PDA

View Full Version : Share your Strategy

Bridget
09-14-2009, 04:38 PM
I can't game right now because of some stupid fucking Vista errors with my display drivers. So, I am working on a huge beginner guide to Fortress Forever that will be released in PDF format, sometime and hopefully, in the future. Here's your chance to help me write it. Pick your favourite class, try to do as many classes as you want, or do them all. I need you to write tips on how to play these classes, what to avoid doing as these classes, how to effectively use their nades, and so on. Make it noob-friendly.

Caroline
09-14-2009, 05:30 PM
Sniper guide is already made by Undesirable so I guess no one needs to do a new one :)

http://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=19823&highlight=sniper+guide

Bridget
09-14-2009, 05:32 PM
It isn't about making guides. I need people to provide me with small suggestions for howto/hownotto play each class and utilise their weapons. I want multiple people to give their suggestions, regardless of whether or not someone else gave suggestions to the same class.

wakka
09-14-2009, 05:35 PM
Everyone plays each class differently, I don't see this working and I don't see any noob actually reading it. Alot of it would speak for itself really, e.g

1. Grenades: when throwing grenades as medic make sure they are as close to the enemy as possible for maximum damage.

yeh?

Caroline
09-14-2009, 05:40 PM
Everyone plays each class differently, I don't see this working and I don't see any noob actually reading it. Alot of it would speak for itself really, e.g

1. Grenades: when throwing grenades as medic make sure they are as close to the enemy as possible for maximum damage.

yeh?

Haha. +1.

I just thought you could pick up something from that guide, but if it's not what you're looking for then fine. Nvm.

Mikael_hs
09-14-2009, 06:20 PM
Once 2.4 comes out, I will make an avi that amounts to the same purpose. It will be supercool and render your pdf useless.

good luck though

Bridget
09-14-2009, 06:21 PM
Nevermind, obviously not everyone is capable of understanding what I am asking for. I'll do it myself. Yeah no shit people play classes differently, but they use strategy that is general to the class. Also, reread what I said. How to use grenades effectively. Tur hur "Make sure da grenade iz close 2 da playur" no shit, I'm asking for you to provide more advanced usage of the grenade. EG you could say something stupid like "Throw da emp grenadz into da crowd 4 da damgz" or give me a more effective suggestion like "You could try tossing a few bags toward the enemy to increase the damage of the EMP."

But, nevermind.

squeek.
09-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Here's a legitimate one.

Using the railgun as an engi:

Charge it when you don't see anyone. Overcharge if you don't see anyone the whole time you are charging and need cells (I don't usually overcharge and instead choose to shoot a blind bounce at a high-traffic location). Once you see someone, try to get a bounce shot on them (either using the floor right infront of them, the roof [hard shot to hit], or a wall). Immediately after shooting your railgun, switch to your shotgun and DM them. This way, you don't lose effectiveness if you miss your railgun because it is almost as if you were just shooting with your shotgun the whole time you saw them.

So, as a general rule, use your railgun as an opening shot, then switch to your shotgun. This doesn't have to be followed strictly (you can go for more than 1 railgun shot per person, or go for a railgun any time you feel like it [best if the O isn't going after you specifically]), but it is a good idea.

Oh, also, use a series of uncharged shots (or a charged bounce) for static targets at a long range (like someone building, setting a detpack, nailgunning a buildable [risky if it's your buildable], etc).

Another thing of note: A single-bounce shot kills a scout/engi/sniper in one hit. A double-bounce I believe will kill a medic.

Raynian
09-15-2009, 10:25 AM
Engi:

When building a gun near spawn or a 200-cell ammo bag, drop three bags of your own while building. Restock, upgrade, then pick up the dropped bags and hit your gun again. You'll have a level 3 gun up in a very short time.

Credge
09-15-2009, 12:56 PM
Playing forward defensive soldier:

The primary role of the forward defensive soldier is to give the rest of his defense incomings. A typical example of this would be to play at the entrance of the T on monkey, directly next to where a spawn bag is.

In this position, you can call the majority of speedy calls. You can see both the left and right side and can call ramp, water, or T if they get past you. Very few people take the full water route as it is a very, very long route and the rest of your defense can easily handle people coming from that direction due to how long it can take.

The secondary role of the forward defensive soldier is to damage and kill people that he sees. The shotgun is a popular opener. Also, firing a rocket or two in the direction the enemy will be heading can result favorably.

