PDA

View Full Version : iPod won't connect to computer.

SizeableSSonic
05-11-2008, 05:31 PM
Alright, after I got the new computer running, I tried to connect the iPod, and it said it needed to be updated. So I try to do it and it wouldn't. So I disconnect the ipod, do whatever to fix the error code (I had to run a bat file that registered some .dlls).

Now, My iPod (Which is a classic) won't even be recognized by iTunes, and it makes a weird clicking sound inside. It gives me an image with a big Red X with a red circle around it, and tells me to go to Apples iPod support page. I try to go into disk mode (which is what it says to do when I get this) but it won't let me. No Matter how long I hold the select button and the play button on the click wheel, it won't go into disk mode, and just ends up giving me the same picture.

One other note: it says on Apples site that the Apple logo should come up after holding the Select and Menu Switch for six seconds, and to only do that after toggling the hold switch off and on again. But pressing on the iPod brings up the apple logo... so that confuses me.

Does anyone know what to do? I really, really don't feel like sending it in for repairs. Thanks in advance.

Innoc
05-13-2008, 06:17 AM
It seems to me that most of the time it's not worth the money to repair them. By the time they fail the newer ones are out with a larger capacity for a little more than the cost of repair.

If you can't get it to take a hard reset then I wonder if the drive is failed...

Skanky Butterpuss
05-13-2008, 06:15 PM
yeah the clicking sound makes me think that maybe the drive is dead/dying.

SizeableSSonic
05-13-2008, 06:52 PM
I got it this past Christmas, so it's still under warranty. I'll probably call Apple today/tommorow and see what I have to do.