PDA

View Full Version : Mapers' Freedom

o_]l[-rare
01-30-2005, 08:48 AM
Will mappers be able to change class settings? e.g. speed, armor, hp, weapon?

o_rebo
01-30-2005, 02:45 PM
Interesting question. I dont think mappers will be able to change armor or class speed values directly, however we may provide mappers with facilities such as quad, invincibility, invisibility etc that are available in TFC. As regard weapon swapping and such, its a possiblity but I really cant say at this time.

The issue with letting mappers change every single aspect of class balance is that newer and casual players will be confused by custom maps and put off the game.

For instance one really annoying thing i find in HL2DM is that every server seems to have different settings such as weaponstay or slow moving or fast item respawn. Whilst this does have some advantages in that it lets servers be a bit unique on the whole its just really annoying when i join a server and super slow movement is on :(.

o_leffe
01-30-2005, 03:49 PM
Interesting question. I dont think mappers will be able to change armor or class speed values directly, however we may provide mappers with facilities such as quad, invincibility, invisibility etc that are available in TFC.

I hope the ring of shadows will work this time >:)

o__thursday_
01-30-2005, 04:28 PM
Interesting question. I dont think mappers will be able to change armor or class speed values directly, however we may provide mappers with facilities such as quad, invincibility, invisibility etc that are available in TFC.

I think that Quad/Invicincibility/Invisibilty should be class specific, but none of these options should be changeable by the level designer. The game needs some simplicity within it, and this would be one of the foundations of that simplicity.

o_a boojum snark
01-31-2005, 04:07 AM
I hope the ring of shadows will work this time >:)

It did actually kinda work, when you had it sentry guns couldn't lock on to you, which is a rather big advantage. I also have a feeling invisiblity to other players may have been left out on purpose, as it would have been rather unbalanced in such a game, though ok in deathmatch.

o_jerm
01-31-2005, 08:29 AM
as a conc/rj mapper I think you should include quad and invunerability. For quad_rocket maps (<3 koochy)

o_]l[-rare
01-31-2005, 10:22 AM
Interesting question. I dont think mappers will be able to change armor or class speed values directly, however we may provide mappers with facilities such as quad, invincibility, invisibility etc that are available in TFC. As regard weapon swapping and such, its a possiblity but I really cant say at this time.

The issue with letting mappers change every single aspect of class balance is that newer and casual players will be confused by custom maps and put off the game.

For instance one really annoying thing i find in HL2DM is that every server seems to have different settings such as weaponstay or slow moving or fast item respawn. Whilst this does have some advantages in that it lets servers be a bit unique on the whole its just really annoying when i join a server and super slow movement is on :(.

yea.. you're absolutely right :)
having different configuration of classes in custom maps would confuse and/or divide our lil tfc community :D