PDA

View Full Version : GTA4 : Everyone's a Rat.

Suite307
03-28-2008, 12:04 AM
http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/18162
This video is pretty amazing.

Circuitous
03-28-2008, 12:26 AM
Agreed.

Credge
03-28-2008, 01:11 AM
:|

The texturing done on the people is terrible. The world and vehicles look great, but everything else is less more than sub par.

Suite307
03-28-2008, 01:44 AM
:|

The texturing done on the people is terrible. The world and vehicles look great, but everything else is less more than sub par.

Atleast it won't render shit every 5 steps like Oblivion.

Credge
03-28-2008, 02:08 AM
Atleast it won't render shit every 5 steps like Oblivion.

Oblivion also had terrible character models and textures :(.

Circuitous
03-28-2008, 02:30 AM
Thank God for mods.

Mods are our way at getting back at you console bastards for dictating how the UI should look.

1280x1024 and only five items visible in inventory, fuck you Bethsoft.

Everything
03-28-2008, 02:51 AM
Resurrect command for Oblivion can bring great things.

Oblivion also had terrible character models and textures :(.

I know, they all had the same head shape, and hair design too, a bit.

Suite307
03-28-2008, 03:28 AM
Resurrect command for Oblivion can bring great things.

I know, they all had the same head shape, and hair design too, a bit.
The haircuts were all horrible, they didn't look any different than Morrowind's

Jiggles
03-31-2008, 07:12 PM
I keep wanting to like the GTAs. And I do, for about an hour and a half -- then I lose interest :(

"Sandbox" games are generally fun, but they usually get old rapidly.

Ihmhi
03-31-2008, 09:59 PM
San Andreas was the most fun for me. Once I had access to the fighter jet... well, I did some Indepdence Day shit up in the canyons.

And I'll tell you, it's hard to weave it through the bridge supports but when you can, oh man that's fun.

I'm a little pissed that they took planes outta GTA4. >:

Suite307
03-31-2008, 10:47 PM
They made the game a bit more serious, it's not like a russian mafia guy knows how to pilot a plane or a jet.

Desyphur
04-01-2008, 04:17 AM
They made the game a bit more serious, it's not like a russian mafia guy knows how to pilot a plane or a jet.

You get taught how to before you fly it. So it makes sense.

Nezumi
04-01-2008, 11:07 AM
Plus GTA4 has MULTIPLAYER!!

YAAAAY!!

Including free roam mode where you all get to screw around!!

YAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!

פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
04-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Yummy.

Circuitous
04-26-2008, 01:07 AM
Fabulous review from IGN.

First game to get a 10 since Soul Calibur in 1999.

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/869/869381p1.html

uBeR
04-26-2008, 01:09 AM
overrated.

Circuitous
04-26-2008, 01:20 AM
You played it?

uBeR
04-26-2008, 01:24 AM
Just like every other GTA.

Circuitous
04-26-2008, 01:29 AM
Ah.

tu!
04-26-2008, 03:07 AM
loooks good, too bad not out for pc.

Ihmhi
04-26-2008, 05:18 AM
loooks good, too bad not out for pc yet.

Fixed.

Holy fucking shit.

Before this game, I never - NEVER - had a good enough reason to get a Live membership. Now I do.

One of the things I liked about San Andreas - if you had the right car, there was some great places to go drifting. Shitty thing? Traffic. 24/7 the traffic was the same, and some of the best places to race were hell.

Racetracks, though... I remember going to the airport and just driving for hours with one of the souped-up cars, trying to get it to just fucking slide already. I hope the newer physics in this game will let that happen. (:<

Also, lol@ the Gun Club advert. The writers still got it.

Lime Pirate
04-26-2008, 05:49 AM
Shame on whoever it was who said GTA4 is Over rated.

Lets look at this in the bigger picture for a moment. All bias' aside, lets look at the game from the industry standpoint. This game is groundbreaking, and about to rock the gaming world, just like GTA3 did.

