PDA

View Full Version : Fortress Forever - Video + Audio Tutorials

Arx
12-15-2007, 10:51 PM
AcidReniX's
FF Tutorials:

New - Tutorial 9, conc aiming.. look down.
--------------------------------------------------
Quick Links to all videos:

Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=AcidReniX1)
Stage6 divx High quality (http://www.stage6.com/user/ArxFF/videos/)

Tutorial 1: Conc Jumping (www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKUz2KL3xTo)
(Basic/Essential)
*High Quality Here (http://www.stage6.com/user/ArxFF/video/1958642/Fortress-Forever---Tutorial-1---Conc-Jumping)

This tutorial demonstrates how to perform a concussion grenade jump. Conc jumping is an essential skill for scout, medic and offence players in general to know.

It is done by priming a concussion grenade and jumping when the grenade explodes using the kickback of the grenade to propel you across the map.

Tutorial 2: Trimping (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx4Tzin80sU)
(Basic/Essential)
*High Quality Here (http://www.stage6.com/user/ArxFF/video/1958789/Fortress-Forever---Tutorial-2---Trimping)

In this tutorial I demonstrate how to perform a movement technique called Trimping. Trimping is where a player can gain height after jumping onto, and then off of, an elevated surface.

It is a very useful technique for offence and defence players.

Tutorial 3: Ramp Sliding (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNimPfMMxV8)
(Basic)
*High Quality Here (http://www.stage6.com/user/ArxFF/video/1958875/Fortress-Forever---Tutorial-3---Ramp-Sliding)

This is a tutorial to demonstrate how to perform a ramp slide. You will need to know how to conc jump and how air control works in half-life2 to perform this technique effectively.

You can also try combining the trimping tutorial with this one to jump when approaching the top of a ramp to fire youself over an enemy defender.

Tutorial 4: Bunny Hopping (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTo7tbEeKn4)
(Mediocre)
*High Quality Here (http://www.stage6.com/user/ArxFF/video/1959078/Fortress-Forever---Tutorial-4---Bunny-Hopping)

In this tutorial I demonstrate how to perform a movement technique called Bunny Hopping. Bunny Hopping is a style of movement involving the jump button, strafe keys and turning your mouse. It gives you a speed increase and is useful for crossing large areas of the map or when mastered, small coridoors or even used in combat.

Tutorial 5: Default_fov (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmQtNKTL2l8)
(Basic)

This is a quick tutorial to show you the differences between changing your fov from 80 to 120. Fov is your field of view and as demonstrated in this video, you can see much more around you if your field of view is larger. It isn't 100% nessesary to change it but I would highly recommend you gradually drift away from the default fov and get used to using a higher one. Even if your aim suffers a fractional amount you will get used to it and it will only benefit you later.

Tutorial 6: Flame Push (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTcl9d0-km4)
(Mediocre)

In this tutorial I demonstrate the Pyro's flame thrower push effect. The flamethrower has a slight kickback to it. You can use this kick back in conjunction with jumping to help you accelerate quite fast over wide open spaces.

Tutorial 7: Sharking (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0rpJug_Hbc)
(Mediocre)

Sharking is a technique that allows you to maintain speed across water. This tutorial shows you how.

Tutorial 8: Demoman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gQb872Um2Y)
(N/A)
*High Quality Here (http://www.stage6.com/user/ArxFF/video/1958330/Fortress-Forever---Tutorial-8---Demoman)

In this tutorial I demonstrate the core principles of playing demoman.
You should consider this video more of a gameplay vid than a tutorial as it isn't really teaching anything specific, more analysing a style of play.

Tutorial 9: Conc Aiming (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD2xe-8B9jA)
(Mediocre)

This tutorial was created to show players how to aim after you have been concussed. Its quite simple, however it takes a little practice. A lot of players were having difficulty with this one. Just remember... YOUR CROSSHAIR LIEZZZ!!

A LOT more coming soon, also working on the quality.
If you would like to request a tutorial, message or
comment on youtube.

Credge
12-15-2007, 11:21 PM
Very nice. This is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping someone would make. Very well done.