Typically speaking you'll have health and ammo in these positions as most maps where a position like this is viable will have a bag for you to use. Of course, you can play in this manner on all maps. On 2fort you could play right in front of the primary spawn (the one without the fall) and give your team incomings while damaging those who take the battlement route.

Something to note: Kills aren't that common, however, with some practice you can generally end up half way up your teams score board. Playing in this way can be taxing, especially when you don't know a map very well, however, even casual calling can be a huge help to your team. Damaging those you are able to call is an even bigger help!

In fact, simply saying "enemy incoming" can help your team prepare, although it's often best to give a direction.

Note: Try not to use directions like left and right as your left might not be the same as the left in the flag room. Instead, give areas of the map a name. Using monkey as an example, you have three possible ways the enemy can come: ramp, T, and water.

The ramp is called the ramp because it is a ramp. Although the water entrance has a ramp leading to it, it is called the water route because it is a distinct part of that entrance. T is called T because that is what the geometry looks like.

Further notes: A heavy can be substituted on some maps for a soldier, as well as a pyro, however the solly is generally the best class for it. Rarely do engineers play this role, but it can be useful in smaller games.

gibz
09-15-2009, 02:55 PM
Since this is for beginners, I thought I might add some stuff.

Scout: Go for the flag. Don't bother with DMing unless you are seriously out of concs and can get a sentry around a corner or out of its range.

Medic: Toss your medpacks in key locations inside the enemy base, such as T's and ramps and the flag rooms.

teh_rape
09-16-2009, 03:10 PM
For offense - Be unpredictable. i'm too tired right now to say much more. I might when I actually wake up.

rezz0r
09-16-2009, 06:06 PM
I might have an idea how people could get Fortress Forever without paying anything for a Source game. This could help us find more players, but I'm still working on it.

EDIT: no 3rd program shit don't worry.

gibz
09-17-2009, 11:16 AM
How to get a mod for free.
Sweet!

wakka
11-01-2009, 01:18 AM
Once 2.4 comes out, I will make an avi that amounts to the same purpose. It will be supercool and render your pdf useless.

good luck though

MonoXideAtWork
11-01-2009, 04:38 AM
As an engineer, if you have 200 cells and no sg or dispenser, build a dispenser first.

After you build a dispenser, you can touch it to be given enough cells to build a sg.

wakka
11-01-2009, 12:28 PM
fuck off

GenghisTron
11-01-2009, 04:04 PM
I've also found (This probably won't be the same for everyone) that the best crosshairs to use for virtually every weapon is the tiny 'x' shape. It allows for better conc aim, and in general better allows me to position any type of projectile.

rezz0r
11-08-2009, 09:03 PM
How to get a mod for free.
Sweet!

Apparently you do not get Source SDK Base with promotion games such as HalfLife2:Deathmatch (with nvidia card)....

too bad. Haven't really tested it yet.

reaper18
11-11-2009, 10:12 AM
I can't game right now because of some stupid fucking Vista errors with my display drivers. So, I am working on a huge beginner guide to Fortress Forever.....

It isn't about making guides.

Gr3mLin
11-14-2009, 03:36 PM
Medic : try and get a plan of what you're going to do in your head before hand. If you're going to attack water on monkey, go for it...If the T soldier see's you go back, or scatter your attack so you're not toally predictable.

Get the sg down first. You're the medic, your scouts aren't going to do alot vs 3 fr defence on monkey for example. Get the sg down, then worry about the demo.

Give comms for sg posistions, if you didn't get it down at least let someone know where it is for their run at it.

Don't be a dm whore, if you're good at dming fair enough but if theres an availible gap to go through and the soldiers on 30 hp just go... don't kill him, you'll be passed and leave the soldier on 30 hp for someone on the next run rather than you killing him and the next guy to run into a 100 hp soldier.

Be unpredictable, learn different ways to attack on each map. You can edge the flag out inch by inch using concs or completely obliterate the fr. Find a style that best suits your "skills"

Learn something else other than scout, yes you may be a leet scout but scout is too fucking easy in this game, being good at scout in FF isn't saying alot. If your 3 other medics aren't getting the sg down enough for you to scout then go medic. So learn how to be flexible.

Soldier :
This really depends on whether you want to be a FL/BL soldier.
I'll use monkey T for example: You can play this posistion in two ways.

Defensively : Hang back in the T you'll keep offy out of the fr from T for longer, but you'll be missing comms to water/lower

Offensively : I prefer this way, you can give comms to water and lower which in turns helps out your fr def alot. Also you can be suprising to offence on your posistion. Hide just before the ramp on fd stay still and listen to bhop sounds and pre shoot.