GTA3 was all about being able to free roam in a city. Rockstar did a great job at that. Many people played the game or hours upon hours on end, like it or not, In terms of sales and general reviews, The free roam formula worked and set standards for any other sandbox game available today.

Lets come back to present day, with the impending launch of GTA4. This time around they were going for detail in just about everything about the game. This is no easy feat considering that it takes place in a city modeled after New York. And from first glance guys, ive been to the city PLENTY of times, they got the look right. the city itself looks like its been lived in for decades, and around every corner you find more and more details to enhance this illusion. Rockstar pulled out all of the stops with all the other details, reading many of the reveiws and keeping a close eye on this game, Ive read that a single pack of civilian models can populate a good few blocks of the city without even seeing one repeated model. That alone is impressive.

The visuals in this game granted are not something like Gears of war or unreal tournament 3. But take into consideration the amount of content between GTA4 and gears of war. In Gears of war you may have one street of a ruined city with a few cars scattered about, and maybe 8 really high poly characters on screen. In grand theft auto you see a very large city scene filled with plenty of cars and people, and PLENTY of detail all between. With the amount of detail packed into GTA4, its a wonder how they even compressed all that data down to a single disk, and it only suffers VERY MINOR hiccups when loading the upcoming city scapes in the backround (from what i hear).

As ive stated before in other threads, i am an aspiring modeller/animator for video games, going to an entertainment industry college. And i can tell you full well, that, like this game or not, Grand theft auto 4 is going to set the standard of videos games to come for quite a few years.

IGN gave it a 10/10 not because its 'perfect'. Nothing is, the label for the score doesnt say perfect, it sais 'Masterful'. And By Masterful they mean exactly what ive said in the last paragraph. I couldve went on and on about this, But my fingers are tiring now, time to go play more Super modded to all hell Oblivion.

In b4 any "arrr GTA fanboy", gtfo, and any potential flamewars.

Suite307
04-26-2008, 02:06 PM
Nah, GTA4 is the half-life of this year of gaming.

greenday5494
04-27-2008, 03:24 AM
who the hell would play GTA on PC?

GeoKill----->
04-27-2008, 05:17 AM
I want to when I get a dualshock for the pc

zSilver_Fox
04-27-2008, 05:41 AM
Shame on whoever it was who said GTA4 is Over rated.

Lets look at this in the bigger picture for a moment. All bias' aside, lets look at the game from the industry standpoint. This game is groundbreaking, and about to rock the gaming world, just like GTA3 did.
Yeah, it looks just like GTA3... all over again

GTA3 was all about being able to free roam in a city. Rockstar did a great job at that. Many people played the game or hours upon hours on end, like it or not, In terms of sales and general reviews, The free roam formula worked and set standards for any other sandbox game available today.
It also had terrible physics, controls, and gameplay. Halo sells great, but it also sucks.

Lets come back to present day, with the impending launch of GTA4. This time around they were going for detail in just about everything about the game. This is no easy feat considering that it takes place in a city modeled after New York. And from first glance guys, ive been to the city PLENTY of times, they got the look right. the city itself looks like its been lived in for decades, and around every corner you find more and more details to enhance this illusion. Rockstar pulled out all of the stops with all the other details, reading many of the reveiws and keeping a close eye on this game, Ive read that a single pack of civilian models can populate a good few blocks of the city without even seeing one repeated model. That alone is impressive.
Given that I'm sure a good amount of the devs came from cities, I'm sure they got that part right. The civies all looked similar.

