PDA

View Full Version : OSAMA BIN LADEN IS DEAD

Gwarsbane
05-02-2011, 03:41 AM
http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20110501/obama-national-security-110501/

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/05/01/bin.laden.obit/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1

FreaK367
05-02-2011, 05:07 PM
Yeah, I watched Obama's speech last night on CNN, well.. by my time it was about 04:40am, but I tend to stay up too late anyways so I was still up.

It's good news, but everyone seems to think since Bin Laden is dead, suddenly al-Qaeda are going to stop being so bad and not exist. He was just a symbol of al-Qaeda, I'm pretty sure every single decision they make doesn't need a sign of approval from Bin Laden. It probably wont make very much of a difference, if anything.. it will just piss them off some more.

It's like saying if someone killed Obama, America would crumble and suddenly technology would be reduced to the stone age. It wouldn't, someone would just replace him, and everyone in America would be pissed off.

battery
05-02-2011, 07:00 PM
I wish bin Laden were captured and then show-trial.

But killing bin Laden at least gives our troops a boost in morale, which is in a way invaluable.

The question I have is that how was that bin Laden was living right next to a Pakistanian army base? It wasn't like bin Laden was hiding like a hermit; His residence was a lavish compound. I think the Pakistanian authority owes us an explanation.

BinaryLife
05-02-2011, 08:51 PM
I'm more curious to how much longer we intend to stay in Afghanistan. After all our reasoning for going out there was to find and capture/kill the mastermind behind 9/11. We just did that.

Of course, the region isn't stable, or safe and if we leave we'd just be opening it up for new terrorists. Al Queda isn't exactly gone either. As it has been said in this thread, the death of one man doesn't destroy the entire outfit. I'm sure they'll be fine as a terrorist organization.

I agree with Battery that it would have been nice for him to have been arrested and given a trial, however I will settle for being killed. His death will give a morale boost to our soldiers and it will certainly stifle some attacks if not stop them entirely for a while.

FreaK367
05-02-2011, 09:52 PM
I agree with needing to pull troops out of the middle east. I'm from the UK, and we still have up to 10,000 troops in Afghanistan. Germany and France also have troops in the middle east too.

We need to finish training and improving the numbers of their police and army, and slowly let them become independant. And hopefully they will become stable, and start to move their countries forward instead of relying on the US, UK, France, Germany and others to keep the peace.

Iggy
05-04-2011, 03:30 AM
I'm more curious to how much longer we intend to stay in Afghanistan. After all our reasoning for going out there was to find and capture/kill the mastermind behind 9/11. We just did that.

Of course, the region isn't stable, or safe and if we leave we'd just be opening it up for new terrorists. Al Queda isn't exactly gone either. As it has been said in this thread, the death of one man doesn't destroy the entire outfit. I'm sure they'll be fine as a terrorist organization.

I agree with Battery that it would have been nice for him to have been arrested and given a trial, however I will settle for being killed. His death will give a morale boost to our soldiers and it will certainly stifle some attacks if not stop them entirely for a while.

Do you really believe that? I have little doubt that his death will trigger some attacks, or at least attempts. Fanatics will use this event as either inspiration, or motivation.

BinaryLife
05-04-2011, 12:34 PM
I'm sure the desire is there. However, the forces are so much weaker even before his death. I believe that Afghanistan shouldn't be our primary location of assault anymore. I think this is a sign of things to slow down. Assault wise.

Peon
05-04-2011, 06:48 PM
I'll put this here too.......cheese for everyone!
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb450/IanPeon/CTsWin.jpg

battery
05-05-2011, 04:43 AM
I'm sure the desire is there. However, the forces are so much weaker even before his death. I believe that Afghanistan shouldn't be our primary location of assault anymore. I think this is a sign of things to slow down. Assault wise.

On to Afghanistan's neighbor, Pakistan.

BinaryLife
05-05-2011, 08:25 PM
On to Afghanistan's neighbor, Pakistan.

Yeah I wonder how our government will handle that. I have a feeling that they'll just let it slide and see if it blows over.