PDA

View Full Version : Computer is broken

Nuk3m
11-27-2007, 09:41 PM
Alright, so a friend of mine had asked if I could fix his computer for him,
he says to me "it worked last night, but when i went to turn it on today it didnt turn on"

my instinct tells me the PSU is broken, but i dont have a replacement one to check my theory. I checked all the wires to ensure proper connection, made sure the CPU wasnt fried, checked for any visible damage on the motherboard. I also checked the power button to make sure its connected to the motherboard.
i have to return the pc back to him tomorrow, and i pretty much need to tell him whats wrong with it. its a piece of shit dell, if that give u any help.

anyone have any other ideas?

Anshinritsumai
11-27-2007, 09:46 PM
That's pretty much the exact same thing that happened to me, only difference is that I was using my PC when it broke and then it wouldn't turn back on.

My only guess would be PSU or Mobo fried, just like in my situation. I can't see any visible damage to either component on my comp yet I don't have replacements to test the theories either.

Iggy
11-27-2007, 11:06 PM
Alright, so a friend of mine had asked if I could fix his computer for him,
he says to me "it worked last night, but when i went to turn it on today it didnt turn on"

my instinct tells me the PSU is broken, but i dont have a replacement one to check my theory. I checked all the wires to ensure proper connection, made sure the CPU wasnt fried, checked for any visible damage on the motherboard. I also checked the power button to make sure its connected to the motherboard.
i have to return the pc back to him tomorrow, and i pretty much need to tell him whats wrong with it. its a piece of shit dell, if that give u any help.

anyone have any other ideas?

I found the problem, and highlighted it.

Nuk3m
11-27-2007, 11:18 PM
hahaha good call

Iggy
11-27-2007, 11:28 PM
Seriously dude, I wouldn't give a Dell to someone I hated! Ever since Packard Bell went down, E-Machines and Dell have been fighting over the bottom spot!

Rutabeggar
11-27-2007, 11:30 PM
Does it just not turn on or does it attempt to turn on and make random sounds...could be the hard drive if that's the case...I got a Dell when I first started college and about 6 months later the hard drive died...knew it was the HD because of the awful clicking sounds it made from the disks in the HD not working properly or what not.

Focksbot
11-27-2007, 11:58 PM

Son of a bitch.

Tell him to take the plug out for the pizza box (the computer) and make sure that the monitor is on. Then after 2 minutes tell him to plug it back in. If it AUTOMATICALLY turns on and off, have him make sure he looks at the screen to see if there's any message displayed. For my computer I had an [Emem] error. The message flashes, make sure he looks for something IN BRACKETS. That is, if it even turns on and off.

I had the same crap happen to mine, I replaced the stupid motherboard. Now it just does it once a month for about 10 times on that day.

I tried Dell On Call (DO CALL THEM VIA WEBSITE, NO WARRANTY REQUIRED FOR SOME SERVICES) but they just told me to replace the RAM which wasn't defective at all whatsoever.

But after you get him to call them, ask what they said. So I can fix my stupid rig too.

Mooga
11-28-2007, 12:00 AM
When you say it doesn't turn on... you can't even boot to bios?
If they PSU is working and the computer still doesn't nothing, the mobo is probably shot.

Does ANYTHING happen when the power button is pressed?

I had a POS Sony die on me. I just popped in a new PSU and it worked like a charm. (which was harder then it seems because Sony cases are made for PSUs that are like 2 square inches... I had to use a hammer and duct tape to get a new PSU in there...)

Nuk3m
11-28-2007, 12:06 AM
When you say it doesn't turn on... you can't even boot to bios?
If they PSU is working and the computer still doesn't nothing, the mobo is probably shot.

Does ANYTHING happen when the power button is pressed?

I had a POS Sony die on me. I just popped in a new PSU and it worked like a charm. (which was harder then it seems because Sony cases are made for PSUs that are like 2 square inches... I had to use a hammer and duct tape to get a new PSU in there...)

when i hit the power button. nothing happens. at all. period. think of it this way. it does the same thing as if i pressed the power button when its not plugged into a wall at all. get it? :)

AKA: it is bricked in a sense, atm, no better then a huge paperweight.

Johnny Mullet
11-28-2007, 01:15 AM
Dead PSU.

Suite307
11-28-2007, 01:20 AM
Dead PSU often means fried everything.

Hawk Eye
11-28-2007, 01:20 AM
Dead PSU.
My Photoshop Unit broke once. It sucked :( I had to reinstall it and everything!~

Etzell
11-28-2007, 02:01 AM
Make sure the power supply is plugged in. :P

Nuk3m
11-28-2007, 02:12 AM
Make sure the power supply is plugged in. :P
lol yea it is. im just going to tell him tomorrow he needs a new PSU. even tho he wont know what i mean by that. if he switches it out and it still doesnt work then ill just tell him dells suck.

zSilver_Fox
11-28-2007, 02:17 AM
Pick up a $20 generic and test it out.