One tut I think everyone should have would be BHopping. It's such an essential skill for both O and D that everyone should know how to do it.

Again, very well done.

Arx
12-15-2007, 11:34 PM
Bunnyhopping is next on the list, I will probaby to it tonight, along with maintaining speed etc. .

bokko
12-16-2007, 12:04 AM
Excellent tutorials, acid! This guy was imo one of the best scouts when I played tfc, he makes these moves look easy! Hopefully newbies will find their way to these videos.

4est
12-16-2007, 12:16 AM
These are great. Also, you can post high-res videos at www.stage6.com . If you could do that it would makes things easier to see. I'm sure we'd love to have links in the Wiki to your tutorials.

Thanks again.

squeek.
12-16-2007, 12:34 AM
Really great stuff. Very well spoken and clear. Well done.

EDIT: These should be posted on the main site. They are too good to waste.

GhostBuster
12-16-2007, 04:59 AM
really good job men!

Desyphur
12-16-2007, 05:53 AM
*applauds*

You sir are awesome!

This will definitely get people into playing :D

I love the end of the rampsliding video. You snuck a "It's alot better than TF2" in there. :D

P.S: You were that guy sniping me the other night, right? *AE* 583 is my ingame name (I should change my signature XD

Arx
12-16-2007, 06:04 AM
Yes the sniper would be me, sorry lol
Well I'm making the tutorials to hopefully get beginners who are enjoying the game to a higher skill level, which in turn attracts the old competitive players back to the game.

Also trying to advertise FF as a higher skill version of TF2, because there will be a lot of people soon who will think they are amazing at TF2 and who enjoy the basic fortress concept. FF will be appealing to those players sooner or later. Just have to wait :)

More video's probably coming tommorow, including some advanced trimps (not a tutorial).

Desyphur
12-16-2007, 06:12 AM
It's alright, I got you back a couple times :D

I didn't know about rampsliding :O

I'm gonna start using it and trimping more.

P.S: I want to add you to steam friends, could you add zepro29? That's my account name.

Edit: Found you XD

GeoKill----->
12-16-2007, 09:34 AM
Wow That was really good.
This should be added to the wiki

KubeDawg
12-16-2007, 10:04 AM
Very awesome indeed. You take suggestions? Imagine if we had tons of videos like this on youtube! I also like how you went to skill-specific maps for certain skills. I can suggest maybe continuing with different maps to sort of show the public the variety of maps available for Fortress Forever.

Great job!

bokko
12-16-2007, 12:30 PM
Request: Tutorial explaining the basics of skimming(off a conc/rocket/gren whatever)
Also sharking!

Again, great work!

AfterShock
12-16-2007, 04:39 PM
Great job acid. Stickied!

I would probably word the bunnyhopping tutorial slightly differently (although its already pretty good!). Strafing on the ground and jumping, or turning in a circle on the ground using strafe is actually quite different from the bunny hop mechanic, and might confuse some people.

I usually start teaching people by having them maintain speed after a conc jump, for just 1 or 2 skims. This is an easy skill that anyone can learn, and it can be used immediately in game. Then having them try that around a corner (introduce simple 1 button air control), for example monkey front door. Conc the midmap, turn left around the door.

If new players can learn to skim, but not air control, then you can quickly see why air control is useful and incorporate it, rather than the other way around (learning air control and then skimming). Then finally bunnyhopping comes from putting all those skills together.

Desyphur
12-16-2007, 05:37 PM
Holy crap it's AFTERSHOCK!

SmellyCat
12-16-2007, 06:56 PM
I agree with shock on the bunnyhopping.

Other than that, these are great. :)

Johnny Mullet
12-16-2007, 08:37 PM
Great job on those! I will get them up on my site ;)

=AS= Pt
12-16-2007, 08:39 PM
I have 2 questions:

1) How to make the console apear in FF.
2) How to make a video in FF.

I'm not as smooth as Arx, but can do some ingame movies or some tricks too and put them in Youtube.

But great great videos. The Bhop its the harder to understand, but trully great.

Long live Arx...