The visuals in this game granted are not something like Gears of war or unreal tournament 3. But take into consideration the amount of content between GTA4 and gears of war. In Gears of war you may have one street of a ruined city with a few cars scattered about, and maybe 8 really high poly characters on screen. In grand theft auto you see a very large city scene filled with plenty of cars and people, and PLENTY of detail all between. With the amount of detail packed into GTA4, its a wonder how they even compressed all that data down to a single disk, and it only suffers VERY MINOR hiccups when loading the upcoming city scapes in the backround (from what i hear).
Rockstar has had shit-tastic graphics compared to every other console game post-Playstation, except maybe Manhunt (which still was in the mediocre area). Shitty games aren't made any better by mildly changed content or low load times.

As ive stated before in other threads, i am an aspiring modeller/animator for video games, going to an entertainment industry college. And i can tell you full well, that, like this game or not, Grand theft auto 4 is going to set the standard of videos games to come for quite a few years.
You're a college student who's learning how to use Maya, not a games market analyst.

IGN gave it a 10/10 not because its 'perfect'. Nothing is, the label for the score doesnt say perfect, it sais 'Masterful'. And By Masterful they mean exactly what ive said in the last paragraph. I couldve went on and on about this, But my fingers are tiring now, time to go play more Super modded to all hell Oblivion.
Halo 3 gets rave reviews from everywhere else, but still is total shit.

In b4 any "arrr GTA fanboy", gtfo, and any potential flamewars.
4chanfail

greenday5494
04-27-2008, 06:00 AM
i dont think halo is "shit". it's quite fun, but it much too overrated.

KubeDawg
04-27-2008, 08:52 AM
This GTA actually looks like it'd be fun to play. The ones before it were completely terrible.

פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
04-27-2008, 03:48 PM

I've played them all on pc and I don't hink I'm the only one.

I'm also anti-console... I just don't like controllers I guess.

Anshinritsumai
04-27-2008, 04:07 PM

Anyone sane.

I own GTA3, Vice City, & San Andreas (First Edition w00t) on PS2, but I borrowed GTA3 on PC from a friend and it's a million times better than the console version, hands down. I'd much rather take a GTA on PC these days.

zSilver_Fox
04-27-2008, 06:25 PM
Just about everything is better on a PC, excluding fighting and racing games. TMNF on the 360 or PS3 would be sex.

Circuitous
04-27-2008, 09:09 PM
I've played every Grand Theft Auto ever, this will be no exception.

Lime Pirate
04-27-2008, 09:23 PM
Funny how i never once mentioned any halo, and yet that was placed in the picture here.

Everything
04-27-2008, 09:51 PM

Those who play SA:MP (San Andreas Multi-Player)

:)

tu!
04-27-2008, 09:52 PM

didn't gta series started on pc?

Hica
04-27-2008, 11:22 PM
Those who play SA:MP (San Andreas Multi-Player)

:)

What's that like? I know there's a really awesome sounding multiplayer in GTA 4, but I wasn't aware of one for San Andreas.

Anshinritsumai
04-27-2008, 11:35 PM
What's that like? I know there's a really awesome sounding multiplayer in GTA 4, but I wasn't aware of one for San Andreas.

It was a third party mod like FF is... that's probably why you never heard of it =/

greenday5494
04-28-2008, 12:28 AM
didn't gta series started on pc?
no, it started on the first playstation, but the i think the orginal developer made PC games

Ihmhi
04-28-2008, 12:59 AM
I've played every Grand Theft Auto ever, this will be no exception.

Did you farm cash doing Vigilante Missions in the military chopper, too, or did you find a better way?

Circuitous
04-28-2008, 01:01 AM
You didn't need to farm cash in the first three - you got money just for blowing things up.

In the other two... I don't remember what I did. I think in San Andreas I gambled for the money, and in Vice City I had every business so that was pretty straightforward.