PS Boot to POST, not BIOS. You can't generally get into BIOS if it doesn't POST.

Nuk3m
11-28-2007, 02:26 AM
Pick up a $20 generic and test it out.

PS Boot to POST, not BIOS. You can't generally get into BIOS if it doesn't POST.
its not my pc and im broke, he might ask me to go out and buy the psu but i really am not in the mood to take apart his PC again, as the skeleton of the case is horribly designed, it took me 20 minutes to get the door off because it doesnt click on, you have to pry it, its very very strange.

zSilver_Fox
11-28-2007, 02:31 AM
Click on?

Last one I worked with slid into some slots and took multiple screws... take that as you will. But yea, Dell cases do suck. Charge him for the labor IMO.

-=Roland=-
11-28-2007, 03:20 AM
Most Dells won't take a $20 generic since Dell decided to use their own standard. Most parts stores do carry a Dell replacement type though.

there's nothing here
11-28-2007, 03:23 AM
Use your own psu.

Ihmhi
11-28-2007, 03:27 AM
Dell PSUs are shit.

One of my good friends replaced his PSU twice in two years on his Dell. I would bet a fiver that it's the PSU.

Backstaber
11-28-2007, 03:29 AM
My remedy for this situation involves a hammer and several noticeable dents and or rather large gashes on the case with a smashed motherboard. Then claim you got it working but to your horror the Computer Gremlins attacked! Then say you are truly sorry and feel bad that this unfortunate event occurred to his computer.

Nuk3m
11-28-2007, 10:22 AM
My remedy for this situation involves a hammer and several noticeable dents and or rather large gashes on the case with a smashed motherboard. Then claim you got it working but to your horror the Computer Gremlins attacked! Then say you are truly sorry and feel bad that this unfortunate event occurred to his computer.
Hahahaha.

פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
11-28-2007, 10:47 AM
No, no, no!

Firecracker + pc + some black chalk = Oh man I was fixing it and it blew up in mah face!

StatisticZ
11-28-2007, 12:32 PM
What model is his Dell? I have a Dell myself [I know :(] and the door comes off easy as hell.

פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
11-28-2007, 12:40 PM
']What model is his Dell? I have a Dell myself [I know :(] and the door comes off easy as hell.
^so it's easy to put in a firecracker *nudge nudge*

StatisticZ
11-28-2007, 01:16 PM
^so it's easy to put in a firecracker *nudge nudge*
I will gladly do that, as soon as I finish building the new one. I might even record it for you. Well, Iunno actually, I wanted to turn this one into a server so I didn't have to fill up the new one.

Nuk3m
11-28-2007, 01:59 PM
']I will gladly do that, as soon as I finish building the new one. I might even record it for you. Well, Iunno actually, I wanted to turn this one into a server so I didn't have to fill up the new one.
break.com thats all i have to say. 400$ for blowing up a pc lol

StatisticZ
11-28-2007, 03:48 PM

...OMFG. Then I'm blowing it up, lol. I'll fill it with parts from older computers I have tho, cuz I'd like to keep some shit from this one for purposes I shall not speak of. But, I'll gladly blow this up!

פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
11-29-2007, 08:26 AM
']...OMFG. Then I'm blowing it up, lol. I'll fill it with parts from older computers I have tho, cuz I'd like to keep some shit from this one for purposes I shall not speak of. But, I'll gladly blow this up!

WOOO! I win ^_^

zSilver_Fox
11-29-2007, 12:38 PM
Where do you see this? I have an old PC lying around.

Nuk3m
11-29-2007, 03:12 PM
Where do you see this? I have an old PC lying around.
Im just saying they pay you 400$ if what you posted can make main page.

פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
11-29-2007, 09:19 PM
Im just saying they pay you 400$ if what you posted can make main page.
UBERBANG!

Nuk3m
11-29-2007, 10:27 PM
UBERBANG!
lol put an m80 in the PC lol.

Focksbot
11-29-2007, 11:45 PM
That's not a lot of blast, takes a little more than an M-80.
It also depends if it's a nerfed one or not.

I prefer flash powder in a large pipe with caps.

zSilver_Fox
11-30-2007, 04:48 AM
That's not a lot of blast, takes a little more than an M-80.
It also depends if it's a nerfed one or not.

I prefer flash powder in a large pipe with caps.
Raw RDX works too... just be careful with it.