Arx
12-16-2007, 09:03 PM
I just play the game with fraps going recording sound from microphone input.

Its quite hard to explain bunnyhopping without writing a script first, but I'm quite lazy and the technique I show in the tutorial is how I picked it up.

It's not the best tutorial, but it is the method I used. I didn't want to focus on using maintaining speed to learn how to bunnyhop, or people wouldn't learn how to do it, they would only learn how to aircontrol off concs and rockets.

Sharking is up btw.

And to get console, there's an option in your game, its something like, in the multiplayer / advanced or in the keyboard / advanced. There's a tickbox called "enable developer console".

=AS= Pt
12-16-2007, 09:37 PM
Thanks Arx... Already made 2 people see your movies :D.

1 step forward in FF.

Gud job =)

AfterShock
12-16-2007, 11:50 PM
Its quite hard to explain bunnyhopping without writing a script first, but I'm quite lazy and the technique I show in the tutorial is how I picked it up.

It's not the best tutorial, but it is the method I used. I didn't want to focus on using maintaining speed to learn how to bunnyhop, or people wouldn't learn how to do it, they would only learn how to aircontrol off concs and rockets.
Yeah they're good points.. bunnyhopping is a mission to explain without actually being there teaching someone lol.

Would it be too much to ask for some very short (15 sec) videos of:

- Demoman placing a pipe trap, blowing it up
- Stacking burn levels as pyro with 3 burn weapons
- An explanation of the spy sabotage and how SG can see through cloaking but not disguise
- Building SG and upgrading

Basically I'm trying to get a basic manual on the website and was gonna do a few short vids myself about a few class things (have the youtube vids embedded in the page next to text about the classes), but since you're already on a roll thought i'd ask :D (no probs if not, I can do em)

bokko
12-16-2007, 11:57 PM
I made a tutorial of some sorts earlier showing how to lay more precise pipetraps by bouncing the pipes off walls/the ground.
ff_aardvark pipetrap (http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZER2fDmPh44)
It kind of fails as a newbie helper though.

Arx
12-17-2007, 12:32 AM
Yeah they're good points.. bunnyhopping is a mission to explain without actually being there teaching someone lol.

Would it be too much to ask for some very short (15 sec) videos of:

- Demoman placing a pipe trap, blowing it up
- Stacking burn levels as pyro with 3 burn weapons
- An explanation of the spy sabotage and how SG can see through cloaking but not disguise
- Building SG and upgrading

Basically I'm trying to get a basic manual on the website and was gonna do a few short vids myself about a few class things (have the youtube vids embedded in the page next to text about the classes), but since you're already on a roll thought i'd ask :D (no probs if not, I can do em)

LOL, I've been spending today doing the first 3, just working on getting a nice looking video for them. The other's I could do on lan, those ones i need people so i'm relying on public play.

can do SG stuff though easily

*EDIT* Oh I wasn't doing short ones, I was doing semi/full class guides. I can make some short ones for you though.

AfterShock
12-17-2007, 02:21 AM
<3

4est
12-17-2007, 03:24 AM
I want to restate how happy I am with these. Ace work!

Arx
12-17-2007, 04:21 AM
Demoman video up. Its stage6 and it takes me a little while to buffer, but it is great quality and shows the gameplay very well.

GeoKill----->
12-17-2007, 04:31 AM
Great Video
Also PT got his ass kick :D

Arx
12-17-2007, 04:45 AM
In his defence, I think he probably realised i'd be recording and thus stayed scout for the majority of the map. Scout vs demoman isn't really ever going to go well lol.

Desyphur
12-17-2007, 04:48 AM
Yeah.

Neither is medic vs demoman if the demo is good enough.

Also, I lvoe your videos. If you need an engi for the spy video, I'll play him.

Arx
12-17-2007, 04:52 AM
I try not to stage my video's as it doesn't give a realistic insight into the game, I'd much rather just record a demo straight off a public, pickup or match to show exactly how it is performed in a real game.