I did do Vigilante missions in the Hunter, though.

zSilver_Fox
04-28-2008, 02:58 AM
Funny how i never once mentioned any halo, and yet that was placed in the picture here.
Because it's also a mediocre game that recieves way too much attention and hype.

fireb0rn
04-28-2008, 03:46 AM

it's definitely not the first sandbox game if that's what you're trying to imply. it was certainly responsible for an emphasis on that sort of game structure in future console games... but personally, i don't really find that to be very significant. I haven't really found any nonlinear games that i've enjoyed on the console, whereas on the pc nonlinear style games have already done very well prior to gta.

greenday5494
04-28-2008, 04:15 AM
prior to GTA1? If they're that old i dont want to play them

Everything
04-28-2008, 02:58 PM
To those who play/played San Andreas and did Vigilante missions on the Hunter, or just flew the hunter to do rampages- I'm curious, do I just suck flying that thing, and need practice? The speed at turning (q and e) is just horrible.

Ihmhi
04-28-2008, 03:36 PM
You can spend 3 hours and you would have all the money you ever need, in both Vice City and San Andreas.

The trick in both is that the Hunter can outrun Police Choppers. See, if you do not take down a police chopper, than your wanted level will not go above 3 stars. In Vice City, that did not really matter so much.

In San Andreas, once you had 4 stars (might have been 5), you had fighter jets on you. While it is not *impossible*, it is considerably difficult to avoid missile hits. You can take two or three at most.

In SA you also had to deal with the hunger factor. Flying around for 2 game days can kill you.

Tips: first, get your fat up all the way. This is your buffer. Next, sleep at your personal airfield, because you should have a chopper there when you take off (if you completed all the flight courses on Gold).

As you are flying around, you will eventually start to lose fat as your body is consuming it in place of food. Once your fat is gone, you will be consuming muscle - you do not want to lose that as it is much harder to build up. That is the point where you land at a town near your airstrip, hit up a Pay N Spray, eat, and get a new chopper.

As for the actual flying, fly around and pick off the ground targets. Do not, under any circumstances, take out a police chopper - you are screwed at that point.

I got to level 100-something and had over $100,000,000 in 3-4 hours. I wanted to try and get $99999999, and it turns out the game added an extra digit to the end. Bastards.

Each level gives you more and more money, and the difficulty does not really increase. If you have the hang of things, you will kill the criminals faster than in the time you are allotted at the start of the level - that is, you will have a nice buffer of time. 5 minutes is enough to dodge cops, grab some food, and get another chopper in the air, but I often had anywhere from a 10-30 minute buffer.

Spend a couple of hours and you literally will have no need for money whatsoever. I had a "fun" file where I had all of my weapons maxed out, just if I felt like going around for some wanton destruction.

KubeDawg
04-28-2008, 08:14 PM
Once I move in with my roomate, since he's got a PS3, I will be buying this game. It looks hella fun.

Everything
04-29-2008, 03:51 PM
Yay, it came out today. Nay, I has no money on me.

I'll probably get this game within the next month and or July. :cry:

Anshinritsumai
04-29-2008, 05:02 PM
Yay, it came out today. Nay, I has no money on me. Nor do I have a 360 or PS3.

I'll probably get this game within the next month and or July. :cry:

Fikst, for me at least...

uBeR
04-29-2008, 07:25 PM
My roommate got the game today. Looks terrible, graphically.

Oh, and it's buggy.

Everything
04-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Nice to hear your opinion.

uBeR
04-29-2008, 09:53 PM
Nice to see your reply to my opinion. No, really.

Etzell
04-29-2008, 10:41 PM
Couple of my friends have been playing non-stop. To me, it's every other GTA with a lot more emphasis on the little things... Not worthy of the Best Game Ever it's being touted as, IMO.

Suite307
04-29-2008, 10:46 PM
Couple of my friends have been playing non-stop. To me, it's every other GTA with a lot more emphasis on the little things... Not worthy of the Best Game Ever it's being touted as, IMO. Well with a series of craptacular game released during 2007,i understand why this game is "awesome"

Ihmhi
04-30-2008, 02:03 AM
My roommate got the game today. Looks terrible, graphically.

Oh, and it's buggy.

