PDA

View Full Version : The "FF_" Prefix.

o_the phenom
04-22-2005, 08:42 PM
Really just as the title puts it.
I was wondering if FF maps will appear on the internet with a little ff_ in front of them - or when the game is released will the map names have no prefix?

o_osiris
04-22-2005, 09:03 PM
I dont see why not, I actually like having the maps use the mod prefix in the names.

o_sobe green
04-22-2005, 09:04 PM
I'd rather gametype prefixes be used.

o_otiz
04-22-2005, 09:08 PM
Maybe ctf_2fort, ad_dustbowl and dom_cz2. ff_ctf_2fort is overdoing it. I feel that it should be ff_map and not gameplay prefixes. But it is more newbie-friendly to have gameplay prefixes (de_dust, cs_assault). There have been good discussions about this already.

o_qbaler
04-22-2005, 09:12 PM
I am perfectly content with no prefixes. Has done ok in tfc.

I honestly dont see the point in a ff_ prefix. Seems sort of redundant and I dont see how it would help a noob.

ctf_ ad_ dm_ prefixes I would be ok with and I do see a purpose in them but I dont think it would make to much a difference.

o_the phenom
04-22-2005, 09:14 PM
Hmm.

Personally I'm neutral with the prefix thing - but I think ff_ would be enough.

Ps - And I'm sorry it it's been asked before.

o_otiz
04-22-2005, 09:21 PM
No ff_ would not help a newbie and I don't think anyone said that. What I would like *best* is to have the names the same as they are now (2fort, crossover2). But they're changing them so they can't be the same. Gameplay prefixes remind me too much of cs, hl2dm or some game like that (sorry if I sound elitist).

o_valk
04-22-2005, 09:32 PM
think i remember reading somewhere a dev saying its ff_

o_travis dane
04-22-2005, 10:18 PM
Prefixes are currently used to indicate gameplay-type, but seeing as TFC (and thus FF) has a lot of diverse official and unofficial gameplay-types, I don't think it'll work out. Never really understood the point of prefixes anyway, beginner-friendly I suppose, as the previous posters have pointed out.

o_jinx
04-23-2005, 07:02 AM
As both a map-collector and a mapper, I really like mod-specific prefixes for keeping maps straight. For example, I have versions of a one map for Action Half-Life, Half-Life DM, Vampire Slayer, and Deathmatch Classic. If I didn't put ahl_, hldm_, vs_ and dmc_ in front of them I would get totally confused as to which was which :shock: In a mod-rich environment, it really helps keep things organized.

o_travis dane
04-23-2005, 01:29 PM
As both a map-collector and a mapper, I really like mod-specific prefixes for keeping maps straight. For example, I have versions of a one map for Action Half-Life, Half-Life DM, Vampire Slayer, and Deathmatch Classic. If I didn't put ahl_, hldm_, vs_ and dmc_ in front of them I would get totally confused as to which was which :shock: In a mod-rich environment, it really helps keep things organized.

Create seperate dirs for each mod? You don't need prefixes to do that for you I hope?

o_kam
04-23-2005, 01:35 PM
Nothing better than just googling ff_ to find fortress forever maps :p

o_desert_chipmunk
04-23-2005, 02:41 PM
actually i didnt relize till reading this forum that de_ maps were bomb maps and cs_ maps were hostage maps(if thats right) so it really didnt help me when i played cs because i didnt no what they meant =/

o_sobe green
04-23-2005, 03:35 PM
I'm for using prefixes. Anyone who doesn't play the game because the map names have prefixes is someone I didn't want to play with in the first place.

o_travis dane
04-23-2005, 03:58 PM
I'm for using prefixes. Anyone who doesn't play the game because the map names have prefixes is someone I didn't want to play with in the first place.

I fail to see where this has been even remotely mentioned...

I wouldn't mind to go either way, as long as mapnames aren't becoming excessively long.

o_jinx
04-23-2005, 04:28 PM
Since I may be working on mod variants of a map at the same time, all in the same compile directory, yeah I do kinda need the prefixes to keep them straight. Also, I use different compile settings sometimes- you have to for dmc- so you have to have a distinct name for the .map and .bsp so the batch file compiles the right version. I just makes a lot more sense if you are mapper to do it that way. And after they are compiled and zipped up.. why make separate directories for each identical zip etc. when I can just name them ff_ramparts.zip and cs_ramparts.zip? Organization is everything for a mapper when you are trying to keep this shit straight.

o_nezumi
04-24-2005, 03:02 AM
As travis said, putting gametype prefixes on FF maps is futile, 'cause there aren't fixed game modes like in CS.

(cs_, de_, as_ (Come back, as, I love you!) and to a lesser extent awp_, and fy_ (which I'm pretty sure stand for Fuck You, because I think it comes from Pit's fy_iceworld (pit was an awful mapper, but a genius with flash cartoons)))

putting ff_ on maps might still be a good idea though. I'm not sure.

o_flyingcow
04-29-2005, 04:50 AM
maybe, in the server list, there could be an extra option called gametype,

it would say CTF, DM, ESCAPE, SKILL, FUN or something like that

the type of map would be designated by a FF entity in the bsp.

putting the gametype in the map name would make the map name too long

o_fjorn
04-29-2005, 05:01 AM
currently in TFC we have:

CTF (2fort)
a/d (dustbowl)
id (avanti)
RCTF (epicenter)
Territorial control (cz2)
Sequential territorial control (warpath)
Skill (conc maps, rocket jump maps, etc)
Death match (lots of HLDM maps ported, also ones such as mulch_dm)
Escape (k_thegame, the_damned, etc)
Fun maps (minigolf, etc)
Flagrun type maps (flagrun)
Push type maps (push)
Murderball type maps (murderball)
Modified CTF (banana_r)

thats alot of gametypes

trepid_jesse
04-29-2005, 07:50 AM
Unless somethin' changes between now and then, there will be an ff_ prefix, and a _youknowyouwantit suffix.

o_]l[-rare
04-29-2005, 08:19 AM
Unless somethin' changes between now and then, there will be an ff_ prefix, and a _youknowyouwantit suffix.

does this mean we'll be seeing ff_monkey_r_l_lowgrens_forthewin! ?

