PDA

View Full Version : (WIP) Recommendation: Postings of [WIP]

Nuk3m
03-21-2008, 07:01 PM
Hey, I've noticed a lot of promised maps over the time, and few completed. Because there have been maps people have looked forward to, please don't post early.

I know when you start on a project it becomes so exciting! We all have been there. But for the sake of others, Please do not make postings of your maps until you are relatively sure as to where you are going exactly with the map, and have some decent work done to it. Not that this is directed toward any members of our mapping community, I just feel media releases should be properly organized.

Dr.Satan
03-21-2008, 08:24 PM
agreed!

Crazycarl
03-21-2008, 08:25 PM
I agree but it's hard to tell sometimes just how close you are to completion. It's amazing how, once a map is "done", you keep finding new things that need to be fixed. Also a WIP thread can be a good place to get opinions and help.

Then there are guys who do one box with a player start in it and start posting screenshots. If you spent less time talking about it and more time working you'd be a lot farther along.

Nuk3m
03-21-2008, 09:17 PM
ive suggested seperating WIPs from the rest of the maps section.

eg:
LUA
WIP
MAPS

this way Mapping can be for help and tech specificly.

Hirohito
03-22-2008, 12:48 AM
ive suggested seperating WIPs from the rest of the maps section.

eg:
LUA
WIP
MAPS

this way Mapping can be for help and tech specificly.

Sounds like a plan to me. I'm getting tired of seeing every damn topic in "Released" being about a WIP map.

BumGravy
03-22-2008, 03:40 AM
I disagree. Post early and post lots, a lot of people pick up bad habits and carry them forever cos no one tells them.

Nothing wrong with early WIP posts, maybe we need a thread specified for it rather than a whole forum tho.

And its good to watch a thread as a map goes from noob to polished release, even if it doesn't happen very often.

[AE] 82694
03-23-2008, 07:10 PM
I disagree. Post early and post lots, a lot of people pick up bad habits and carry them forever cos no one tells them.

Nothing wrong with early WIP posts, maybe we need a thread specified for it rather than a whole forum tho.

And its good to watch a thread as a map goes from noob to polished release, even if it doesn't happen very often.

+1 Here. I don't post very much in the WIP but thats just because I'm not a very good critique. But I'm in the forums almost every day reading up.

Nuk3m
03-24-2008, 11:04 AM
rly tho leaving maps to just be for released/completed maps would be like a database. its not a bad idea =x

Dr.Satan
03-24-2008, 02:24 PM
really I just wish that mappers would release their original files if they have abandoned a map especially maps like flagrun or remix_casbah where it's so close to being a final and then it's just forgotten cause life stepped in.

[AE] 82694
03-25-2008, 02:40 AM
It would be good to have a sub forum for WIP and beta's and have released maps in their own.

Dr.Satan
03-25-2008, 05:06 AM
82694']It would be good to have a sub forum for WIP and beta's and have released maps in their own.

man you really have no idea how many dam sub-forums there really are! I think if we add more, mervaka and circ will probably kill themselves (as will I)!

GambiT
03-25-2008, 11:30 AM
only thing that bothers me is all of these ppl trying to put out maps simply because "ff needs more maps" and are doing very very very shitty jobs.

most of the maps i see around here look like utter shit, in all honesty. DO NOT sacrifice quality for quantity.

Tyrant
03-25-2008, 03:16 PM
Sometimes a mapper needs inspiration and wheres a better place than to get decent comments and people looking forward to something.

theres always two sides to something and unfortunately this topic definitely meets in the center.