PDA

View Full Version : One review of the new Nvidia GTX 260 and GTX 280

SomeOldGuy
06-16-2008, 04:41 PM
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2320089,00.asp

I'm very curious as to how the new ATI offerings will compare.

Sh4x
06-19-2008, 09:11 PM
It seems computers aren't getting faster enough these days. The new cards aren't blowing everything out of the water at all. They're just faster by a margin, but not that much. I was expecting things to go faster by now honestly. I mean, if you pay that much for a card, it should be able to play anything maxed out when released. 80 fps isn't enough cause we all know when there's action on the screen it drops way lower than that. I hope the cards can catch up with the games sometimes not too far away.

I dunno, it's like I'm getting older and older, and the new tech doesn't come out fast enough lol... I wanted to see virtual reality but I guess I'm born too soon :(

Backstaber
06-26-2008, 05:55 AM
Well, I'm not one of conspiracy theories or anything. But the reason I think they aren't blowing anything out of the water is because they don't want to make giant leaps and bounds as they wouldn't make as much money. Now with the marginal development, people go out and buy the latest and fastest at the moment, and then they release something better, and people do the same thing again. Cause we all know that they want to make as much money as they can.

Then again I could be totally wrong.

reaper18
06-26-2008, 06:10 AM
Well, I'm not one of conspiracy theories or anything. But the reason I think they aren't blowing anything out of the water is because they don't want to make giant leaps and bounds as they wouldn't make as much money. Now with the marginal development, people go out and buy the latest and fastest at the moment, and then they release something better, and people do the same thing again. Cause we all know that they want to make as much money as they can.

Then again I could be totally wrong.
Or right on, i agree.
Just like the medicinal field.

KubeDawg
06-26-2008, 07:08 PM
It seems computers aren't getting faster enough these days. The new cards aren't blowing everything out of the water at all. They're just faster by a margin, but not that much. I was expecting things to go faster by now honestly. I mean, if you pay that much for a card, it should be able to play anything maxed out when released. 80 fps isn't enough cause we all know when there's action on the screen it drops way lower than that. I hope the cards can catch up with the games sometimes not too far away.

I dunno, it's like I'm getting older and older, and the new tech doesn't come out fast enough lol... I wanted to see virtual reality but I guess I'm born too soon :(

Compiuters are getting substantially faster. It just seems as if they haven't been. Newer and more robust applications are now able to be run on newer machines, taking up more space, bogging down the system more, etc. Generally, when new hw comes out, new software follows quickly.

They say every 2 years, technology doubles in power/speed. So by that measure, in 20 years, computers as we know them now will be over a million times better than they are now.

Sh4x
06-29-2008, 09:43 PM
It really seems they are holding the technology back and that pisses me off a little.

zSilver_Fox
06-29-2008, 10:06 PM
It really seems they are holding the technology back and that pisses me off a little.
ATI is beginning to steal some of the gaming market, and there is very little money in performance cards. Most of their video card profit is from mid and low end cards.

Sh4x
06-30-2008, 12:15 AM
Who would pay for a 700$ video card anyways...

I did. But never again lol...

Dospac
07-06-2008, 10:14 PM
These cards are a waste of money.

Agent Buckshot Moose
07-07-2008, 03:03 PM
There's only so far you can take hardware. Hardware right now is reaching a point where they can't really add more transistors and crap to make them straight-up faster. Too many heat and cost problems. That's why instead of making actual processors faster, CPUs are going the multicore route. From what I hear though, research is being done on diamond-based circuitboards instead of silicon so the hardware will be able to go beyond the physical limitations being approached now.

v3rtigo
07-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Either way I'm waiting for a card that pwns these in SLI