Which system did he get it for? Reviews said the PS3 had a smoother framerate and less hiccups, but the 360 had much more vibrant colors.

uBeR
04-30-2008, 02:35 AM
PS3. Though, my other friend got it for his Xbox 360, which I have yet to see.

GeoKill----->
04-30-2008, 07:45 PM
http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/simpleratings.asp
BS? Hopely with more reviews it will go

Ihmhi
04-30-2008, 08:08 PM
Resident Evil 4? Seriously?

Dr.Satan
04-30-2008, 08:27 PM
Resident Evil 4? Seriously?

lol Ihmhi...you never played it?

GeoKill----->
04-30-2008, 08:28 PM
Ya RE4 was really good

Circuitous
04-30-2008, 09:58 PM
If by "really good" you mean "shitty; but I had very, very low expectations, so I enjoyed it" then you're 100% right.

It's funny, 'cuz Tekken 3 - one of the shittiest games ever - is above it.

The fact that either of them are on the list, and that the Orange Box is on there twice, makes this list laughable at best and idiotic at worst.

Suite307
04-30-2008, 11:23 PM
www.metacritic.com

Circuitous
04-30-2008, 11:47 PM
It's the only 100 on there.

Wahahsahsa?

GeoKill----->
05-01-2008, 02:37 AM
If by "really good" you mean "shitty; but I had very, very low expectations, so I enjoyed it" then you're 100% right.
or we have different opinions no? :confused:

Dr.Satan
05-01-2008, 04:30 AM
I thought it (RE4) was about what I expected from all the RE's after the first. Very difficult to shoot, odd random camera angles, never enough ammo, can scare the piss out of you in one frame and be really fucking cheesy in the next.

I personally like it best out of all of them and it's still probably somewhere in the top 50 console games I've played

Skanky Butterpuss
05-01-2008, 04:33 AM
Tekken 3 - one of the shittiest games ever

TAKE IT BACK! :cry:

Ihmhi
05-01-2008, 03:48 PM
lol Ihmhi...you never played it?

RE:

It's funny, 'cuz Tekken 3 - one of the shittiest games ever - is above it.

RE: Tekken 3, see above.

The fact that either of them are on the list, and that the Orange Box is on there twice, makes this list laughable at best and idiotic at worst.

One is the PC OB and one is the console one.

Remember these sites just aggragate scores from other sites, so they are pretty reflective of the opinions of a wide body critics.

Dr.Satan
05-01-2008, 04:12 PM
lol don't listen to circ...it really is a pretty decent game.

Ihmhi
05-01-2008, 04:30 PM
I did play RE4 (and Tekken 3). I was not terribly impressed with either.

One thing that always gets me with RE games is they just fuck up the controls badly. The lasers in RE4 were a nice touch. You know, so you could actually see what the hell you were shooting at. If it were a FPS game it would not really even be much of a challenge. This, to me, means the challenge is that the controls are shitty. That's not a good game, that's poor design.

And why the fuck can't you shoot the fucker with the guns and take 'em all? It's not like theres cops around to stop you.

Dr.Satan
05-01-2008, 05:04 PM
I did play RE4 (and Tekken 3). I was not terribly impressed with either.

One thing that always gets me with RE games is they just fuck up the controls badly. The lasers in RE4 were a nice touch. You know, so you could actually see what the hell you were shooting at. If it were a FPS game it would not really even be much of a challenge. This, to me, means the challenge is that the controls are shitty. That's not a good game, that's poor design.

And why the fuck can't you shoot the fucker with the guns and take 'em all? It's not like theres cops around to stop you.

lol I definitely agree that the controls have always been completely fucked...and that is probably why the game is so difficult, but they also do very well (generally) to only give you just enough ammo to survive.

And yeah shooting the guy with the gun should be allowed...fuck you can shoot birds and shit why not him?

