PDA

View Full Version : 32bit to 64bit migration

Mooga
08-01-2008, 11:49 AM
As I've mentioned, tonight I plan on putting together my new computer. I'm putting on 64bit XP. Is there anything I should worry about when Migrating over to a 64bit Operating System? Mainly is there any software that wont run if its 32 bit?

Thanks.

I'm also assuming that I should be able to find XP drivers for all my components. If not... it's Kubuntu with Wine or Vista Business...

Ihmhi
08-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Stay the Hell away from Vista.

I hope saying it three times hammers it into your head.

So far my googlin' only brings up possible issues as stuff like lack of drivers... but as long as XP 64 has been out damn near everythin' has to have a driver by now.

Innoc
08-01-2008, 07:57 PM

So far my googlin' only brings up possible issues as stuff like lack of drivers... but as long as XP 64 has been out damn near everythin' has to have a driver by now.
I'd go Vista 64 well before XP. The support for Vista will be much more consistent moving forward. Honestly, of the last dozen or so devices for which I've sought drivers in the past 6 months I cannot recall seeing XP 64 as an option for a single one. Perhaps there are some out there but they're nowhere near as prevalent as XP 32 or Vista.

leilei
08-01-2008, 08:15 PM
When I was on XP 64 it wasn't bad. Didn't have a driver for my Geforce2 though.

The lack of gametap and other stupidly picky 32-bit only new games (Yes, even in 2008 ) will refuse to run on 64bit anyway
plus you'll lose ntvdm which means say goodbye to the (crappy) 16-bit app/game support.

mervaka
08-01-2008, 11:00 PM
what? noooooo
that means no more discworld gaming? :/

Damascus
08-02-2008, 12:06 AM

Why stay away from Vista if XP is going to stop becoming supported... in the future, I guess.

As of right now, XP>Vista. Later, XP>Vista. WAAAAY later, Vista>XP.

I prefer to think ahead.

mervaka
08-10-2008, 11:54 AM
what about the demise of windows? what about the next coming of the messiah? (unix platforms)

Plasmon
08-11-2008, 04:50 AM
Keep in mind that with Linux you would end up with a lack of 64-bit software like flash player though there is a work-around. Some hardware manufacturers like Broadcom have released linux drivers for only a few or none of their models.

leilei
08-12-2008, 05:31 AM
Yeah well no corporate crap is going to limit my system and the future