PDA

View Full Version : OpenGL issues.

SizeableSSonic
08-08-2008, 12:43 PM
Alright, here's the deal. The reason my Graphics card was going sorta wonky in the first place is that we weren't using the special VGA cord from my PSU. After getting an adapter to use it with my cards power connectors, I can play any DirectX game perfectly fine- TF2 runs fine on Max settings. Any OpenGL applications just simply don't work, however-I often get black flashing screens ad such. So it appears I have an issue with OpenGL. I really have no clue what's causing this, anybody have suggestions?

Specs:
Amd Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Dual core ~ 2.4 GHZ per core
BFG Tech Geforce 9600 GT OC-Overclocked to 675 mhz
2 Gigs Ram
Asus M2N MX SE Plus
Originaly 450 Watt PSU, now a 500w Antec.

leilei
08-08-2008, 01:21 PM
sounds like a crap driver

Mooga
08-09-2008, 12:08 AM
I've heard bad things about OC'ing video cards...
Try down-clocking it, see if it works?

SizeableSSonic
08-09-2008, 12:51 PM
Tried already, same results. It came OCed.

Mooga
08-09-2008, 03:36 PM
It came OCed.
Aahhh.

Then I'm guessing driver issues. uninstalled all video drivers and then install the ones you need.

SizeableSSonic
08-09-2008, 04:46 PM
We're gonna put in a bigger PSU, then see from there what we're gonna do.

SizeableSSonic
08-17-2008, 10:30 PM
Sorry to bump, but we installed a new PSU. At first I assumed it was 600w, I later realized it was only 500w. Still the same problem. So, I uninstalled the driver, booted up into safe mode, and ran cab cleaner and Driver Cleaner pro. Upon examining the results, I saw that there were indeed leftover elements of ATi's drivers that had been cleared, so I figured I may have fixed it. Installed the same drivers again afterwards (apparently Nvidea says their still the newest ones, but other places have newer ones, I think. See below.) Still the same problem.

Now, I checked my drivers, and they are version 175.19 -the version Nvidea says is the newest. However, upon checking 3dGuru, they have downloads for GeForce Forceware version 177.89 on their site. I don't know if their beta drivers or not, and they only have one generic download, and nothing for specific cards, so I don't know if I should download those. Also, an auto-updater for my mobo keeps coming up, but whenever I run it, it always ends up having a problem and is forced to quit.

We took back the first 9600 GT and exchanged it for the same card, and now it's idle tempature is around 48`49 degrees Celsius. I originally installed the new card while the 450 watt PSU was still inside, and it was 49 degrees idle. After installing the 500w PSU, it still stayed at 49 degrees idle. So I don't know if power has anything to do with it anymore, but I noticed there was a second connector on the card, located near the fan, and appears to have 2 pin connectors. The card's manual makes no mention of it, only the 6 pin connector (which is connected.) There's currently nothing in the second one I found; is it to supply power to the fan? That would a lot.

SomeOldGuy
08-19-2008, 01:04 PM
The 2 pin connector is likely for audio-in. Nvidia (unlike ATI) does not do audio on the card for output to hdmi when doing HD stuff, so this input is used for for that. There is a special SP/DIF audio jumper cable that goes in there.. some vid cards come with it and some don't.