GeoKill----->
05-01-2008, 09:28 PM
you can shoot him and he dies

Dr.Satan
05-01-2008, 09:47 PM
you can shoot him and he dies

but you can't jack the guns!

uBeR
05-01-2008, 09:53 PM
And by there way, there's been quite a few people who have been experiencing freezing problems (in addition to the other bugs). My roommate's GTA4 for the PS3 froze and it pissed him off lol. I guess I was right when I said it was overrated.

Skanky Butterpuss
05-01-2008, 10:06 PM
good for you uber. now go tell everyone you were right on an internet forum while the rest of us talk about the game. :lol:

Circuitous
05-01-2008, 10:38 PM
We're talking about GTA4?

Resident Evil 4 is shit. The main character is a tool. The primary game mechanics are ridiculous (namely: over the shoulder gameplay, tag-along characters, slaughtering villagers, press the button or die!! sequences, fifty-foot decapitations, et. al.).

You'd have to be some kind of masochist nimrod to allow a game this flawed any sort of recognition, "shit lists" notwithstanding.

It's the same logic that makes girls pair up with the biggest asshole they can find and say "Oh he's not so bad." Resident Evil 4 is your douchebag boyfriend.

And Tekken has never been good. Not since the invention of the 10-hit combo.

Skanky Butterpuss
05-01-2008, 10:41 PM
And Tekken has never been good. Not since the invention of the 10-hit combo.

rong.

Dr.Satan
05-01-2008, 10:55 PM
We're talking about GTA4?

Resident Evil 4 is shit. The main character is a tool. The primary game mechanics are ridiculous (namely: over the shoulder gameplay, tag-along characters, slaughtering villagers, press the button or die!! sequences, fifty-foot decapitations, et. al.).

You'd have to be some kind of masochist nimrod to allow a game this flawed any sort of recognition, "shit lists" notwithstanding.

It's the same logic that makes girls pair up with the biggest asshole they can find and say "Oh he's not so bad." Resident Evil 4 is your douchebag boyfriend.

It's not that bad...I mean in terms of what I expected to get out of it, I was perfectly happy with it. The over the shoulder gameplay, while it generally sucks, I feel adds a mechanic to playing b/c sometimes you end up in a room facing the completely wrong fucking direction while getting attacked by like 20 zombies / whatever. And while that can be annoying as fuck, it makes it fun sometimes b/c then I have to scramble to get it right and kill everything, as opposed to every other game ever when you just get in the groove and it’s game over.

Never have liked the tag-along characters, but alas they are around more and more these days. Heh maybe that’s why I hate TF2…med reminds me of that. :lol:

Press button or die…meh I could go either way…

Overall it’s about average in terms of the games I have played of late…generally though, TBH, I find myself liking console games less and less each time a new one comes out.

greenday5494
05-01-2008, 11:59 PM
rong.
i heart tekken

Ihmhi
05-02-2008, 08:00 AM
Press button or die…meh I could go either way…

Relevant: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation/2980-Zero-Punctuation-Uncharted-Drake-s-Fortune

Dr.Satan
05-02-2008, 02:42 PM
Dead on Ihmhi!

Crazycarl
05-02-2008, 03:39 PM
I thought RE4 was ok(never played any of the other games), the girl didn't get in my way at all, which was a surprise. I would have liked if they'd kept to the village setting. Halfway through the castle it got pretty cheesy.

Worst thing: MAKING ME GO TO THE INVENTORY SCREEN TO SWITCH WEAPONS >:(

Those button matching sequences seem to be everywhere now. If they are appropriate I don't mind. But if it's like, press triangle to dodge, why not just let me dodge?

Dr.Satan
05-02-2008, 03:55 PM
lol exactly...that or (like the guy in the vid Ihmhi posted said) make it more appropiate.

Like in Tomb Raider...running from the rock the button matching to get away THAT I saw coming...it was like ok some shit is going to happen. But generally it's like walk into room HIT X...die...try again and of course you do it correctly, never really stops your from proceeding, just fucks up your streak b/c you fucking died.