But if I just need a stationary player to show say damage output or a feature of the game i'll give you a shout ;p

Desyphur
12-17-2007, 04:54 AM
I could, you know, fight back :P

I could go get ammo and come back to a sabotaged turret :P

4est
12-17-2007, 04:58 AM
I'll post this in a Steam group announcement tomorrow night if it sounds good to you guys.

Jester
12-17-2007, 06:09 AM
By the time the stage6 video is done buffering, you could watch every other youtube one. Would reccomend staying with youtube for the impatient.

Arx
12-17-2007, 06:19 AM
I'm doing them both. I'll be gradually uploading them to Stage6 as they take a long time to upload, but some of the tutorials will require good quality as you may need to see distance objects or aiming patterns.

thiz
12-17-2007, 08:01 AM
Good work, should help out a lot of people :)

Paft
12-17-2007, 08:13 AM
For those that are serious about mastering bunny hopping but can't tell if you're even doing it, I found viewing in thirdperson is good to check if you're even doing it wright or wrong and how you look.

I wrote this to help me when I was learning to bh in TFC.
Again it's just to check basically.
//3rd person toggle (for a better look at your bunnyhopping offline)
alias 3rdoff "cam_idealyaw 90; firstperson; sv_cheats 0; alias 3rd 3rdon"
alias 3rdon "sv_cheats 1; cam_idealyaw 1; thirdperson; alias 3rd 3rdoff"
3rdon
bind "F9" "3rd"

AfterShock
12-17-2007, 11:41 AM
Watching that demoman vid reminds me: those big black dark patches where explosion decals are.. they gotta go! (or at least be tweaked so they don't stay there forever. impossible to see what's going on in that flagroom..)
-> Added to the list!

pF
12-17-2007, 11:46 AM
Arx: you sir, are a star.

GhostBuster
12-17-2007, 04:45 PM
Oh well, if they are going to be the official videos then i think they have to be re-made,

For example the conc tutorial, add how to strafe in the air and show the huge difference, also the "throw 1 conc and hold another one" demostratng like u conc, grab a flag and conc again... also there is a far more easy way to go up at well, i think its important that the phisycs of the conc get explained, for example if ur too close to the conc u wont get as much as impulse that if u stay on the edge of the blast of the conc. Also u can show the normal concs that would help players on everymap, aardvarks conc (arrow + conc = mega blast), sd2 ramp straight into T junction conc, also the well T to FR with one HH, and well there are many that u can show like for the new players to have an idea where to conc.

Also with the flame pushing, there are way more things that can be done, for example when u fall u can get less damage by aiming the flamethrower at the ground, or reaching higher and further distances.

Also the demoman, it should be explained that the little shotgun is userfull when u for example hurt bad a enemy with a blue pipe or the pipetrap doesnt kill him, also the thing that u can only place 8 pipes, and the detpack that is userfull for some positions and the most important, how to place a pipetrap, like looking down and using physics + logic to make decent pipetraps, maybe show how to place them on some maps, there are certain tricks or spots where u can make a better pipetrap, and well there is more but i think that would be enough.

edit: maybe i can give u a hand with demos or something if u like... i really thougth about doing this like weeks ago but the fact that i speak like borat kinda make me dessist on the idea.

Paft
12-17-2007, 04:51 PM
^ That stuff would go in "wtf you need to refer to this after viewing AcidReniX's tutorials is beyond me you stupid mother funker tutorials"

GhostBuster
12-17-2007, 04:56 PM
DO NOT go into a flaming spree like this

Paft
12-17-2007, 04:59 PM
Nah it wasn't a flame. Just can't keep my gob shut. I'll apologize for that...I apologize. :-P

Desyphur
12-17-2007, 05:14 PM
But he's right. That would go into an ADVANCED Concing video.

