PDA

View Full Version : Windows update kill video drivers: FIXED!

Mooga
04-11-2008, 01:11 AM
windows keeps asking to install the new .net 2.0 sp1 even after I've installed it 300 times. Of course I'm also now getting an error with MOM.exe crashing on boot (ATI Drivers).

Any idea? I just did a re-install a week ago :(

EDIT: FIXED!
Control Panel --> Add or Remove Programs
Find Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 and hit Change/Remove
Hit repair.
It will pop up a windows about problems with SP1, click ok.
The repair will crash.
Run the repair again and it should work.
Re-start your system.

My video drives now boot without a problem.
I can't get SP1 working yet. But .NET 2.0 without SP1 is better then no .NET (Since .NET 2.0 is needed for ATI Drivers).

Innoc
04-11-2008, 02:46 AM
Wow, you too? Mine's been BSOD'ing and the minidumps are suggesting a video issue....freakin MS.... :rolleyes:

Ihmhi
04-11-2008, 04:05 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again... don't install Vista...

Odds are they are gonna abandon it fairly quickly and get Windows 7 out the door. Vista is the new Windows ME.

Innoc
04-11-2008, 04:25 AM
I'm running XP Pro on a laptop with a Radeon 345P IGP...not Vista. This is a 5 year old laptop.

Mooga
04-11-2008, 04:43 AM
Windows XP Pro SP2.
The update for .net 2.0 SP1 keeps thinking it needs to be installed but I've already "installed" it a good 5 to 10 times.

Game are playable, but I can't tweak video card settings.

What I have yet to try:
-reinstall .net
-manually download .net 2.0 SP1 and install it

s0undch4s3r
04-11-2008, 12:49 PM
Perhaps your antivirus and/or security software is the culprit?

Mooga
04-11-2008, 07:19 PM
for not letting the update install?
Turning off avast and trying to update now...

EDIT: A min later windows pops up that the update is ready again.
I'm blaming windows for this one.

EDIT: Trying a manual .net 2.0 SP1 install now...

EDIT: Error, trying to re-install .net 2.0 now...

EDIT: Going to try a .net 2.0 repair first...

EDIT: First repair crashed, second repair worked and installing .NET 2.0 SP1 now

EDIT: SP1 stalls at the end.

Mooga
04-11-2008, 08:43 PM
FIXED!
Hit repair.
The repair will crash.
Re-start your system.

My video drives now boot without a problem.
I can't get SP1 working yet. But .NET 2.0 without SP1 is better then no .NET (Since .NET 2.0 is needed for ATI Drivers).

Innoc
04-11-2008, 10:39 PM
I think I fixed mine as well though why it would trigger video to be implicated in the minidump is odd... Mine appears to be the AT&T crapware "Self Support Tool" I installed to placate the script-reading 1st eschelon support guys in India to demonstrate that they had a server side issue with my email account...uninstalled and life is good again!

פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
04-14-2008, 11:23 AM
Vista is the new Windows ME.

No it's not...

ME was still worse...

Innoc
04-14-2008, 04:11 PM
No it's not...

ME was still worse...
Agreed.

I found an unrelated issue with a P35 chipset board...the IDE port on the board....does not support atapi drives. I guess I overlooked that one. As Vista doesn't handle stalled hardware gracefully...it BSOD's when the drive halts.

Yeah....sata DVD drive on order...

פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
04-14-2008, 08:19 PM
Agreed.

I found an unrelated issue with a P35 chipset board...the IDE port on the board....does not support atapi drives. I guess I overlooked that one. As Vista doesn't handle stalled hardware gracefully...it BSOD's when the drive halts.

Yeah....sata DVD drive on order...

WOAW, that is...DAMN microsoft...DAMN!

Innoc
04-14-2008, 08:32 PM
WOAW, that is...DAMN microsoft...DAMN!
Yeah it is. Can you not see that there is a problem with Vista's handling of stalled hardware? A stalled optical drive should not BSOD the OS...you can see that can't you?