One of the biggest problems I've seen with almost every soldier in this game is they exhaust all of their rockets and then fire a shotgun. Big no no, for any decent medic if you're just shooting rockets first it's very easy to predict your rpgs and move accordingly, switch it up, fire a rocket then a shotgun or two then back to rpg.

Try and time your resupplys, look at the death scrolls when 3 players are down resupply this means only a possibility of one person can get through where as if you resupply at any given time you may have 3 in without a call.

Backline : I'll use sd2 fr for an example. You've got to play really smart in the fr, you don't want to get drawn down into needless dm. Hang back fire maybe 1/2 shots down into the fr to tempt the medic into thinking you're dming him, then retreat into the actual fr to escape his nade, he's just wasted a nade on nothing. Now go out and dm him. This applys to all maps really, you want to get medics to waste their nades so use the enviroment provided. On maps like 2fort bsp perhaps stay at the very bsp for a few of the medics runs then go up onto the first curve for a few... so he primes his nades late/early. Backline is all about keeping your health, the more unpredictable you can be, the more health you're going to keep.

For the most part soldier is just keeping a level head and knowing what to do when, if you've let 3 in fall back. Just use your noggin'

Hope this helps.

slamdunk
11-15-2009, 12:07 PM
gr3mlin u have to write a book mate :p

treateD
11-15-2009, 12:20 PM
Medic : try and get a plan of what you're going to do in your head before hand. If you're going to attack water on monkey, go for it...If the T soldier see's you go back, or scatter your attack so you're not toally predictable.

Get the sg down first. You're the medic, your scouts aren't going to do alot vs 3 fr defence on monkey for example. Get the sg down, then worry about the demo.

Give comms for sg posistions, if you didn't get it down at least let someone know where it is for their run at it.

Don't be a dm whore, if you're good at dming fair enough but if theres an availible gap to go through and the soldiers on 30 hp just go... don't kill him, you'll be passed and leave the soldier on 30 hp for someone on the next run rather than you killing him and the next guy to run into a 100 hp soldier.

Be unpredictable, learn different ways to attack on each map. You can edge the flag out inch by inch using concs or completely obliterate the fr. Find a style that best suits your "skills"

Learn something else other than scout, yes you may be a leet scout but scout is too fucking easy in this game, being good at scout in FF isn't saying alot. If your 3 other medics aren't getting the sg down enough for you to scout then go medic. So learn how to be flexible.

Soldier :
This really depends on whether you want to be a FL/BL soldier.
I'll use monkey T for example: You can play this posistion in two ways.

Defensively : Hang back in the T you'll keep offy out of the fr from T for longer, but you'll be missing comms to water/lower

Offensively : I prefer this way, you can give comms to water and lower which in turns helps out your fr def alot. Also you can be suprising to offence on your posistion. Hide just before the ramp on fd stay still and listen to bhop sounds and pre shoot.

One of the biggest problems I've seen with almost every soldier in this game is they exhaust all of their rockets and then fire a shotgun. Big no no, for any decent medic if you're just shooting rockets first it's very easy to predict your rpgs and move accordingly, switch it up, fire a rocket then a shotgun or two then back to rpg.

Try and time your resupplys, look at the death scrolls when 3 players are down resupply this means only a possibility of one person can get through where as if you resupply at any given time you may have 3 in without a call.

Backline : I'll use sd2 fr for an example. You've got to play really smart in the fr, you don't want to get drawn down into needless dm. Hang back fire maybe 1/2 shots down into the fr to tempt the medic into thinking you're dming him, then retreat into the actual fr to escape his nade, he's just wasted a nade on nothing. Now go out and dm him. This applys to all maps really, you want to get medics to waste their nades so use the enviroment provided. On maps like 2fort bsp perhaps stay at the very bsp for a few of the medics runs then go up onto the first curve for a few... so he primes his nades late/early. Backline is all about keeping your health, the more unpredictable you can be, the more health you're going to keep.

For the most part soldier is just keeping a level head and knowing what to do when, if you've let 3 in fall back. Just use your noggin'

Hope this helps.

quit revealing my tricks

cjeshjoir™
11-15-2009, 09:34 PM
The best advice you can give any newbie is, "calm down, damnit!" Once you are able to control your mind and body, you can control your opponent.

Zen, baby.