GhostBuster
12-17-2007, 05:24 PM
But he's right. That would go into an ADVANCED Concing video.

oh so thats what he meant... and no, i dont think so, the noobs have to know how the physics of the conc are so they can undesrtand where to jump when they throw a conc in the floor, the obvius thing a noob would do after watching the video is throwing a conc in the ground due the HH its a little advanced, and they will go just as close to the conc they can thinking that way the impulse its going to be major, when its going to be a failure.. and ofc showing wich are the most common concs, so they start to practice em and knowing wich ones are effective, concing is not as fun if u get owned by concing in a bad spot.

and the actual flamethrower video is advanced at hell, the guy is bhoping backwards and teaching absolutely nothing userfull for pub/anykind of playing (i say this with all the respect, aaaawsome videos men im just saying this to proove my point).. but taking less damage at falls and going higher and further in jumps and stuff that`s userfull use of the flamwthrower.

And at the demoman, i think its the most important thing ever the "how to place a pipetrap", its not advanced at all.

Paft
12-17-2007, 05:32 PM
I meant quite the opposite actually. Meaning.. how can a person not notice/figure/understand that stuff within a couple of minuets. It isn't possible.

Well, if some actually learns common sense stuff that's all good.

Dr.Satan
12-17-2007, 05:37 PM
I meant quite the opposite actually. Meaning.. how can a person not notice/figure/understand that stuff within a couple of minuets. It isn't possible.

Well, if some actually learns common sense stuff that's all good.

Yeah but that's the point of a good tut is to over simplify everything to make so that even Paris Hilton after a night out could read it and go "wow it all makes since now!" Seriously better to overkill with simplified stuff then to leave the reader confused or lead them in the wrong direction.

You have to say "Think like this b/c that's how your supposed to think," or they will never get it.

4est
12-17-2007, 05:48 PM
Exactly, the beauty of the vids is they are concise and can get a player into the action quickly.

bokko
12-17-2007, 06:11 PM
Ghosthunter, I realise you are very passionate about the game and eager to show your worth(I'm guessing you are still in your lower teens) but you are coming off as a wanker trying to lecture the guy.

These are basic tutorials, there's no need for covering every single aspect of each technique as newbies would just be overwhelmed. Not saying there's no room for more advanced tutorials in due time and acid more than qualifies for the job.

GhostBuster
12-17-2007, 07:52 PM
Ghosthunter, I realise you are very passionate about the game and eager to show your worth(I'm guessing you are still in your lower teens) but you are coming off as a wanker trying to lecture the guy.

These are basic tutorials, there's no need for covering every single aspect of each technique as newbies would just be overwhelmed. Not saying there's no room for more advanced tutorials in due time and acid more than qualifies for the job.

Hey men my reaction was just in case he flamed me cos i saw some insults but my compehension of the english language isnt good at all.

And please, read what i sugested, read my arguments, and then tell me "no, this is too advanced"... cos i think explaining the physic of the conc or how to make a pipetrap or how to take less damage using the flametrowher and all that stuff its necesary and easy explainable, wont take more than 20 seconds each.

Arx
12-17-2007, 07:53 PM
The thing is, when making a tutorial you have to realise people aren't stupid. They can see or work out a lot of the small techniques that aren't mentioned. For example, spreading a pipe trap and using walls to position pipes. This doesn't need to be explained in a video, because they can see in the video that walls are being used to position pipes and the pipes are spread out.

These tutorials are exactly aimed at 100% beginners as those kind of people won't be playing this game. You don't buy this game in the shop so you will have played at least one other 3D game that is very similar to this one.

The demoman in particular is more to show how a demoman is used, rather than how to play a demoman.

The other videos are also to show the manouver, so people can see it, then a brief explanation as to how to accomplish it. You can cover things in as much detail as you want, but you would only be over complicating it. Practise is what makes a player learn how to do the move, not overwhelming with information.

GhostBuster
12-17-2007, 07:55 PM
Aight, u got the final desition, but taking 20 seconds to explain that if ur too close to the conc u wont fly as much as if ur in the edge of the blast isnt overwhelming to me.

Arx
12-17-2007, 08:00 PM
No, your right on that one. I just don't write a script so everything I say is what I can think of on the spot. I'm too lazy to do extra takes as well incase I forget something. I was meant to include the shotgun in the demoman video, used as a weapon for finishing off a target or to get hits on an escaping flag carrier, but didn't think of it while commentating.

Takes ages to encode and upload the videos, so it's quite unlikely i'll redo them.