Is it possible to make a single version of a map, that server could control some of the stuffs in a map?
Like making 1 version of openfire, but allowing the server to set wether it would use lowgren bags or the normal bags?

o_sobe green
04-29-2005, 08:23 AM

CTF (2fort)
a/d (dustbowl)
id (avanti)
RCTF (epicenter)
Fun maps (minigolf, etc)

thats alot of gametypes

I always considered maps like cz2 and warpath a variant of the same style. But they are different at the same time. Hmm..

You forgot flagrun. :)

o_fjorn
04-29-2005, 08:36 AM
I always considered maps like cz2 and warpath a variant of the same style. But they are different at the same time. Hmm..

You forgot flagrun. :)

Bleh, thought I had them all

edited!

o_gogeta
04-30-2005, 03:32 AM
u forgot about push

o_ink
04-30-2005, 07:13 AM
Nothing better than just googling ff_ to find fortress forever maps :p

Very good point.

o_fjorn
04-30-2005, 08:03 AM
u forgot about push

Push is a "fun" type map

And sniper maps are really team Death Matches, which is included in the DM category

o_kam
04-30-2005, 03:19 PM
err no push is a legit type (check out wolteg_r)

o_valk
04-30-2005, 03:32 PM
yer its played in leagues and isnt limited to "fun types" like turkeyburger and the such

o_ghroth
04-30-2005, 06:32 PM
any official FF map will have the prefix
any 3rd party map approved by the team will have the prefix

o_fjorn
04-30-2005, 06:49 PM
all right, slap me silly, I was thinking pull when you said push...

yeah, that is a valid gametype, as is murderball

o_travis dane
04-30-2005, 06:53 PM

Approved meaning? Okay to be used in the official mapcycle? Okay by decent mapping standards? Okay to play in clan-games?

o_]l[-rare
05-01-2005, 12:48 AM

CTF (2fort)
a/d (dustbowl)
id (avanti)
RCTF (epicenter)
Fun maps (minigolf, etc)
Flagrun type maps (flagrun)
Push type maps (push)
Murderball type maps (murderball)
Modified CTF (banana_r)

thats alot of gametypes

Is modified CTF the same as True CTF? A defender can make their flag go back to flag room by touching it.

o_sobe green
05-01-2005, 02:44 AM

Approved meaning? Okay to be used in the official mapcycle? Okay by decent mapping standards? Okay to play in clan-games?

Common sense should tell you the answer to that.

o_ghroth
05-01-2005, 05:11 AM

For any stamp of approval it has to go through us first. As far as I know, we will have people register with us to aquire the server.exe. And part of that registration process will be map cycle. So yes to all of your questions.
Though the last one might be left to the leagus.

Approved
1. To consider right or good; think or speak favorably of.
2. To consent to officially or formally; confirm or sanction.
3. To prove or attest.

o_etzell
05-01-2005, 05:38 AM
My question is, will there be any way for you guys to stop some random mapper from slapping an ff_ in front of his map name, to attract downloads?

o_fjorn
05-01-2005, 06:38 AM
L[-RaRe]Is modified CTF the same as True CTF? A defender can make their flag go back to flag room by touching it.

Well, TFC CTF isn't what you are refering to as "True CTF"

CTF, is standard CTF maps like 2fort, flag returns after usually 60s sence last touched, etc

Modified CTF is CTF like gameplay, but its not standard CTF.
For example, in banana_r you hide your flag, and then the other team finds it and caps it. Its still capture the flag, but its significantly different

o_ekim
05-01-2005, 11:20 AM
True CTF is
1. touch returns
2.cappoint = flagpoint
3.you need your flag at home to cap

o_ohcanep
05-01-2005, 01:40 PM
Bah, no prefix was fine, why wouldn't it be in the future too ? :)

o_otiz
05-01-2005, 02:03 PM
True CTF is
1. touch returns
2.cappoint = flagpoint
3.you need your flag at home to cap
For a recent game example. Quake 3.

o_travis dane
05-01-2005, 02:10 PM

Common sense should tell you the answer to that.

Yes I bloody know what approved means Mr. Projectionist. I meant what standards the dev team had for approving maps, with some 'common sense' you'd have figured that out.

o_nezumi
05-21-2005, 09:36 PM

Also, all of my maps will have the prefix.

Dospac
05-22-2005, 08:16 AM
A few of the requirements for a 3rd party map to be "approved" are still under wraps. We can't say yet! :)

o_jinx
05-22-2005, 01:51 PM

Also, all of my maps will have the prefix.

Mine too. If I am going to take the time to make a map for this mod, I'm going to name it whateverthefuckiwant thank you very much. :evil:

o_jinx
05-22-2005, 01:57 PM
For any stamp of approval it has to go through us first. As far as I know, we will have people register with us to aquire the server.exe. And part of that registration process will be map cycle. So yes to all of your questions.
Though the last one might be left to the leagus.

Approved
1. To consider right or good; think or speak favorably of.
2. To consent to officially or formally; confirm or sanction.
3. To prove or attest.

So you are saying that anyone who wants to run a server can only run maps that you approve? That's fucking bullshit. If you guys pull this, you can forget about my support as a mapper.

o_jinx
05-22-2005, 02:06 PM
I'm sorry if those two replies seemed inflammatory. I'm tired and maybe I'm misunderstanding...?!