Mooga
04-15-2008, 04:36 PM
The problem is that XP is getting old
installing XP on modern hardware is hard because windows install disks hate sata drivers. I spent 2 hours trying to install and finally had to use a floppy drive to boot the drivers from... Slip steaming didn't work...

GambiT
04-15-2008, 04:40 PM
vista isnt that bad...

Innoc
04-15-2008, 05:49 PM
The problem is that XP is getting old
installing XP on modern hardware is hard because windows install disks hate sata drivers. I spent 2 hours trying to install and finally had to use a floppy drive to boot the drivers from... Slip steaming didn't work...
That use of a FDD for drivers isn't new. I've been doing that on builds since the early days of NT. Honestly, I think XP is a sound and mature Operating System. If what the rumor mill seems to believe is accurate Vista may never survive to maturity with it's replacement in the wings. One more thing that gives that ME appearance to Vista.

Damascus
04-16-2008, 02:47 AM
"Hello, I'm a Mac..."
"...and I'm a PC."

Mooga
04-16-2008, 04:20 AM
"Hello, I'm a Mac..."
"...and I'm a PC."
"and all your base are belong to us"

Etzell
04-16-2008, 05:07 AM
"Hello, I'm a Mac..."
"...and I'm a PC."
Yeah, but those commercials suck because the Mac guy is a cunt and the PC guy is amusing.

Circuitous
04-16-2008, 05:53 PM
Yeah, but those commercials suck because the Mac guy is a cunt and the PC guy is amusing.

Notice which one got a job on the Daily Show.

Etzell
04-16-2008, 07:18 PM
He had that job before the Mac ads.

Circuitous
04-16-2008, 07:30 PM
My point remains.

Unfunny but hip Mac guy remains unfunny.

Credge
04-16-2008, 10:28 PM
My point remains.

Unfunny but hip Mac guy remains unfunny.

BUT LOOK WHO WAS IN LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD!

Circuitous
04-16-2008, 10:43 PM
GASP.

WORLDVIEW: ROCKED.

Ihmhi
04-17-2008, 01:47 AM
EDIT: FIXED!
Hit repair.
The repair will crash.
Re-start your system.

Yes, any operating system that has "It will crash, but don't worry about it - just keep pressing onward!" is sure to be a success.

No it's not...

ME was still worse...

I ran ME for a couple of years. I couldn't run XP because my computer was shit.

I actually would have preferred 98, but I couldn't run my 40gig on 98 because of the hard-coded hard drive upper limit (someting like 20gigs).

For all the troubles with BSoD and stuff, everything in ME worked for... me. Vista has been out for almost a year and it is still having driver problems. Companies like Creative are threatening people who are fixing the company's fuckups.

Vista is a flat-out disaster and it's going to be dumped out into the street as quickly as they can code Windows 7 and get promotions going.

I would wager that by the time Microsoft stops supporting Windows XP, the launch date for Windows 7 will be announced (if it hasn't been already).

He was a douche in that movie and he's a douche in the commercials.

I notice they never do any commercials on the subject of games...

Etzell
04-17-2008, 02:43 AM
AND LOOK WHAT MOVIE SUCKED!

Innoc
04-17-2008, 03:47 AM
Yes, any operating system that has "It will crash, but don't worry about it - just keep pressing onward!" is sure to be a success.

I ran ME for a couple of years. I couldn't run XP because my computer was shit.

I actually would have preferred 98, but I couldn't run my 40gig on 98 because of the hard-coded hard drive upper limit (someting like 20gigs).

As someone who's spent a VERY long time working with Win98 builds I can tell you that the initial release of Win98 was had an FDISK bug that limited you to 64GB in a single partition. I believe it was Win98SE that had that fixed and you then bumped up against the 28-bit addressing issue which limited you to 137 GB. Could you be referring to a limit from your BIOS? There were hardware limitations that kicked in at 8.4 GB and 32 GB...and those were all BIOS issues.

Ihmhi
04-18-2008, 08:52 AM
I had an OEM version of Windows 98. Not SE, 98.

It couldn't have been a hardware limitation, because Windows 98 would not detect the HD, but Windows ME would. The BIOS always detected it.