PDA

View Full Version : On-screen console messages (old -dev)

Lord Asriel
09-26-2007, 01:44 PM
In pre-(f00king)-Steam TFC I used to have the -dev parameter activated, and this used to print me the last line of the console at the upper left side of the screen.....It was really helpful. Is there anything like that now?

Deadly Furby
09-26-2007, 02:11 PM
See if this is what you're looking for. From the start screen:

Options/Keyboard/Advanced
"Enable Developer Console"

Dr.Satan
09-26-2007, 02:34 PM
If that doesn't work try putting this into your autoexec.cfg

developer 1

Paft
09-26-2007, 04:29 PM
I might as well jump on this thread. Since steam? in TFC why don't echo messages show on screen anymore?

DD`
09-26-2007, 06:54 PM
I might as well jump on this thread. Since steam? in TFC why don't echo messages show on screen anymore?

Dunno, but they echo to the console now. Same with FF when you pick a class look at the console and it gives brief description (assuming using an echo).

Dr.Satan
09-26-2007, 07:16 PM
Steam did something to mess up the echo messages, if you want them to show on screen you have to use developer 1. Problem is this will spam developer messages so a work around is to just do it for the echo.

Example:

If you want it to show you when your class.cfg's load change the line in the config to this

developer 1
wait
echo spy config loaded
wait
developer 0

Acciaccatura
09-26-2007, 07:29 PM
Steam did something to mess up the echo messages, if you want them to show on screen you have to use developer 1. Problem is this will spam developer messages so a work around is to just do it for the echo.

Example:

If you want it to show you when your class.cfg's load change the line in the config to this

developer 1
wait
echo spy config loaded
wait
developer 0

Pretty sure this won't work, unless you're playing on a server with sv_cheats set to 1, as changing the developer mode is now locked unless cheats are enabled.

Paft
09-26-2007, 07:34 PM
I knew that like but thanks. That "work around" wont work because echos don't show on screen at all. That's what I was doing but in personal scripts. No, dev doesn't require sv_cheats 1.

Dr.Satan
09-26-2007, 07:42 PM
I knew that like but thanks. That "work around" wont work because echos don't show on screen at all. That's what I was doing but in personal scripts. No, dev doesn't require sv_cheats 1.

It worked with all of my TFC configs, idk why it wouldn't for FF, but I will have to test it when i get home...stupid steam always messing crap up!

Acciaccatura
09-26-2007, 07:49 PM

You're wrong.

http://www.chriscollins.info/ff_well0000.jpg

Paft
09-26-2007, 08:03 PM
Silly since this is a FF forum and thread but the query was in TFC not FF. That's why I said "in TFC". I have known about it since the switch to steam but never bothered to see why this is. As it's only trivial.

Lord Asriel
09-27-2007, 11:25 AM
Thats nuts.
1) Indeed it needs sv_cheats, found out myself
2) Even then it would indeed spam all these developer stuff. I recall there was a -dev2 mode as well, used for this kind of "spam"? I mean I'm really tired. This steam has only created problems from my point of view.

Can't anything be done about this?
I understand that it might be impossible to keep the good old echo messages eg "Lord Asriel killed TF2Lover with axe" without the spam but can't we at least have something like a messagemode to self?