And so Crossover it will remain!

o_16valve
03-12-2005, 01:25 PM
I like the two bridge idea. It definately changes what ruined the map for league play for the most part.

I'm also one that doesn't like the change to "night" but as long as you guys don't make Well a night map, all is OK.
I like that nearly all TFC maps are daytime. Having nearly all Q3F maps nightime maps is one of the little touches that killed the game for me (amongst other things).

Defrag
03-13-2005, 08:02 PM
I'm not sure if Ghroth has uploaded the new shotgun sound yet, Schtoofa.

o_baker
03-13-2005, 10:10 PM
Crossover2 is WAY too dark. It looks like a map for ETF, which quite frankly sucks bigtime.

I think the conc sound needs to have a lower pitch

o_ob|ivion
03-15-2005, 10:17 AM
As I mentioned in my post that got locked:

From the screenshots, the map looks way too dark. The tfc maps are well lighted and bright.. one of the reasons i like it compared to other fortress style games. Otherwise they just look quake/doom'ish.. just not a fan of dark lighting. I hope the finished map doesn't look like this... for example, look at the tfc comparable screenshot in the corner... the tfc map is way more bright.. better lighted (by my preference that is)

Just expressing a concern, otherwise, good job guys.. keep up the good work.. :)

o_binarylife
03-15-2005, 04:11 PM
It's actualy not directly brighter, but the color tones are lighter. The light brown brown water for example. It looks like it is brighter, since the realistic water takes on colors of it's surroundings and reacts realisticly. Real water would look dark if it's deep.

The same idea goes for the rest. The realistic textures are what makes it look so dark. That said, it does appear that the sky in the map is intentionaly dark, like a night sky. This would naturally effect the brightness level. As long as everything makes sence, and you can see, then I'm sure it'll be fun to play on.

The new textures may take some getting used to in comparison to the old. Thinking back again, the night sky here really does imply that it will be a dark map. I'm interested to play it first, and then worry about it.