Try to remember everything in future videos though :)

GhostBuster
12-17-2007, 08:07 PM
Hey no problem im just sugesting stuff i know the hard part is the making of the video, i wanted to do one but as i already said, i sound like borat when i speak english so i had to decist.

What im saying is that if this are going to be the 100% official videos, it would be cool that they embraced all the basic stuff, i dont know if with a script but maybe yes with certain ishues that must be spoken for the noob players to undesrtand what are they seeing.

Desyphur
12-18-2007, 12:59 AM
Hey no problem im just sugesting stuff i know the hard part is the making of the video, i wanted to do one but as i already said, i sound like borat when i speak english so i had to decist.

You really do XD. Not trying to insult, but you do sound like Borat when you're talking over the mic :)

squeek.
12-18-2007, 05:11 PM
Any more in the works?

KubeDawg
12-18-2007, 08:22 PM
Hey Acid, fi interested, check out this section about concing/advanced concing techniques that might give you a few ideas if you are making more conc videos:

http://fortress-forever.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12267

Foxtrick
12-18-2007, 11:49 PM
I know it was mentioned about it somethings being obvious and not needing to be mentioned, but the Youtube videos atleast, are not clear(quality) - in terms of bouncing pipes of the wall for positioning. If it was a high definition video, than no explanation needed, or if it was of the FF home page etc. Otherwise, its something possibly missed 'in translation'.

Thats not meant as a complaint, I think everyone here feels really glad you've done, what is a fantastic job overall speaking. And I am part of that everyone!

Arx
12-19-2007, 04:56 AM
thats the main reason why i uploaded to stage6. I never wanted bad quality vids, but the stage6 ones take ages to buffer, so i thought its best to upload both.

greenday5494
12-20-2007, 09:09 PM
and show off, if you can, some of the cool graphics in the game. You know how graphic whores are.

GeoKill----->
12-23-2007, 10:30 AM
Any updates on this?

AcidReniX
12-24-2007, 12:57 AM
Btw thanks shock i think the account works (if this post went through then it does).

As for an update on this, its on hold at the moment as a few trial versions of products i'm using have expired. I just need to _purchase_ the product then i can continue.

There probably will be revised versions of some of the tutorials as well as new ones. As I'm not a pro at making tutorials I take into account user feedback such as if someone actually learned something or not. To do this I need feedback from the tutorials which i get a lot of (from the people they are targeted at) in private messages and comments. If there is no feedback, I assume the video is straight forward and clear and the people who have watched it have learned something from it.

If anyone has a request for a tutorial, just write it here, leave a comment on YT or S6 or private message me here.

One other thing, this is as much tutorials to teach people as it is to show off the game capabilities. You can quite happily suggest a tutorial that you already know, but think looks impressive and might attract people to the game, I'm 99% sure I can perform the manouver/shot and guide people through what it is and what it is useful for, even if I can't teach it very effectively.

Bakez
12-24-2007, 05:00 AM
Watched all the tutorials and although I already know the things you are teaching I thought they were great. Really good advert for the game. The only thing I would suggest is that perhaps rerecording the commentary again. Perhaps write a script beforehand to make sure you get in all the keypoints you want to say and use the right words, although I do realise how much effort that would take.

I hope these videos can be used well and placed somewhere where we know almost all players will know about them. Out of interest were these done off your own back or specifically for the dev team?

GeoKill----->
12-24-2007, 06:05 AM
Alright today a guy was asking me how to aim his Sg
I guess you could do one with the functions of the Sg

AcidReniX
12-24-2007, 09:14 PM
allthough aiming techniques is not something I want to cover, as my aim in general is quite dire compared to a lot of players and i've generally relied on movement to keep me in with the better players, i guess a few things could be covered such as sensitivity, aiming patterns and the spray range of each weapon.

The reason I don't record a script is because its actually less fluent with a script than without. Its suprisingly difficult to play the game whilst describing what your doing. Its even harder to play the game to show what you've written in a script.

I'm sure someone else would be much more suited to the job, especially for the basic tutorials as although I'm good at the game, my presentation skills lack somewhat.

