PDA

View Full Version : Working with displacements

o_yohan1973
05-27-2005, 05:56 PM
Hello all, I'm currently working on an outdoor level for FF and I'm needing to make some cliffs. I've already checked out the tuts, they were a lot of help but I'm still curious about a few things. The cliffs in question follow a very specific curvature. I'm wondering if it's best to rough it out of multiple brushes or just to use a single long brush and try to raise it along that path? I'm asking this question because I'm having a difficult time sewing my displacements and getting something realistic as a result.
Thanks

mervaka
05-27-2005, 06:01 PM
id keep them sliced up, and use displacements for the minor details

o_yohan1973
05-27-2005, 07:08 PM
id keep them sliced up, and use displacements for the minor details

Really????
So you wouldn't do the entire cliff out of displacement? You would actually build some of your terrian out of brushes the way it was done back in HL1....Hmmmm

I guess since I'm having a difficult time with the displacements not looking real that IS an option.

Thanks

o_docwolfe
05-28-2005, 07:55 AM
with displacements you'd get a much better result and lower fps because they are very vis friendly.

For displacements you want to make sure you use a square brush, the two faces you are trying to sew together need to be equal lengths... the most effective way to do this is instead of using one big recatagular brush use lots of small square brushes 128x128 should be ok for outdoor, and a displacement frequency of 2 should be enough.

Defrag
05-28-2005, 11:00 AM
Look at some of the valve maps included with the mapping SDK.

o_yohan1973
05-31-2005, 03:41 PM
Well, I got all of my displacements worked out. I did take a look at the valve stuff. it help alot. I ended up reworking my own stuff after looking at that coast map. Now I have to just settle on some textures for my buildings. I'll post screens after that...