PDA

View Full Version : network/interwebz help please.

Skanky Butterpuss
06-08-2008, 08:22 AM
ok so heres the deal. i have my ps3 and PC hooked up through a router (linksys WRT54G). ive had to go through a bit of BS getting my ps3 to function properly with the internet, but i finally got it (gave it its own IP and DMZ). only problem i was having was the playstation network and AIM randomly disconnecting every now and then, and on top of the random times, almost 100% of the time when i turned my ps3 on, AIM would disconnect. but that was a minor problem so i figured i could just live with it.

well i just came home from work and found a major problem that i cant live with. my PC displays "limited or no connectivity" to the LAN and wont connect to the internet. i tried turning off and resetting the router, modem, and PC but it still says the same thing. when i try to repair the connection with windows, it says it cant renew the IP. wont let me log into the router itself either (using the IP in the address bar). Wireless doesnt connect either. worse yet, i tried hooking the computer directly to the modem, and the same shit happened. so my PC has absolutely no way of accessing the internet. strange thing is, my ps3 is working just fine (thats what im using to make this thread).

i cant imagine that it has to do with the changes i made to the router, because 1. it worked fine last night and this morning, when i made the changes and 2. even without the router, the comp cant connect to the net. i thought maybe my network card was fucked, but the network card and wireless card are separate, and it would be quite a coincidence for them both to go out at the same time.

so uhh... what can i do? how do i find out first of all what the problem is, and then how do i fix it?

EDIT: ok well that was easy, just logged into my router via ps3 and turned DHCP back on (i read its best to turn it off to get the ps3 working). so now another question, how do i turn dhcp off while still letting my pc connect to the net?

Innoc
06-08-2008, 07:24 PM
Have you considered a "Tomato" firmware hack for your router? I believe that model is supported... I've dealt with a ton of various G routers that are flakey at times. DHCP issues both internally and not resetting the connection properly when then DSL/Cable connection glitches....flakiness in the packet scheduler...

Tomato (http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato)

Ihmhi
06-08-2008, 07:35 PM
The WRT54G is a prolific piece of shit with nothing but problems.

That said, Linksys customer support is generally very good compared to others. ++ to them for actually being able to understand Habib- I mean, "Jim", when I'm getting a walkthrough on what to do.

Skanky Butterpuss
06-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Have you considered a "Tomato" firmware hack for your router? I believe that model is supported... I've dealt with a ton of various G routers that are flakey at times. DHCP issues both internally and not resetting the connection properly when then DSL/Cable connection glitches....flakiness in the packet scheduler...

Tomato (http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato)

damn, that looks like it would be really useful, but they only support up to v4. (my router is v6 :()

Circuitous
06-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Why would you need DHCP off for the PS3 to work?

Does the PS3 do its own DHCP thing? It's sort of important.

Skanky Butterpuss
06-09-2008, 10:14 PM
well the way i have it set now, i dont think i do need dhcp off. i had to set a static ip for the ps3, and open it up with a DMZ and it seems to be workin well now. only problem i still have is randomly signing out of AIM and PSN. its something i can tolerate though if need be, but i still dont know why the hell it happens.

Circuitous
06-09-2008, 10:23 PM
According to the LinkSys forums, turning off UPnP in the router might help.

Here's your (oddly specific) thread. (http://forums.linksys.com/linksys/board/message?board.id=Wireless_Routers&thread.id=51764&view=by_date_ascending&page=1)

Skanky Butterpuss
06-09-2008, 10:25 PM
ty circ, ill read that when i get home.

ur much mor gudder @ teh webz then me lol