Just trying to do my bit for the community.

I've been playing TF2 quite a bit in the last week, and it is actually a great game (as long as you don't compare it to FF or TFC). My heart however has always and always will be with fast paced frantic games and since this is the best one out, I'm determined to do everything I can to help form a new thriving community.

Publicity is the only way this mod is going to kick off. You can change all the features of the game but at the end of the day, if I read a description of counter-strike, I wouldn't be even remotely interested in playing it. The only reason why I would play it would be because people are mentioning it as an awesome game... a lot of people.

What made me progress as a TFC player wasn't only watching people in game pull off these amazing maneuvers. I watched a whole load of videos, demos, read some stuff, heard things from word of mouth.

The graphics of the game aren't what people need to boast about. As hard as the developers have worked on them, they are not amazing. Don't get me wrong, they are good, and despite what people say about theming the graphics, they do fit together nicely (by theme I mean a pirate running around a power facility).

The small effects are cool for new players for about 10 seconds, then they are just part of the game. They hinder existing players as they are disorientating.

The main thing this game has to offer is gameplay. That has always been the mod's main focus, and that is what it was aiming for. Half the reason why FF was made is because people heard TF2 was removing grenades, movement speed and techniques, fov, gameplay styles and the list goes on...

I know I've kind of, hijacked my own thread, but i'd rather not make another new thread about how to help this game thrive. That implies that the game is doomed and discourages players from even trying it.

The simple message is think what YOU can personally do to help this community. Whether that means just simply playing the game as much as posible, creating a website/clan or making media to advertise the mod. But please, think about where your skills lie, if you insist of making a low quality, out of sync skills movie with nothing special in it and a blue screen with white font with the words "FF pwns TF2" as your splash screen, then don't upload it.

I play a lot of other games, and I always end up mentioning fortress forever in some way or form. I play some CS and I use shotguns to kill people. I often get a lot of kills and people are laughing saying wtf? I turn around and say I'm a fortress forever player, I only know how to use shotguns effectively. They ask what is Fortress Forever... and you can see where this is going.

But yea, tutorials are my other way of advertising this mod. Quake 3 trick jumping is great to watch, but when I tried to learn it, I got just past the basic, self explanatory stuff and wasn't really able to learn the rest. I gave up and moved on. Think about that one too.

GeoKill----->
12-24-2007, 11:10 PM
allthough aiming techniques is not something I want to cover, as my aim in general is quite dire compared to a lot of players and i've generally relied on movement to keep me in with the better players, i guess a few things could be covered such as sensitivity, aiming patterns and the spray range of each weapon.

By aiming I meant, setting up the Sentry gun aim at the direction you wanted at. Also how to det/dismantle a sentry Gun. How to upgrade, and a little explanation about each Sentry gun level. Also you could mention that as an engy you must Check for Spy so they do not Sabotage it.

Bakez
12-25-2007, 05:23 AM
By aiming I meant, setting up the Sentry gun aim at the direction you wanted at. Also how to det/dismantle a sentry Gun. How to upgrade, and a little explanation about each Sentry gun level. Also you could mention that as an engy you must Check for Spy so they do not Sabotage it.
Maybe but you don't really need a tutorial for aiming/building your SG. It isn't exactly a skill is it. I think if people can't work out how to aim it then it represents a design flaw in the user friendliness of the system.

KubeDawg
12-26-2007, 10:48 PM
It is a skill, because often times you have to aim it in a specific way in order for it to be effective. Say if you build a SG at the top of the main ramp in Aardvark, well, you'd want to aim it downwards a bit, in the direction that the ramp is, or if there are 2 entrances that need to be covered, the SG needs to be about halfway between the one and the other, like on monkey when your SG is placed opposite of the flag above the ladder. You don't want your SG to just face to the left, because there is a right entrance, and at the same time, you dont want your sg facing just a small amount downward as there are 2 more entrances below the main level.

MegaTurtle
12-29-2007, 09:33 AM
Great guides, keep it up.

AfterShock
12-29-2007, 11:57 AM
I'd like to chuck this out there aswell, it's a great warsow bunnyhopping tutorial video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y6t07VID4w&feature=related

KubeDawg
12-29-2007, 04:32 PM
Holy Crap WTF is that game? I wanna play that so bad now! Awesome tutorial TBH!:shock:

MegaTurtle
12-30-2007, 12:50 AM
Umm, if you read even a little bit you'd know that the game is called Warsow and is available at http://www.warsow.net/?page=home
It's a great game, try it. Sad thing is I never see many people online, a little less than FF.

KubeDawg
12-31-2007, 03:08 AM
Err, it's a little too fast paced for me, and too unreal tournament style for my liking. While it looks fun, it certainly doesn't live up to FF or TFC.

3allz
01-08-2008, 07:56 PM
i remember i made a bhop tutorial demo once using that big circles technique :). fuck knows where it has gone.

Nice vids though, wasnt anything there i didnt know but im sure loads of people will find use of them. Also, im sure its a good incentive to get more people playing!

SkullBash
01-14-2008, 04:49 PM
A little late but I haven't posted in a while... THOSE are Some of the best tutorial videos I have ever seen. Well spoken and demonstated. Definitely have learned some improvements.

Desyphur
01-16-2008, 08:11 PM
He's got a new video up! Woo!

SkullBash
01-18-2008, 04:55 PM
He's got a new video up! Woo!

I was lucky enough to be on the server when the new vid was being made. I was just kind of hit and miss with conc aiming and that tut helps.

own3r
01-18-2008, 05:24 PM
Tutorial 6: Flame Push (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTcl9d0-km4)
(Mediocre)

In this tutorial I demonstrate the Pyro's flame thrower push effect. The flamethrower has a slight kickback to it. You can use this kick back in conjunction with jumping to help you accelerate quite fast over wide open spaces.

Take the engineer's rail gun and do the same thing firing shots continuously :P

Arx
01-18-2008, 07:17 PM
Never knew that one ;p
Might test it out a bit later. :)

4est
01-18-2008, 08:16 PM
My favorite is a series of backwards IC jumps. You can go across a yard fast and take very little damage. It seem when you are IC jumping backwards that you are still inside the shockwave but outside the damage radius.

Hype
05-19-2008, 11:40 PM
Site is down

tage6.com has been shut down. Thank you for supporting the service.

We created Stage6 with the mission of empowering content creators and viewers to discover a new kind of video experience. Ultimately, the continued operation of Stage6 was a very expensive enterprise that required an enormous amount of attention and resources that we at DivX are not in a position to continue to provide. There are a lot of other details involved, but at the end of the day it's really as simple as that.

The DivX experience will continue, of course. Every day new DivX Certified devices arrive on the market making it easy to move video beyond the PC. Products powered by DivX Connected, our new initiative that lets users stream video, photos, music and Internet services from the PC to the TV, are hitting retail outlets. We remain committed to empowering content creators to deliver high quality video to a wide audience, and we'll continue to offer services that will make it easy to find videos online in the DivX format.

It's been a wild ride, and none of it would have been possible without the support of our users. Thank you for making Stage6 everything that it was.

It whould be smart to find a new place to upload the vid's that where uploaded on stage6. ;)

GeoKill----->
05-20-2008, 04:30 AM
Ya I removed the links from the wiki a while ago

Circuitous
05-20-2008, 01:47 PM
You could use WeGame?

pF
05-22-2008, 01:28 AM
Well, anybody still have them saved somewhere? It'd be important to reup, imo.

KubeDawg
05-23-2008, 06:29 PM
Here's all the videos on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=AcidReniX1&p=r

CatzEyes93
09-13-2008, 04:22 PM
haveta hunt through that big list in order to find the ff stuff. Does anyone have youtube account of JUST ff tutorials for the different clasess?

Shadow xXx
09-01-2009, 12:53 PM
I can find all videos, from first site.
AcidReniX1 only have 27 videos, thats 2 pages, go on page 2 , there u find 1-7 and at page 1 at the bottom are the tuturial 8-9.
Good Luck !

Greez Shadow xXx